Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills

/ Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills #1  

Leedon

Tractor
Bad Boy 1025h
Been a lawn service/landscape business for 6 years, in the trade professionally for 15, summer work most of my life. Tried the employee route and well if my stubbornness for 3 years can’t make it work I give up on that. Drastically reduced client base and back solo.

This has me leaning toward new direction with less manual labor involved.

For past few years my mentor moved into dirt work and kinda planted the seed. I also need it for some property improvements at my home. Which should help gain some experience. I’m big on knowing what I’m doing when I’m selling a service.

So made the leap and bought a 25 hp scut loader backhoe with 3rd function, grapple, box blade, land plane, rotary cutter and tiller. All 4’ except land plane 5’

So far I have considered small tiller jobs and driveway work with small land clearing and bush hogging.

Do not have dump truck or trailer currently. Will most likely consolidate my 250 and 350 to newer 550 dump.

What are the best jobs to begin to take on as a novice?

Pretty sure my insurance will cover these activities but will verify.

/ Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills #2  
Do not have dump truck or trailer currently. Will most likely consolidate my 250 and 350 to newer 550 dump.
If you get a 550, will the SCUT loader reach over the sides to dump material?

/ Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills
Very valid point. Thanks for that. I was really liking the bewise ultimate dump pricey but sweet.

/ Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills #4  
Tilling is a no brainer but not really a big money maker, since the people wanting you to till won't want to pay you much for something that is hard on a tractor. But, it gets you in front of a client and you could perhaps do more work for them.

Putting in yards would be a good logical choice for someone who already has a lawn service. It requires some skill with a box blade but can be learned. Bush hogging is a good all summer activity you can have repeat customers with. I think you will want to get you feet wet with the small SCUT and if you can get work and stay busy upgrade your equipment to maximize your efficiency and charge a better rate and do more per hour.

I think you will want to get to at least a 35 - 45hp tractor and do at least a 6' or 7' cutter. That is a longer range goal. It is just honestly hard to get a lot of work/land covered with a 4' anything.

/ Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills #5  
My L3800 can load my 750 with short sides. A 5500 truck with 19.5 tires will be quite a bit shorter.

Attachments

• IMG_2882.JPG
    IMG_2882.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 55
I have the ability to use it for shrub removal etc if justified in current landscape side of things.

I do turf work to a degree as well. Typically not new construction needing grade work though.

I been mowing grass for 25 years so not really sure fields are the route I want to take.

I was thinking minimum charge on the till to cover transport time. Bite or don’t is my stance on that.

Driveway work materials delivery and transportation time all factor in so that’s where I need some experience. All ready drummed up some practice time on a couple friends driveways.

That’s the thing that has me perplexed is there are a lot of directions to go.

My L3800 can load my 750 with short sides. A 5500 truck with 19.5 tires will be quite a bit shorter.

Found the quote button… that was my thought but I suppose a tape measure would settle that.

/ Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills #8  
I run a business with my tractor. I personally believe a SCUT is just too small to be practical. It's just not enough for most field work. I use a Mahindra 1626 shuttle. It's good 99%of the time.

/ Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills #9  
If you want to make money buy a hotdog cart and leave your tractor at home.

/ Input and advice for adding tractor work to my skills #10  
There's some words of encouragement. :cautious:

Good luck in your venture. ;)