Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #451  
There are EPA and CARB regulations for <25hp engines, just less stringent than regs for >25hp engines, where you run into "TIER IV" diesel standards that require EFI, rather than mechanical FI. (And soot burners, DEF, etc.)

Even your simple 1-cyl gas engines have EPA and CARB requirements, tho they are met using EM (engine modifications), PAIR (pulsed air), TWC (three-way catalyst), and/or a vapor canister.

And most important, you have to have the EPA (and CARB for us Californians) label on the engine.
I often wonder, "Who runs EPA" I mean Emission Cheating 50mpg Volkswagens, being Fined, repurchased, and replaced 25-30mpg Gassers. While those repurchased 50mph Oil Burners are running around still, just not here.

GM and Stellanis, just now being Fined for not meeting 2016 CAFE Standards. B&S Engines passing because of a Charcoal Gas Cap EVAP System that doesn't work. Even Above Ground Septic Systems because of Ground Water Contamination?

We had a Flooding situation here last year 100's of thousands Sand Bags were deployed. Those Sand Bags weree to be retrieved because they were now considered Contaminated?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #452  
My pockets are about as deep as the ornamental pocket on my wife's fancy jeans. Just big enough for one sleeve of Pennies.............

My next door neighbor is about to turn 97.He remembers everyone on the road got together for barn raising, hog butchering, plowing ,etc.
The farm across from me was sold and now has 40 homes on it. The new paved road ends at my property line. I know some of these new folks, and wouldn't trust them with any tool more sophisticated than a screwdriver.
Quite a few gleefully waved as I came home with my New Mini X on the trailer. They could care less it's from china. I'll be digging for them for a fee in less than two weeks along with success on my own projects.
I'll never be ashamed of any of my "Chinese Junk Tools" as some appear to see them here. Besides I was under the impression this thread was "ABOUT" importing and modifying Chinese mini excavators.
Lots and lots of choices here , everyones entitled to their own opinion . I think i'll try to stay on topic from now on .

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #453  
Hose wrap installed. For anyone who needs an estimate, I used a total of 50 feet.
hoses.jpg

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #454  
Put exhaust wrap on the Briggs muffler. Only deceased the temp by 25 degrees. I'm gonna put the cage bake on for safety.Double safety wired it on. Also made an extension for exhaust pipe to get it out side the machine.
muff.jpg

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #455  
This will of course make your muffler have a shorter life.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #456  
How does that hose wrap work?
It is just slit open down the length and snap over the rubber hoses?
Some of my "Chinese junk tools" are made better than my American junk tools.

Have you done any digging yet?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #457  
This is what you find when you disassemble the Briggs gas cap. The round canister is full of charcoal. Unfortunately " all the charcoal fell out and I couldn't figure out how to put back all the other bits back either ". I "mistakenly " drilled some more holes in the canister to let some of the smell out.
gas parts.jpg

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #458  
Ive had motorcycle headers burn out before their time .So duly noted, but your kind of turning it in a poor mans cat converter.

The wrap is cut in a spiral.You just wind it on the hose clockwise. It is cheap insurance against uv break down of the hoses. Measure your hose and add about 18" to length of wrap for your long hoses.

Yes done some digging but house gets so hot am waiting on fans and radiator before it will be ready for prime time. Digs better than I hoped.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #459  
I just tossed the Charcol Cup out, and snapped it back together. Left the Red Nipple and cloth screen in place

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #460  
My cap had a 1/16" hole in the cup and not even compressed air would go through the cap. I did save the parts though just incase.

Last edited: