Inexpensive Laser Level

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
I live on the side of a mountain near the bottom. Other than the house area, there is no flat ground. Seems like much of what I do is leveling land to make a garden plot, kids play area, parking lot for implements, etc. I can "eye ball" a level area, that turns out to be not so level at all. šŸ˜•

I have some larger projects coming up, mainly prepping a site to build a shop. I need to level off a large area. I also have some other, smaller projects I have planed in the future that will require some land leveling. I looked up on Amazon, and saw prices running from several thousands to a few hundred. I dont think I need the accuracy of a surveyor, but accurate enough to get the job done proper. Not looking to break the bank, but also don't want to regret a cheap piece of junk.

Do you recommend something? Have you used it?
What are your thoughts?

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #3  
About 15 years ago I bought a Spectra LL200 laser level. At the time I thought it was overkill for my needs. But it is so easy to use and so accurate I have never regretted it. A similar current version is this.

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #4  
SO - Avenger, you going to level Mt Spokane. Ha, ha. Neighbor - just south of me. Had a friend bring over his laser level to level a large pad for a pole shed - hay storage. Thinking back, I think it was a Spectra of some type. It seemed easy enough for them to use.

Resulted in quite a bit more "digging". What was thought to be level - was not. The pad raised up as it went back into the hill. Ended up being flat and level as a pool table.

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #5  
Clear plastic tubing and some water. Very accurate and dirt cheap.
Yep. Many years ago I bought 100' of 1/4" ID clear tubing. I siphon fill it with water that has food coloring in it to make it easier to see. When not in use, I empty the tubing and keep it rolled up on an extension cord keeper. I used it just last summer to level a garage addition pad and foundation walls. Got it to within 1/8" all the way around.

Works great, cheap, no batteries required.

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #6  
Agree with the water level along with a roll of builders string and some grade stakes...

One thing about living in/on mountains and creating flat spots...depending on the underlying soil type they can turn into big mud puddles...always good to give open flat spaces a little pitch to the downhill side IMO...!

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #7  
I have one of the inexpensive rotary laser levels which I use for much the same purpose as you are proposing Avenger.

Iirc, I think I paid less than $300 in 2018 for a package including level, tripod, grade rod and receiver. Manufacturer is iglobalbuy and I found it on Amazon

I havenā€™t used it for distances over about 150-200ā€™-at that distance it appears to work more than adequately.

Iā€™m contemplating fabricating an adaptor for my back blade to allow me to mount the receiver and then ā€˜grade to level without getting out of my cab.

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #8  
I am a land surveyor, mostly retired, but I mostly used optical levels. The problem I had with cheap optical levels was they didnā€™t stay in adjustment, I suspect laser levels are the same. Google and learn how to do a ā€œtwo peg testā€. Also even with good equipment you should limit the length of your shots to about 300 feet. This means if you were doing a building you could do 600 feet long if you set the level up in the middle.

The biggest reason you canā€™t see what level is with your eyes is that there is often no level surface around, for example there is a hill side in the background of what you are looking at.

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #9  
I bought a $26 level and tripod from HF that worked for my barn foundation but it was a pain to use. Every time i turned it I had to re-level the tripod. My SIL came by one afternoon with an expensive DeWalt unit they used at his portable building job and it verified my accuracy.

The DeWalt was set up and done checking in 15 minutes. The same setup and testing would take me an hour with the HF unit. The problem was as I was working the site I had to do that hour setup over and over until I had it where I needed it.

If I had it to do over I would have bought a self leveling unit. I think HF sells one of those for around $60.

/ Inexpensive Laser Level #10  
Clear plastic tubing and some water. Very accurate and dirt cheap.
Iā€™ve used this method to level a wracked structure and a patio, but with windshield washing fluid instead (easier to read at a distance). After finishing I simply emptied the tube back into the plastic jugs.