If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get?

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #21  
Everybody talking about how fast they can mow. I didn't move to the country and buy a bunch of land to spend as little time as possible out on it. I put on my noise canceling headphones and some music and I can stay out there all day. It reminds me of golfers who brag about how fast they can play 18 holes. And if I ever decide I don't have time to mow it, I'll just let it grow.
I hear you. With kids, sports, school, and work it is a juggling act. Once the mowing is done, I can get onto the stuff I really want to do on the property :)

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #22  
Everybody talking about how fast they can mow. I didn't move to the country and buy a bunch of land to spend as little time as possible out on it. I put on my noise canceling headphones and some music and I can stay out there all day. It reminds me of golfers who brag about how fast they can play 18 holes. And if I ever decide I don't have time to mow it, I'll just let it grow.
I mow 7 acres. In the summer it can be every 4 days or so. It took me 4.5 hours with my JD x758 tractor with 60" deck. With my zero turn I can get it done in 3 hours. I love mowing, but I have a lot of other fun things to do in the summer so reducing mowing time a little is important to me. If mowing was my only 'hobby' I'm sure I'd think differently. In MN we don't get a lot of summer though...

And no, I don't mow at 13mph really. That was sarcasm because this thread is primarily about rear finish mowers on a CUT, which are WAY slower.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #23  
I enjoy my two hours mowing - this time of year. When things dry out - not so much fun. Like playing with go-carts in a dust bowl.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #25  
I mow 7 acres. In the summer it can be every 4 days or so. It took me 4.5 hours with my JD x758 tractor with 60" deck. With my zero turn I can get it done in 3 hours. I love mowing, but I have a lot of other fun things to do in the summer so reducing mowing time a little is important to me. If mowing was my only 'hobby' I'm sure I'd think differently. In MN we don't get a lot of summer though...

And no, I don't mow at 13mph really. That was sarcasm because this thread is primarily about rear finish mowers on a CUT, which are WAY slower.
How much gas do you use mowing 7 acres? My zero turn uses a lot more fuel to mow the same area as my tractor does. The tractor is diesel.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #26  
Yes. But does your bank account want one?
that is the problem :)

does anybody here have a DIXIE CHOPPER ? I saw them featured on Orange County Choppers one time and loved it.

there are a few zero turns that grab my attention, but my Land Pride mower deck is fine, does the job

Last edited:
   / If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #27  
I use my JD 570 to mow my "lawns". I have two acres of lawn. If I traveled much over 3-4 mph - a seat belt would not keep me on the mower. About 80% of my "lawns" are mowed field grass. And with all the associated bumps, dips, ruts - etc.

It takes me a full two hours to mow my two acres of lawns.
Yep. My “lawns” were all woods and cow pasture a few years ago. They would beat me and the mower to death if I tried to race around.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #28  
I have the Landpride 5 ft rear discharge mower. I bought it new I 2004, and it is still giving a nice cut with no clumping of the cut grass.

I don’t let my grass get much over 6 inches, so that probably factors in the results.
Overall, I am a big fan of Landpride products.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #29  
Why?

Let 5 of it go back to rough(er).
I too mow about 7 acres closest to the house. Why? Rattlesnakes and fires. We like to walk on the property with the pugs without stepping on a snake (which like to hang out in the tall grass). I also want to drive anywhere on my property without setting it on fire. If there is a fire, there is no fire department to get here before the house goes up in flames.

I only have to mow a few times in the spring. Mowing season is pretty much over here in May, so fuel used to mow isn't a real concern.

Your mileage may vary...

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #30  
Well, I would not get a damn 4' wide finish mower to mow the acres my family cuts... It works, but it's too small. I can whip around on the 8N with it, and get a pretty good job done on the "lawn" acres in 2 or 3 hours. When I run the same area with the Walker with the 42" deck, it takes way longer, but the trimming is done tight. Of course, the Walker beats me up with no suspension, and a lot of rougher ground.
Going to look at a JD 272 later today. At least that puts me at a 6' cut. It's a stopgap as I'm still working on getting my 6' finish flail going.
It's almost like my father and uncle just wanted to spend as much time as possible cutting grass... I like the grass cut, and I'll be cutting just as much, but the equipment is for sure going to get bigger/faster, and anything I need to do fussy trimming around is going to get simplified somehow... There's way too many other things I would like to be able to do than just cutting grass. (and yes, I love seat time, but I can be in the seat doing other things too.)