Ideas for spot gravel application

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #1  

dsaw

Tractor
None
I'm looking for ways to apply spot applications of gravel on forest trails far from home base. I have about 1 mile of main trails through forests that have decent trails, but need some rock in spots for all weather travel. I'm looking at getting into maple syrup collecting more seriously this year, so I want to improve these trails. They are not remotely wide enough for dump trucks. And some are cut into rock cliffs, so there isn't easy/cheap ways to widen them (limestone one side, 300'+ drop off other side). I have a Kubota L3940 w/loader. I also have a frame from a jeep trailer I built up to be a people hauler, but can also be used to haul some rock (they're only rated for 640 lbs payload cross country, 900 or so on highway; considering the slow speeds I'll be going, I'm assuming around 900 lbs capacity, or about 9 cu ft of gravel. My closest point to get gravel delivered is about 1/3-1/2 mile from where I really need it, so a scoop at a time gets really slow. I'm not looking to gravel all of the trails, just the soft spots; probably 1/8-1/4 of the trails. I searched the archives but nothing obviously similar popped up. My idea for the FEL is to build a spacer I can place over the middle of it after it's loaded to keep gravel from being dumped out the middle, and then an additional cover that could be put on one side if I only want to cover one side of a trail (or to build up one side more then the other, since it seams one side often needs more then the other). The metal covers could have some plywood ramps placed on them to direct the gravel to one side or another.

For the trailer, I need a way to dump to one side or the other, or both. Looking for ideas. I'm not going to build a dump trailer, so it'll probably be a system where my wife drives and I shove it out a direct-able shoot. I obviously have some crude ideas of what I'm looking for, but before re-inventing the wheel I'm looking for what other ideas are out there. Thanks.

IMG_1332.jpg

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #2  
You could find a old pickup bed trailer and build a divided tail gate on it.

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #3  
How about a manure spreader? Something that could haul a decent volume, then mechanically spread it where needed. I have no idea if one would be suitable, but the concept seems like it might be applicable to a custom built unit. Otherwise, those hand-cranked truck bed conveyor things you see at Northern Tool for unloading material from a pickup bed might work. Maybe build a truck bed trailer with one of those in it?

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #4  
A clam bucket for tractor would do the trick, fill the clam bucket and trailer and away you go.

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #5  
My first thought is that you can safely haul much more weight on the 3 point hitch end of the tractor than you can with the loader, so possibly a large weight box that can be loaded then shoved or shoveled off where needed, eliminates the need of dealing with a trailer, (finding a spot to turn around or backing down for the next load).Possible to modify and incorporate a pick up style un-loader into the box. Can also put some load into the bucket to assist with steering weight.

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #6  
   / Ideas for spot gravel application
My first thought is that you can safely haul much more weight on the 3 point hitch end of the tractor than you can with the loader, so possibly a large weight box that can be loaded then shoved or shoveled off where needed, eliminates the need of dealing with a trailer, (finding a spot to turn around or backing down for the next load).Possible to modify and incorporate a pick up style un-loader into the box. Can also put some load into the bucket to assist with steering weight.

I like this idea. I was planning on buying a 3 pt Carry-all to mount the syrup tank on, so I can also build a box that can be used for dumping gravel. Would also be much more stable with weight on both ends, I was a bit worried about weight in the bucket + weight on end of trailer giving me a fairly light rear end. I can mount it at an angle, then maybe have a door on each side with a rope to open them. If I wanted to get complex, I could run a rod from the door to the ROPS and then use the 3 pt controls to raise and lower the box, thereby opening an closing the door.

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #8  
Let me tell you of my experiences. I built a farm wagon - 10 ton capacity. The running gear is from Horst. I go to my gravel pile-load the trailer and then trundle off to where I need gravel. I shovel the needed gravel off by hand. Experience from using my neighbors bright shiny new dump trailer shows that about 100% of the time - all the gravel will dump out the first time the dump trailer is raised. This is why when I built my own - it does not have the dump feature. Old-fashion - - yes, but I get the amount of gravel exactly where I want it every time.View attachment 404507

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #9  
Do you have the ability to maneuver a trailer, and turn it around easily for the return trip? I have an old 4x8' utility trailer that I use behind my L3200, and it's a great match. But in spaces that are tight for the tractor, it becomes *really* tight for the tractor and trailer combined, especially in corners and curves with trees nearby. Never realized how much tighter a trail can get just be towing something that can pivot out of phase with the tractor steering. So make absolutely sure you have a lot of extra room before pulling a trailer.

If you only have to go 1/3 to 1/2 mile, that's not so bad for a bucket full, as long as you get good heaping scoops. I have ferried material for longer than that using only the front bucket when other options were not practical.

The other downside to my trailer is that I can't really dump it. So while I can load it with the tractor, removing material involves shoveling. I attach the trailer via a 3-pt hitch drawbar receiver, so I can lift the 3-pt all the way and get some dumping angle, which helps a little. But a full on dump trailer would be much nicer.

There are devices that use heavy tarp on a roller that let you "unroll" heavy material out of a flat trailer to dump it, just by turning a crank. Not sure of the cost or practicality, or the weight they can handle. But maybe look into those.

/ Ideas for spot gravel application #10  
in our country there are huge sprinklers that water the fields and the ruts are a problem some have come up with ways to fill the ruts,

this is posted for an Idea, to copy on a smaller scale
Oteco - DragTimes.com

FARM SHOW - Center Pivot "Rut Filler"

a hopper bottom would be Ideal but a small dump trailer with a "tail gate spreader type attachment" and chutes to guide it to the ruts,

DownEaster MFG Mid size spreader page

Buyers Saltdogg 92420SSA Under Tailgate Dump Salt Spreader Stainless Hydraulic | eBay

most have a hydraulic auger that controls the amount of materials spread,

or have a pipe with lugs that distribute it as it turns,