Inherited a New Hobby

/ Inherited a New Hobby #41  
I looked up some sites earlier today to see if I found anything on Marlin reloading tools. I actually looked on the sites James has linked to as well so those are good resources. I'm pretty sure you have a reloading tool with a built in bullet mold. That tool would be able to perform all the necessary functions of loading a cartridge. The pass through holes are likely used to resize the brass case and then prime the case. The hole that is parallel with one of the handles would be how you seat the bullet which is the final operation. That Marlin design is unique for that operation as the pictures you will see on those websites have an tube that runs perpendicular to the handle so it sort of sticks out. The Marlin tool seems like it would be more compact. The little scraping tool looks too small to be for the case mouth but it might be used to clean out the primer pocket. I don't see anything specifically for de-priming but a nail would work for that. This tool will be for one specific cartridge so you would need to figure out what it is. Assuming it is .38 like you thought, my guess will be .38 S&W or maybe .38-40. .32 cal was also very popular in that era so .32 S&W or .32-20 would be the most common types to look at.

All in one tools like this are slow and cumbersome to operate. You don't have nearly the leverage you have when using an actual press.

James hit it on the head. Don't put any finish on it until you know if you have something of value or not. Old firearm related stuff is always more valuable unrestored. One of those web sites specifically mentioned that they were looking for old Marlin tools and information so you should contact them. Maybe you can help them as much as they will help you.

Good luck.
John

/ Inherited a New Hobby
Thank you for the advice, I won't be plating it now but will make sure it doesn't get any more rust on it. :D

Grandpa had a 45 ACP so I have a friend who can loan me a cartridge to see if this is for a 45 since I don't have that caliber yet. A 38 special seems to be too small for the tool although that's what I thought it was for.

/ Inherited a New Hobby
Well, it's not for a 45...

Found "W. 38" stamped on it near that 45 degree radius. The casting cavity measures 0.39" on the largest section.

Contacting the antique collectors site today.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Inherited a New Hobby #44  
Well, it's not for a 45...

Found "W. 38" stamped on it near that 45 degree radius. The casting cavity measures 0.39" on the largest section.

Contacting the antique collectors site today.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

Maybe a Winchester 38-40 Which uses a .400 bullet?

/ Inherited a New Hobby #45  
Cast Boolits is THE place to learn about casting. Lots of helpful folks there who also reload and know a lot about old presses and moulds. It's where I spend a lot of my "net" time now. I am a long-time member of TBN but don't contribute here like I used to. I still love tractoring, but reloading and casting is enjoyable and there is always something new to learn or try.

/ Inherited a New Hobby
Maybe a Winchester 38-40 Which uses a .400 bullet?

James,

You are correct and I thank you for the referred web sites as well. Below is a response from the Antique Reloaders Group.

Jeff

Jeff:

That is a Marlin Model 1881 combination tool; one of the earliest - if not the earliest - all-in-one cartridge reloading tools. If you have access to the "TOOLS" section on this website, look it up and you will find a tabulation of serial numbers for these. Your #2578 is not listed (and should be added), but falls in the range assigned to the .38 Winchester (.38-40), which matches the caliber stamped on your tool.

The tool was designed and patented by John M. Browning, who made a few of them, and then assigned the patent to Marlin:

It can be used for reloading, though the decapping pin (Fig. 4 in the patent illustration) seems - as usual - to be missing. (it does have the pin and "scoop" for the older Berdan primers). But with that mass of metal to heat and keep hot, I wouldn't want to try casting with it without a stout pair of welding gloves!

You have a nice - and relatively scarce and desirable - early reloading tool there; it'd be well worth looking for a .38-40 Marlin rifle to go with it. Mine is in .45-70, and goes with a battered but sound Marlin-Ballard No. 5 "Pacific" in that caliber.

Congratulations on your find.

Doug

/ Inherited a New Hobby #47  
James,

You are correct and I thank you for the referred web sites as well. Below is a response from the Antique Reloaders Group.

Jeff

Jeff:

That is a Marlin Model 1881 combination tool; one of the earliest - if not the earliest - all-in-one cartridge reloading tools. If you have access to the "TOOLS" section on this website, look it up and you will find a tabulation of serial numbers for these. Your #2578 is not listed (and should be added), but falls in the range assigned to the .38 Winchester (.38-40), which matches the caliber stamped on your tool.

The tool was designed and patented by John M. Browning, who made a few of them, and then assigned the patent to Marlin:

It can be used for reloading, though the decapping pin (Fig. 4 in the patent illustration) seems - as usual - to be missing. (it does have the pin and "scoop" for the older Berdan primers). But with that mass of metal to heat and keep hot, I wouldn't want to try casting with it without a stout pair of welding gloves!

You have a nice - and relatively scarce and desirable - early reloading tool there; it'd be well worth looking for a .38-40 Marlin rifle to go with it. Mine is in .45-70, and goes with a battered but sound Marlin-Ballard No. 5 "Pacific" in that caliber.

Congratulations on your find.

Doug

I wondered about that "scoop" and thought it might be for Berdan primers. Interestingly enough, the Berdan system was invented by an American but is used primarily int Europe, and the Boxer system was invented by a Brit, and is used over here:). Is there any indication what that combination tool is worth. i guess like all antiques it is worth what someone would pay, but if it was mine, I might try to sell it and buy a modern reloading machine.:)

/ Inherited a New Hobby
I wondered about that "scoop" and thought it might be for Berdan primers. Interestingly enough, the Berdan system was invented by an American but is used primarily int Europe, and the Boxer system was invented by a Brit, and is used over here:). Is there any indication what that combination tool is worth. i guess like all antiques it is worth what someone would pay, but if it was mine, I might try to sell it and buy a modern reloading machine.:)

Good point, working on the value portion next. Since grandpa didn't have any 38-40's in his collection this tool may have no real sentimental value now. If the collector value is of any significance it may find a new home. :D

/ Inherited a New Hobby #49  
Good point, working on the value portion next. Since grandpa didn't have any 38-40's in his collection this tool may have no real sentimental value now. If the collector value is of any significance it may find a new home. :D

A dillon RL 550B is a real nice machine. click here for a thread about mine:) Who knows maybe it would go a long way towards something like this.