I shudder to think. . .

/ I shudder to think. . . #21  
OH, as to the original question.... I wear thin leather gloves when operating the tractor in warm weather and of course, heavy gloves in the cold. Now that my wedding ring is on my pinky until I can get to the jeweler to have it resized, I sometimes apply a clear bandaid on my finger in front of the ring. You can hardly see the bandaid and the ring won't slip past that.

/ I shudder to think. . . #22  
Am I the only one that thought he was going to say there was a finger or part of a finger on the dirt pile?

Keith

Nope....I started wiggling my fingers and readjusting my seat about half way through.
I was with a friend/coworker when he lost his finger coming down a scaffold because of his wedding ring. It was quickly and completely removed right in front of me. It landed at my feet and I almost stepped on it.

I don't like gloves either, I find I'm always taking them off for some extra dexterity and putting them back on.
Immediately after that incident I quit wearing rings. I took my wedding ring off and never wore it again, with the exception of when my wife insisted...holiday gatherings and such. I don't own any jewellery, I even quit wearing my Seiko years ago.
I like my fingers.......

/ I shudder to think. . . #23  
Well this did happen to me about 30 years ago while on the job in the woods. I never found it. I came home and told my wife I had lost one of our wedding rings and she simply stared at me for a bit, smiled and said: "At least YOU no longer have a reminder"….. Full of sweetness that one.

/ I shudder to think. . . #24  
WoW! Lucky you.

My wife placed it on my finger, 26 years ago, it has never been off. Too lucky.

/ I shudder to think. . . #25  
You're very lucky to have noticed it, Had you not of noticed it you may have went hours or days before realizing it was missing, I wonder what you would have thought happen to it? had you not noticed it gone until later,
I never have had an issue with loose rings, As a child I had this impulsive finger cracking thing I'd do, My Mother used to tell me one day my knuckles will be all large and knobby looking, Guess what! Mom was right! Once a ring goes on these fingers it doesn't easily come back off,

/ I shudder to think. . . #26  
I lost mine (first wife and the ring that went with her) the RING came off during a snow ball fight at my sisters house the first winter, It was BRAND NEW x-Mas gift from wifie, the original was a plated cheapo as we were young & broke. Hers was a little better quality ring. I found the ring that came off while leftie throwing the snow ball didnt notice it was gone for about 3 hrs. it was dark and I looked in yard w flashlight no luck warm up came over night and next day it was gleaming in the sun. I lost the wife couple years later but the ring is on a old key chain somewhere around here, probably worth 3 times what I paid back in the late 80's from ON BASE duty free store. Kept it for Sentimental reasons and reminder. Never held grudge with my EX we talked on & off over the years. She got re-married & had family but her NEW hubbie turned to drugs & she left him.

Mark

/ I shudder to think. . . #27  
I'm sincerely glad that you were fortunate to find your ring. I, like some others, haven't wore a ring or any jewelry for many years. My Wife and I have been married 41 years, and she is my One and Only, even if my wedding band is locked way. Happy Thanksgiving to You and your Family also.

/ I shudder to think. . . #28  
My wedding band is the only jewelry I own or wear. No danger of me loosing it as I have fat fingers. To the OP I am glad you saw the ring or you would have spent hours looking and likely would have never found it.

/ I shudder to think. . . #29  
When I went into the Army, they had pictures of fingers stripped of the flesh from when rings became caught on something. Mine came off then and has never been back on. In my jobs over the years I always felt to unsafe with one after seeing screwdrivers melt on shorts. My wife understands that even though I am retired, I drive a tractor around and work on things in my hobby cabinet shop that would still be a danger.

/ I shudder to think. . .
Wow! It seems many of us have had ring experiences, but with a wide spectrum of outcomes. With my first marriage, I was married only a year and went into the US Navy to avoid being drafted. I ended up agreeing to extend my enlistment by two years for technical school. As it turned out, I spent almost the complete two additional years going to service schools before my first shipboard duty. While onboard ship and working around high power circuits in missile control radars, I removed my ring. Those were the days of vacuum tubes and lots of circuits with 350 and 150 vdc everywhere. The one time I got shocked was from a backward wave oscillator (BWO) tube high voltage supply and did not have my ring on. Luckily, the power went into the palm of my hand and out the backside with plenty of skin in contact, so all it did was hurt really bad and teach me a lesson. When I got divorced after seven years of marriage, I kept my ring and my wife gave me back her ring. I still have them and need to remember to take them to a gold & silver exchange store some day. I also have one of those big heavy gold chains that were so popular in the '70s and still popular in the NFL and NBA.:D

I got married again in 2005 after many years of being single. I think this is the marriage I should have had in the beginning.:thumbsup: My wife has a cleaning solution and asks me about twice a year to let me have my ring for cleaning. That's the only time I've ever taken it off. I know all the dangers associated with rotating machinery and welding, so if I ever get close to those on a regular basis, I will take off the ring for safety.:)

I'm sorry if I misled some of you and you thought of something physically more alarming than the ring laying there. Since I take blood thinners, about the only physically alarming thing that occurs is feeling something wet on my hand/arm and looking down to see blood streaming out of what is not much more than a scratch. I was recently giving blood samples and the nurse was having trouble finding a vein. I told her to just scratch me and she'd have plenty of blood.;) Unfortunately, that wouldn't be sanitary and their collection hardware isn't designed to take blood dripping from a stream. :rolleyes:

Bob, indeed, it seems your story and mine are on a parallel. Everything from the type of ring to having it come off in a place it could be lost forever is similar. I'm so glad you found your ring in the trash before it was hauled off. Recently, my wife lost her remote door lock clicker for our car. She told me that it might be in the trash, so I went 'dumpster diving' inside our 65 gallon trash bin. Need I mention that the stuff at the bottom of the lowest bag in the barrel is close to smelling like a baby's poopy diaper?:p After searching and discovering nothing but 'stink', I ordered a replacement. It arrived and I did the programming (a fun routine of opening/closing the driver's door and turning the key on/off within certain time limits. If I had been doing that in the Walmart parking lot, I would surely have had somebody call the cops on me.:D Anyhow, I got new keys made also and everything was back to normal. Then, my wife stopped by the local resale shop to see if any of her stuff had sold. She not only had money, but also her set of keys.:cool2: It seems she was loading up our Pontiac Vibe when she realized she wanted to take something bigger and her van would be better. She had the Vibe key in her hand and inadvertently dropped it into one of the boxes as she loaded them into the van. The van's keys and Vibe keys are on separate key chains (her choice) so she didn't catch the missing key until days later.