Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #441  
You guys sure don't make those things sound like a good deal!!

SR

I wouldn’t buy one. They’re not even that good of a deal after all the fees are paid. Sany is supposed to be a good machine and I probably would have one of those but they’re not priced low enough under a Deere or Kubota to appeal to me.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #442  
I wouldn’t buy one. They’re not even that good of a deal after all the fees are paid. Sany is supposed to be a good machine and I probably would have one of those but they’re not priced low enough under a Deere or Kubota to appeal to me.
Yeah, I think in the big machines the price difference gets bigger and bigger but for anything I've priced(6ton or less) the price difference isn't nearly enough to go chinese for me.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #443  
Yes Track Motors make the heat faster, I noticed that. The Temp gauge in the tank is impossible to read so I was assuming the darkening of the Oil was from Heat because Yes they do get Hot.
The hyd oil is getting brown? That should never happen. One of the first things I did (see above) is get rid of OEM fluid. You don't know what they used, it flushes out manufacturing dirt, and it is likely the cheapest stuff they could get.

Next is install a temp gauge. I use a passive capillary style, and try not to exceed 50C. The hyd motors for the tracks heat the oil fastest.

Finally, any cooler will help, but choose wisely for where you can install it and the current it draws is less than the capacity of your alternator.

If your hyd filter is properly installed, it is on the return path to the tank, which is low, but positive pressure. The inlet side of the pump can be subject to slight negative pressure, so sturdy hoses must be used. This location or either side of the filter will work if installed properly.
My Briggs has 10A, so I should be ok with this unit, but then I was thinking, working at an Auto Dealership with a Body Shop, I will try a fractured vehicle Elec. Fan and cool everything in the Dog House. Free so no loss if it doesn't work.

Looking at Pictures of my machine (it is at the Cabin) it appears that my Spin On Filter might be NPT anyways. Fitting measurements might require a smaller cooler anyways. But Flow might be a concern. kind of why I was considering the 13 gpm Cooler initially.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #444  
A 2006 Bob Cat 323 with 600 hours available locally for $22500+HST. So only 2x's+ what I have invested.

For basically a Shovel. Personal, at the Cabin. Sure I realize that there is Resale Values also, but $13K in my account is comfortable too.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
The calculation remains the same as when I started this thread: you can get a beater Kubota or Tak or IHI 1-ton for $10-12K + shipping, if you can find and inspect one Or you can get a new and tight China 1-ton for about $7500, with fewer features.

I have had a lot of beater tractors, and I eventually stopped fighting it and went with new and tight.

Somewhere in the backwoods of Shandong province, some one or a group of engineers/technicians designed the basic 1-ton mini, maybe 5-10y ago. It was well thought out in terms of cooling, using copies of the older small Yanmar L100 500cc diesel thumper. I was impressed how they ducted the cooling fan to take outside air into the house. This design sold all over the world where they don't care about emissions. Some were even sneaked into the US.

Flash forward to a few years ago where Americans (like me) talked to several factories about importing their units with an EPA- and CARB-legal engine. So some of the factories started shoe-horning the B&S XR2100 gas engine (a good engine made in China) into some units. Poorly.

That's really too bad, since I have shared with them how I installed my gas engine a much better way. My vendor (Xiniu) was not interested, since they are a big factory selling much larger excavators.

Many other smaller factories now offer a poorly-integrated gas engine. All fixable for the DIY user, but needing some fixes right off the boat, IMO.

One more thing: those crate motors you get from B&S, Honda, LCT, HarborFright, etc. are not really designed to be all closed up in a compartment. They need to breathe to stay cool. If the inside of the mini's house gets up to 150F, that is not really good for the gasoline tank. Vapor pressure will skyrocket, which is not good.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #446  
Many other smaller factories now offer a poorly-integrated gas engine. All fixable for the DIY user, but needing some fixes right off the boat, IMO.
Very factual. Some of the units I have seen have the B&S angled to fit the engine compartment, yet extended housings to hold the Hydraulic Pump. I would like to compare the heat from a slow rev'ing small diesel compared to a B&S, but it is what it is. It is easy just to leave some covers off if needed.

While searching for a Machine for the Cabin, I thought of a little Bota, and was told EPA regs weren't needed below 25hp Diesel, I wounder why the KOOP couldn't just stay in place?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
There are EPA and CARB regulations for <25hp engines, just less stringent than regs for >25hp engines, where you run into "TIER IV" diesel standards that require EFI, rather than mechanical FI. (And soot burners, DEF, etc.)

Even your simple 1-cyl gas engines have EPA and CARB requirements, tho they are met using EM (engine modifications), PAIR (pulsed air), TWC (three-way catalyst), and/or a vapor canister.

And most important, you have to have the EPA (and CARB for us Californians) label on the engine.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #448  
A 2006 Bob Cat 323 with 600 hours available locally for $22500+HST. So only 2x's+ what I have invested.

For basically a Shovel. Personal, at the Cabin. Sure I realize that there is Resale Values also, but $13K in my account is comfortable too.
I fully understand people hating CE machines if they cant work on their equipment , but rebuilding a clapped-out name brand is even worse. I've done it.
Don't be fooled by thinking name brands aren't sourcing their parts from China.A lot of name brand " small " equipment is completely made and assembled in china. Yes they have all the bells and whistles , but i enjoy the challenge .
I'd rather install some small needed pieces than disassemble an old dipper arm, ream out the sleeves, pay the cost for new oem ones, purchase oem pins, then reassemble the whole mess. As to resale most of us will never sell. We will let our kids deal with that problem when the time comes.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #449  
I fully understand people hating CE machines if they cant work on their equipment , but rebuilding a clapped-out name brand is even worse. I've done it.
Do you really believe that "that's" the only two choices??

Personally, I wouldn't choose either one of those two choices.

SR

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #450  
Do you really believe that "that's" the only two choices??

Personally, I wouldn't choose either one of those two choices.

SR
Life is full of "Choices" but most time, way more "Choices" than Bank Accounts.

I remember Twisting Wrenches at a Ford Newholland Farm Store back in the 80's. A Local Contractor came in and purchased a 5610 MFWD, Cab. I was installing an Allied Loader when one of His workers stopped, I asked if he was excited to get a New Machine? He scoughed "He will get laughed right off the Job Sites, it's not Yellow" (Industrial).

The 5610 outlasted that worker's career there, and the Contractor's life, moved on to his Son's running and then selling the Business. I am sure it was still an Asset on the Books.

The basic Bones are there on these CE Hoes, would they get Laughed off a Job Site? Definitely, Will they respond better than the Wife being handed a Shovel and saying "Lets dig that Basement you wanted" LOL

Yes My BiL and I dug a Basement by hand for my Sister. Then when the last shovel of dirt was done, we shoveled the Cement into forms 2, 8' forms/night