I'm stumped..

/ I'm stumped.. #41  
Re: I\'m stumped..

what size is your tractor? I am also in CT and have a 2' oak stump to remove.

/ I'm stumped.. #42  

I have a 25 hp Kioti, with the appropriate Kioti backhoe. It works great. I have 16 and 12 inch buckets. They both work for stumps. Maybe the 12" cuts roots a little better.
The biggest problem I have is to get the stumps out of the hole once its loose. My backhoe won't pick
up the large ones. I have to roll them out of the hole and sometimes even throw logs in under them
and do it in stages so I can get another bite with the hoe.

/ I'm stumped.. #43  

Junkman

I have the 11' hoe on my TN. As you know I'm only a few miles from you. I'll give you a hand with the stump.

Andy

/ I'm stumped.. #44  

Here is a big pine stump falling victim to my Warn 8000# winch. I used 3 pulleys, giving me 4 times the pull. The Woods backhoe on the JD4310 broke the roots on the upper side. The winch was really groaning when the stump finally started to lift. The disk of clay that came up was about 8' diameter. I used the hoe to clean it off.

Attachments

• 332815-IMG_3648.jpg
    332815-IMG_3648.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 252
   / I'm stumped.. #45  

Another view

Attachments

• 332816-IMG_3647.jpg
    332816-IMG_3647.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 204
   / I'm stumped.. #46  

Andy..... I don't know that I am going to tackle this one before winter, but I will keep your generous offer in mind. I might have an excavator here in the spring for other work and if I do, I will have it pulled by that.... thanks again... and don't forget about lunch one day soon..... Junkman

/ I'm stumped.. #47  

I have removed stumps from about 100 trees from 80 to 110 feet tall. Now, I have a full size backhoe (MF 50-HX) for this (my tractor is a compact JD 770). My method works well for me. I figure where to fell the tree, then park the hoe on the opposite side. I proceed to dig out the roots all around the tree but not on the side I am felling towards. I dig as near as possible to the tree. When I can't break a root, I dig farther out until I can. I do not dig under the tree. The tree won't fall on me because the far side roots are intact, and very strong.

When 3 sides of the tree are dug, I put the hoe bucket against the tree about 1-3 feet below the highest I can reach, and with the arm bent about 20 degrees. I now straighten the arm while lowering it. This gives the best leverage to push the tree away from me. Tree weight pulls out the tap root and most of the far side roots as it falls. The tree falls with the trunk elevated by some intact far side roots, about 1-2 feet above the ground. Just right for cutting without getting dirt on the chainsaw or the tree (I mill my own lumber, so I need clean trees). With the tree tipped over, I clean dirt and rocks from the roots with the hoe. This makes the stump lots lighter. The stump is above ground level, so no need to lift it. After I cut off the tree (and move it), I can push the stump away from me, pulling out the remaining roots with no effort.

I can fell a tree this way within +/- 15 degrees of where I want it. If I need more accuracy, I will cut the tree and dig out the stump, but that is about 25% more work.

Granted, I have a big backhoe, but I would use the same technique with a small hoe for trees up to 40-50 feet with no qualms. This is the fastest way I have found to remove a tree and stump with just a backhoe.

k2