Instant Pond

/ Instant Pond #361  
Brandi - Are your ponds spring fed or are they dependent on rainfall ?

Any chance that drought conditions will turn them into giant mud holes? Texas has been having drought conditions seems like every year.

PAGUY

/ Instant Pond
Brandi - Are your ponds spring fed or are they dependent on rainfall ?

Any chance that drought conditions will turn them into giant mud holes? Texas has been having drought conditions seems like every year.

PAGUY
We have here what I call wet weather springs. They dry up when dry and seep when the ground is wet. But mainly it is rain that fills the ponds. They could go dry, but not yet. I get enough seepage during the last dry snap to run the waterpump about 20-25 minutes a day. I'm not worried about it going dry, I just wanted to catch all the water going behind the dam. It would flow more often, while the pond needed more water.

Most folks don't understand Texas droughts. Just before and after them..............we get flooded. At least here, in the Southwest corner of the Piney Woods of Texas
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond
I haven't been able to do any work on the pond since the Dec. 3rd "flood". Between my daughter and Grand daughter being here for 6 days over the holidays and it raining and me getting sick, just around 6 hours was spent on the pond in 6 weeks.

I did get the culvert in so I can truck spoils out from the side of the pond near the fence. 1-8-17 PVC Pipe Culvert Roadway.jpg But the area is so wet, I couldn't pack it down with the Mahindra. My front tires kept sinking. So I packed it down with the CAT, until the sun comes out long enough to dry it out. It floats under your foot when walking. So no way to drive the dumptruck over it for a while.

I even tried just digging and dumping behind the CAT. 1-8-17 Pond Remodel On Hold For Dry Weather.jpg I was gonna just haul the dirt out with the Mahindra. But even the CAT was sliding sideways at one point, so I stopped all work until sunnier weather.

This water 1-8-17 One Day Of Runoff Into Pond.jpg accumulated in just one day from drain off coming through the PVC pipe culvert. This is the reason I am moving the dam back, to capture all this water.

hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond
I am tired of it raining and it being too wet on my days off. So I quit using the dump truck and moved dirt with just the tractor's loader yesterday. Then I took the CAT down the incline that still had water running down it and dug. I piled it on the far slope and also on the end of the old dam. 1-13-17 CAT Down In The Pond.jpg1-13-17 CAT Digging Pond Basin.jpg I went in and came out 3 times (I didn't have on rubber boots to get out down in the muck) without problems. But the last time I did, instead of backing up and out..........the CAT's tracks dug in when I pushed too hard on the bucket for assistance. I had to get out (after all) in the muck and get the chains, the Mahindra, and Luke to help pull me out.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Instant Pond
Here I am moving the dirt, dug on Friday, further up the slope. I hate double handling the dirt. But this dirt will get handled 3 times. This is the dirt I dug in post #364. 1-14-17 CAT Moving Spoils Up The Slope.jpg1-14-17 Moving Spoils Twice.jpg

Two of the reasons of this pond remodel and enlargement....... this water hasn't stopped running since the Dec. 3rd flood......1-14-17 Water Still Flowing Into Pond.jpg

............and to clean silt around the island........1-14-17 Pond Island Erosion.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #366  
Brandi, that just doesn't look like a lot of fun to me. I think I'd have waited for the summer drought.:D

/ Instant Pond
Brandi, that just doesn't look like a lot of fun to me. I think I'd have waited for the summer drought.:D
Bird,
You have a point, but remember.................I love digging. I need to get to a point where I can sell the dump truck. I am not there yet. But getting closer.
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #368  
Something about playing the dirt sure is fun

Attachments

• P1000880.jpg
    P1000880.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 163
  • P1000921.jpg
    P1000921.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC03925.JPG
    DSC03925.JPG
    765.8 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC03922.JPG
    DSC03922.JPG
    792.3 KB · Views: 167
   / Instant Pond #370  
Interesting machine you have there. Does the arm pivot in the middle? I bet the pics of that area will look much whiter tomorrow. :)

PC75UU2 is a machine designed for urban work, Grey market, Pivots in middle. Pond is all done 3-1/2 years ago, about 60' across, 8 or 9 feet deep ( except in the drought we just had) Nice and green in summer, with a little waterfall in the wet seasons.