Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,311  
I really have not faced up to the heat issue yet, I'm waiting until I head to the lake to really put some time on it and see how bad it is.

I do like quiet though, and being able to open that rear door easily is a plus for me but cooler operation may be more important than that. I read that you had talked bout your exhaust before but I don't believe I saw pictures of it.

Next up is figuring out a way to drain the oil without flooding the machine floor and making a huge mess. Do you think the drain plug is 3/8 NPT? And does it have a magnetic tip? I would like to have a short pipe extension with a cap similar to what my snow blower has if that is possible. I still have my break in oil in it and don't want to change it yet or even lose any oil removing the plug momentarily for a peek.

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_115235436.jpg
    IMG_20240507_115235436.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
#1,312  
Next up is figuring out a way to drain the oil without flooding the machine floor and making a huge mess. Do you think the drain plug is 3/8 NPT? And does it have a magnetic tip? I would like to have a short pipe extension with a cap similar to what my snow blower has if that is possible. I still have my break in oil in it and don't want to change it yet or even lose any oil removing the plug momentarily for a peek.
I did post pix about the muffler and manifold mods above. I would have to look for it, as you would.

I also posted about the oil changes, which can be messy. Just checking one of the 2 dipsticks will prob cause spillage, unless you tip the whole machine. I don't recall the thread size of the drain plug, but you can also use a rubber or plastic hose and stick it in the hole with the machine tipped, then tip it the other way with the boom to drain. I try to change every 25 hours, and use 15W40 oil.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,313  
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,314  
I did post pix about the muffler and manifold mods above. I would have to look for it, as you would.

I also posted about the oil changes, which can be messy. Just checking one of the 2 dipsticks will prob cause spillage, unless you tip the whole machine. I don't recall the thread size of the drain plug, but you can also use a rubber or plastic hose and stick it in the hole with the machine tipped, then tip it the other way with the boom to drain. I try to change every 25 hours, and use 15W40 oil.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,315  
I did check the oil level, it was about in he middle of the stick and I bought a couple of jugs of 15w50 Mobil 1 that I plan to use after break in. At least in the summer.
What type and how much oil for my lawn mower? | Briggs & Stratton

I think your 25 hour interval is one I'll follow as well and I really like D'oh's hydraulic hose oil drain line recommendation.

I did take apart that Pilot filter and determined the element was questionable and not easily replaceable so I ordered a new assembly from Grainger.

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_125814307.jpg
    IMG_20240507_125814307.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
#1,316  
I did take apart that Pilot filter and determined the element was questionable and not easily replaceable so I ordered a new assembly from Grainger.
[/QUOTE]
It does look like the filter is supposed to handle 15 microns, which is certainly better than nothing. It also seems to be one that you clean, rather than replace. Thx for posting.

A drain hose like DOH proposes is great, if you can fit it. I made something out of a pipe nipple and a small ball valve, but I could not make it fit with my ballast weights in the way.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,318  
I was working on the mini this morning in the garage and I lost all house rotation and stick movement. All other functions were normal. Another symptom was that the left joystick was hard to move and seemed to have pressure on it in all directions even when the machine was off.

After staring at it for awhile with a puzzled look on my face, I took the plastic sides off the joystick to inspect the valve but everything looked ok. I had recently had the filter apart that feeds fluid to the hand control so I was worried there was a restriction on the return line somewhere and it was not letting fluid back to the tank.

While trying to figure out which hose was the return, I noticed a hose that appeared to be pinched in between the sheet metal and a frame member. I had the floor pan off recently also, and I somehow didn't notice that hose had moved in the engine compartment and it got pinched when I tightened everything up.

I released the hose and all is ok now except for a slightly pinched hose and a badly bruised ego. I learned to put a few more straps around those hoses to keep them in place.

Attachments

• IMG_20240509_124225790_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240509_124225790_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240509_124233608_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240509_124233608_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240509_124340934_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240509_124340934_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,319  
I'm still reading through this whole thread - we just bought the attached photo (a 2024 MIVA VA13C 1-ton) at auction, and it seems plenty powerful for our 3/4 acre yard and all the projects we have planned. But, it's almost rolled a few times. Besides putting the backfill blade down, what else has anyone done to improve stability?

Attachments

• 4RdQoyjyeruBumcXOe7qA4Za.jpeg
    4RdQoyjyeruBumcXOe7qA4Za.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
#1,320  
Besides putting the backfill blade down, what else has anyone done to improve stability?

Welcome to TBN.

Yeah, these minis are tippy, and it is more top-heavy with the cabin. Yours looks like the longer track version (41 instead of 37 track drive links), and those units don't seem to have any ballast weights in the back. Adding some would help but that is a big job.

To avoid tipping over, I would suggest you don't run at wide-open throttle, until you get more used to the speed and jerkiness. You still need about 3000 RPM if running the 420cc gas engine.

The other thing to avoid, esp if on sloped ground, is not to swing the house around with a full load in the bucket when even slightly extended.

Be careful.