Buying Advice I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year!

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year! #1  

W5FL

Veteran Member
Tractor
TYM T-1104/TX10 Loader Kubota M6800SD/LA1002 Loader Kubota RTV900
My open M6800 is in good shape and only 21 years old, but I plan to upgrade from 68 hp to 111 hp with an a/c cab. I really want a new Tier 4 (like I have a choice) tractor with a good loader. Choices seem to me to be:
1) Kubota M6-111
2) Kioti PX-1153PC
3) TYM T-1104

I would like to do all the maintenance at the farm. Workshop manuals are available, but I am not certain that any other tools are available. Are these models reliable enough to risk the amount of cash necessary to purchase them?

Raise livestock, plant crops, feed round bales, farm maintenance, loading and unloading are regular choirs. All suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year! #2  
I've not seen any data to support that new Tier IV tractors are having reliability problems as long as they are operated according to the instructions in the owners manuals. I think that is the key - with the new emissions controls these new tractors have to be operated a bit differently than pre-Tier IV units.

I too was very apprehensive when I bought my M7060HDC12. But I read the owners manual thoroughly and follow it religiously and in 500+ hours of operation have had absolutely no problems at all. I know the tractor goes through a regeneration cycle occasionally because I see the light is on in the dash but otherwise I cannot tell the difference. I just make sure I don't shut it down when the regen cycle is going on because according to the owners manual that is a no-no.

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year! #3  
Double the HP, quadruple the fun!

I’ve had no issues with manuals or turning my own wrenches on my MX and M4 so far. Can’t speak to the others. I’m not super high hours, I’ll hit 400 late June on the M4 and it will be about 17 months old. MX I’ve had six years and other than an improperly tightened oil drain plug…has been easy to keep running with the workshop manuals and only money I’ve had to spend other than routine maint was to replace the rubber boots on the steering rod.

After I found messicks I kind of doubled down on Kubota because my job moves me all the time. Lived here longer than anywhere else so far. I did just pick up an MF baler though and briefly took a look at tractors while I was waiting on paperwork and was really impressed from the looks, appearance and layout seemed much better than Deere, if I get another big one MF may be on the choices list.

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year! #4  
I looked at most of the brands and decided on Massey Ferguson. I ordered it in November and it could be here any day, or next month. Right now, it's just a waiting game.

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year!
I've not seen any data to support that new Tier IV tractors are having reliability problems as long as they are operated according to the instructions in the owners manuals. I think that is the key - with the new emissions controls these new tractors have to be operated a bit differently than pre-Tier IV units.

I too was very apprehensive when I bought my M7060HDC12. But I read the owners manual thoroughly and follow it religiously and in 500+ hours of operation have had absolutely no problems at all. I know the tractor goes through a regeneration cycle occasionally because I see the light is on in the dash but otherwise I cannot tell the difference. I just make sure I don't shut it down when the regen cycle is going on because according to the owners manual that is a no-no.
That is good information to know since you read so many stories of equipment that cannot be repaired. I found the owners manuals, and looks like the workshop manuals are available, but are still pretty expensive just to study them. Any good sources?

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year! #6  
Think the main thing is, don't run 'em at low idle for an extended time...
I always increase RPM to 1500 or so, once the oil pressure is OK

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year!
Double the HP, quadruple the fun!

I’ve had no issues with manuals or turning my own wrenches on my MX and M4 so far. Can’t speak to the others. I’m not super high hours, I’ll hit 400 late June on the M4 and it will be about 17 months old. MX I’ve had six years and other than an improperly tightened oil drain plug…has been easy to keep running with the workshop manuals and only money I’ve had to spend other than routine maint was to replace the rubber boots on the steering rod.

After I found messicks I kind of doubled down on Kubota because my job moves me all the time. Lived here longer than anywhere else so far. I did just pick up an MF baler though and briefly took a look at tractors while I was waiting on paperwork and was really impressed from the looks, appearance and layout seemed much better than Deere, if I get another big one MF may be on the choices list.
Doubling the HP allows more work to be done at higher speeds. I have not found anyone who is familiar with all three tractors to help make a decision since the cost differences are significant.

I really like the M4. It is probably more reliable since it does not use DEF fluid, but sure hate not to get the HP jump at the same time as the cab upgrade.

My M6800 is too light for handling a lot of 5x5 bales or over a ton on the pallet forks even with loaded tires.

Messicks has always been a good supplier to me.

Does the workshop manual include the engine?

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year! #8  
Need or want?

I hate to be the preverbal turd in the punch bowl, but buying anything that rides one wheels right now is pretty much MSRP+. Yes, there are exceptions and if you find one, go for it and count yourself lucky.

I certainly don't have a crystal ball, but I think I would wait until the market rights itself before making a purchase. Might save thousands.

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year! #9  
Need or want?

I hate to be the preverbal turd in the punch bowl, but buying anything that rides one wheels right now is pretty much MSRP+. Yes, there are exceptions and if you find one, go for it and count yourself lucky.

I certainly don't have a crystal ball, but I think I would wait until the market rights itself before making a purchase. Might save thousands.
Good point! Prices are up dramatically...almost doubled, in some cases..
I think everyone who reads a newspaper (paper or online) or watches TV can figure out why...

/ I want to buy a new Tier 4 tractor this year! #10  
Looked at a new Ls the other day .4k more than a yr ago.