If you could only own one trailer...

/ If you could only own one trailer... #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
If you could only own and afford one trailer, what would you have? A bumper pull, or a gooseneck? Pintle hook or ball? Tilting deck or ramps? Deck over the wheels or between the wheels? A dump trailer?

If I get a trailer, I'm leaning towards a deck between the wheels for the lower center of gravity to haul my tractor w/FEL and rotary cutter should the need arise. I'd also like to be able to haul 20' sticks of pipe, lumber, etc. A dump trailer looks cool; but I'm afraid I'd be limiting myself as to what I could do with it.

My tow vehicle is a '99 F-250 Super Duty Super Cab long bed 4x4 with a V-10, 5-speed, and 4.31 limited slip rear end. I have a Draw-Tite Class V hitch on it now, and a gooseneck hitch could be added if need be. I also have an electric trailer brake controller installed.

I'm not concerned with brands at this time as that seems to be a regional preference and availability matter.

/ If you could only own one trailer... #2  
I am just the guy to answer your question with my opinion. I own about 12 trailers and each one has it's own use, I have a motorcycle trailer for bike and a steel trailer for when I pick up a load of steel and a car trailer for my Corvette and another one for my case skid steer.
Now My opinion, I love the deck over for the width (8'6") I have ramps and I wanted tilt, tilt is only good for one item or it wont tilt one way or the other, mine is 25' long and it will do me just fine. And the goose neck or bumper pull question. If mine is broke down for whatever reason, I have friends with bumper hitches, and none with GN
Thats just my opinion
you will get lots of replies like asking about wire or stick welders :D I own 2 wire welders
Jim

:)

/ If you could only own one trailer... #3  
I'm looking Bumper Pull as well because it is more versatile even though I have a 5th wheel hitch as well for my RV.
The lower deck between wheels is a must for me because my backhoe drags while loading. the deck over wheels would require much longer ramps and/or a tilt bed.
I follow the KISS principle (also lowest cost..) so a low deck flatbed should be behind my truck soon.

/ If you could only own one trailer... #4  
I sold the 16' lowboy and bought a GN 20' overdeck with 5' dovetail & ramps.
For me it was the best option. Hauls the tractor w/attachments, hauls a broke down vehicle, hauls pipe, lumber, etc., can even haul the 4-wheeler (although it looks ridulously stupid sittin up there.)

I would also like to have a dump trailer for dirt, gravel, etc.

/ If you could only own one trailer... #5  
My Gooseneck stock trailer.:D For and equipment trailer I have a 25+5 gooseneck trailer with 3 7000# axles. It does everything I need and I sold all my other trailers after I got it, except the stock trailer of course.

/ If you could only own one trailer... #6  
Well, my answer would be a 20+5 GN deckover with either three ramps or a popup between two...

/ If you could only own one trailer... #7  
This question is loaded and there is no good answer. There are times my 18' tandem bumper pull is just fine but there are other times I wish I had a semi. Get what does 95% of what you need, that is the best you can do. If its a long term trailer I would go with bumper pull so you can have a better chance of being able to pull it with what you are driving at the time. With a GN you are stuck driving a truck, not a van, car, or suv.

Chris

/ If you could only own one trailer... #8  
If the load is under 4-5 tons, like most of you guys, I think the best answer is to own no trailer at all.

Buy a new/used 450/550 or 4500/5500 or medium duty long rollback truck with an aluminum body. The ramp down to the ground makes tractor loading so easy. The the truck itself becomes a trailer. You can put tool boxes on the frame for tools, chains, saws, compressor, etc. Add removeable 12-18" panels on the sides so it can hold cargo like a pickup. Unloading it would just be icing on the cake. Push a button and it's like a low angle dump truck or all at ground level or a ramp for unloading.

Make extra money on the side hauling cars & equipment for others. Add 4x4 for plowing parking lots or shed delivery off pavement. Add a winch to the bulkhead and you can load broken down equip, cars, etc.

These are amazingly versatile trucks. I learned this from a friend who owns one. He owns a Lo-Pro 4700 with a rollback and delivers & picks up tractors, rentals etc for me.

/ If you could only own one trailer... #9  
My trailer I could not live with out is a 30' gooseneck that has 2-8ks I would agree no body ever gets to borrow it as most budies don't have goosenecks in there trucks which is a pluse. I have hauled every thing from small dozers, 40' pieces of steel, atv's & 2 stocks @ one time.

The best trailer is one you will use & fits your needs, after you have your trailer for a year or two you will handle it like it was part of your truck.

Always buy the a heaviest axle you can as you will overload the trailer some day & a heavier axle will give you a larger safety margin.

/ If you could only own one trailer... #10  
After thinking about this great thread, I could not live with just one trailer, I can just picture 1 motorcycle on a 25' deck/over :eek:
Gotta have my trailers :D
:)