Ignition switch

/ Ignition switch #1  

DonRybak

Gold Member
Tractor
RK37HC
I've often wondered about listening to radio with the tractor shut down but the ignition switch in the on position. Most vehicles have an accessory position to use for radio, windows and so forth without applying power to the rest of the vehicle modules. Anyone know if having the ignition switch in the on position on the RK's to listen to the radio while the tractor is shut off is damaging to the ECU or other items?

/ Ignition switch #2  
As far as know, I don't KNOW. I believe the ACC position came about on cars and trucks due to current flow through the points when in the RUN position. This could sometimes burn points. Many newer cars and trucks have no ACC position.

/ Ignition switch
Morning Roadworthy. I agree with you on the point of the old distributor points issue. I had a 1955 Chevy in the 60's that the points stuck themselves closed. What I didn't know was that some vehicles don't have the accessory position. I'm worried about putting power to the ECU, fuel pump and so forth when not needed so I guess I won't do it........

/ Ignition switch #4  
That's probably a valid thought. You may wish to consider adding a separate power line and an SPDT toggle switch to provide power to the radio when not running the tractor. This type switch select either the tractor power or the added line for the radio only - if you're a bit handy with wiring.