Ignition Switch

/ Ignition Switch #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
Lately when I go to start my PT-422, it will click two or three times like a dead battery then it will start to turn over and start. Is that a sign that the ignition switch is starting to go bad. If so does anyone have a part number and source for a new one.

Thank you,
Frank

/ Ignition Switch #2  
Try checking to make sure your ground is making good contact

/ Ignition Switch #3  
Frank, pull out your volt meter. It can be a bad ground, a bad switch, or a bad starter solenoid.

/ Ignition Switch #4  
Mine does the same thing. Its been doing it for a couple years. I'm going to replace my starter solenoid before winter, just to be on the safe side. I may also replace the ignition switch, as it has been frozen with ice a few times in the last two years. At 14 years old, it can't hurt.

/ Ignition Switch #5  
Squirt some WD40 into the key slot and work the switch a few times.
Th WD will re dissolve the dry caked lubricant inside and basically overhaul your switch. (it is non corrosive)

/ Ignition Switch #7  
check voltage at solenoid when key turned to start and it is clicking.. if it is getting full 12v, then suspect the solenoid.

/ Ignition Switch #8  
Don't love WD 40. It attracts dirt and this repair would be temporary in that case.

I was aware of using Electronics cleaner spray, then spraying graphite, that seemed to be the better solution. Costs more, though.

/ Ignition Switch #9  
X2 on this one. Use electrical contact cleaner and follow it up with a dry contact lubricant such as graphite, or teflon.

WD40 is "Water Displacement, recipe 40", a light mineral oil and it will attract crud into the switch that you don't want.

A volt meter will certainly help you figure out if you are getting 12V at the starter solenoid, or not, and you can work backward from there.

Good luck,

Peter

Don't love WD 40. It attracts dirt and this repair would be temporary in that case.

I was aware of using Electronics cleaner spray, then spraying graphite, that seemed to be the better solution. Costs more, though.

/ Ignition Switch
I did squirt WD40 in the ignition slot before I read the later posts. It did not help. I will try using a volt meter to the solenoid.