Inherited a New Hobby

/ Inherited a New Hobby #21  
I find reloading to be relaxing because you have to pay attention. Meaning you quit worrying about everything else. When I used to shoot pistols a bunch, a buddy and I bought a Dillon 650 progressive press. We'd load in batches of about 500- 1000 rounds at a time for the various calibers. I have a single stage for rifles and only load a few boxes worth at a time.

Now it seems like time is becoming even more scarce and I'm lucky if I can find time to reload at all.

/ Inherited a New Hobby #22  
   / Inherited a New Hobby
I find reloading to be relaxing because you have to pay attention. Meaning you quit worrying about everything else.

Never heard it put that way but you are 100% correct. Focus on something can really provide relaxation and stress relief. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Inherited a New Hobby #24  
It would be hard to justify buying a shotgun press unless you shoot a lot. The savings just isn't enough. Now if you are doing it as a hobby that is a whole different thing. I'm sure your Grandpa's press has sentimental value, but it is probably better spent hanging on a wall. If you shoot very much rifle or pistol shells it is definitely worth buying a press. I have the equipment to cast bullets, but IMO it isn't worthwhile. I can buy bullets for less than $50 for 500 count. It takes a lot of work to cast 500 bullets. I prefer to shoot the copper plated bullets. Not copper jacked but just plated. They perform way better than lead and only cost marginally more.

/ Inherited a New Hobby
It would be hard to justify buying a shotgun press unless you shoot a lot. The savings just isn't enough. Now if you are doing it as a hobby that is a whole different thing. I'm sure your Grandpa's press has sentimental value, but it is probably better spent hanging on a wall. If you shoot very much rifle or pistol shells it is definitely worth buying a press. I have the equipment to cast bullets, but IMO it isn't worthwhile. I can buy bullets for less than $50 for 500 count. It takes a lot of work to cast 500 bullets. I prefer to shoot the copper plated bullets. Not copper jacked but just plated. They perform way better than lead and only cost marginally more.

I hear you loud and clear, if I had to buy tools to get started the return on my investment would never happen unless I took up shooting on a more regular basis. From what I have read so far, someone going in all gungho could spend several hundred dollars before loading the first shell or cartridge. That I cannot afford to do.

Grandpa purchased his shot shell reloader because he shot competitive Trap. Dad said he went shooting, for practice, at least one day a week and I'm lucky to get a day every other month. Not sure how often he was in competition but I sure remember as a kid hearing and seeing the double barrel guns he used regularly. Might be why trying a few of my own loads is so intriguing. Worst case my loading equipment is slow and antiquated but the cost to get in sure makes at least a short run at it look interesting and I don't have a lot of investment to lose other than the time. Yes you're right, infrequent shooters are better off leaving the loading to the experts and focus on emptying them instead. :D The stress relief and relaxation mentioned earlier is priceless to me as our daily lives become seemingly more and more hectic. Having a good reason to focus "off-line" sounds like a no-brainer to me.

/ Inherited a New Hobby #26  
Don't give us guys going all gungho a hard time. 😀 I bought two Hornady Pro-jector presses so I wouldn't have to change one over from large pistol primers to small pistol primers. I have two RCBS powder droppers so I don't have to change one over from pistol or rifle charge. If you haven't experienced that the rifle dropper won't drop less than a certain amount of powder ( about 10 grains) which is way too much for some calibers. I bought a shotgun press for 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 28 gauge, and .410 so I wouldn't have to change one over. Then I bought a Spolar shotgun press at a gun show for $500. I couldn't resist a deal like that. Then there are guys that have multiple tractors so they don't have to change implements as often.

/ Inherited a New Hobby #27  
I have a Dillon RL550, and while I don't have two of them, I know several people that do, because they don't want to change the priming system from small to large. It can take 10 minutes or so to do that. Also I have complete toolheads for each caliber I reload so i don't have to mess with changing any die changes, and there is a separate powder measure for each caliber also. With separate toolheads if the caliber change requires the same primer size and same shellplate, then caliber changes take about 5 seconds. If needing a separate shellplate, then add about 5 minutes. Then if needing all 3 then add 10 more minutes... It is all a matter of time and money. Dillon says you can reload 550 rounds per hour on the RL550. Maybe. But I can do 300 an hour easy enough.

/ Inherited a New Hobby #29  
I have used both and a Hornady Pro-jector is a better press. I have never loaded for a solid hour, you have to refill the primer tube, box up the loaded rounds, and get more bullets and and cases, but I don't think 550 would be unreal if you had a second person doing all of that.

/ Inherited a New Hobby #30  
Here is a setup I would recommend to anyone. A RCBS rock chucker press. This is the Cadillac of single stage reloading presses. I bought this bad boy at a gun show for $45. A Redding powder dropper. A powder scale, this is a cheap little scale from Frankford arsenal. I have checked it multiple times against my other scales that cost 5 times as much. To my disbelief it is accurate. You are going to need dies for every caliber for you plan on loading. You are going to need a manual. I have dozens and these were the first two I grabbed. Obviously you are going to need primers, powder cases, and powder. image-934725308.jpg

Last edited: