Ignition Switch

/ Ignition Switch #11  
Well crud! I pulled my PT up onto my trailer, shut it off. Got the truck hooked to the trailer, got out the chains to chain the PT down. Went to start up the PT to position it on the trailer for good tongue weight and....

no clicky.

:banghead:

:laughing:

Got an ignition switch at Rural King for $9.99 and that didn't change it at all. Put 12V across the big terminals on the starter and it spins but doesn't engage the flywheel. Pulled the starter and took it to a local lawn and garden/Kioti dealer to ask them to test it. Counter person looks at me like I'm nuts. "Test it?". Yes, test it. She takes it back in back and comes back 5 minutes later and says, "It spins, but probably not the way you want it to. Maybe you should clean it."

Can you get me a price on a new one?
"What kind of tractor is it out of?"
A Power Trac PT425.
"That's not on my list."
I figured that, its a Kohler CH25S engine.
"What model engine is that?"
A Kohler CH25S.
"I don't have anything for that."
There's a Kohler part # right here on the starter.
"I don't think that's a part #."
Can you just look in a service manual for a Kohler CH25S and get the part # for a starter?
"I don't have a service manual."
I'll bet your mechanic does (This is a HUGE dealership).
"Well I don't."
Please just look up this number from the starter.
"It doesn't come back with anything."
Can I talk to your mechanic?
Guy in back of the counter comes up, asks what's going on. I tell him I need a price on this starter. He points at the part # on the starter and has the lady punch it into the computer.
"See, nothing comes up" she says.
"See that note that says "Part number has changed?" he says.
"Its a new part number" he says.
"$257.00" she says and give me the stink eye.

No thanks. And I drive to the other side of town to a small engine shop. He looks at it, pops the # in his system. $227 for genuine Kohler. $155 for aftermarket. $155 it is. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, no tractor for me for 3-4 business days. :(

/ Ignition Switch #12  
do those use a seperate bendix?

Ditto on being flabergasted that people can't lookup without a specific application...

/ Ignition Switch #13  
Customer service seems to be a challenging concept for many people these days.

Online seems to be a chunk cheaper $70. KOHLER 25 098 11-S STARTER MOTOR OEM is still $135-ish.

Good luck.

All the best, Peter

/ Ignition Switch #14  

Online seems to be a chunk cheaper $70. KOHLER 25 098 11-S STARTER MOTOR OEM is still $135-ish.

Good luck.

All the best, Peter

yup.. mower spindles are almost 2x at my local dealer vs say.. amazon..

/ Ignition Switch #15  

Good luck.

All the best, Peter

I was looking at that one, but it doesn't look exactly like mine. I'll find out what I get on Friday, hopefully.

/ Ignition Switch #16  
I was looking at that one, but it doesn't look exactly like mine. I'll find out what I get on Friday, hopefully.

Well my 4-5 business days turned into about 20 hours! :thumbsup:

Got the starter. It doesn't look like mine. It looks like the one for <$80. Bummer. However, it fits, it works and the tractor starts up just fine now, so barring rain, I get to haul logs on Friday. Woo Hoo!! :cool2:

/ Ignition Switch #17  
Lucky you! :)

glad it worked!

/ Ignition Switch #18  
I was pretty happy with how easy it goes in and out. One nut for the 4 wires and two bolts to hold the starter on. Pretty easy access on the side of the engine. Its a 10 minute job to swap it out.

Now I'm wondering if I can rebuild the one I took out, or just toss it? Nothing urgent. Don't know if its worth rebuilding if it only $80-150 to replace it. Something for me to think about.

/ Ignition Switch #19  
If its in hand, I'd sure take a look. If you can rebuild it for 35$ of brushes, lube and sandpaper/hacksaw time.. Might be a good spare.

/ Ignition Switch #20  
Dear MR,

Have a look, but since it died by spinning and not engaging, the odds are on a broken spring (doable) or a bad gear (not so doable) or a bad winding (really not doable, at least in my book.)

All the best,

Peter

I was pretty happy with how easy it goes in and out. One nut for the 4 wires and two bolts to hold the starter on. Pretty easy access on the side of the engine. Its a 10 minute job to swap it out.

Now I'm wondering if I can rebuild the one I took out, or just toss it? Nothing urgent. Don't know if its worth rebuilding if it only $80-150 to replace it. Something for me to think about.