Interested in 2305 or 2520

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #1  

JDCAN

Banned
Hi Gang

I am currently in the market for my first mini tractor. I have narrowed it down to a 2305 or a 2520; the 2320 does not seem worth it next to the 2520, is this true or am I wrong in this thinking?

Now I have around 2 acres of land, I will be buying the machine to cut grass, do snowplowing/blowing in the winter. The driveway is around 150 feet long. The ground is pretty level, expect for the edges of the property. The property has steep run off hills. My question is as follows, will a 2305 handle better on steep side of the property for cutting grass than a 2520? What is the angle of the hill these machines can handle before coming to the point of possibly rolling over?

I also want to add this is a first for me and I started looking at the home depot 100 series, after reading this site for hours I have figured out the 100 series seems to be a total waste. I also looked at 500 series and by the time I add a few attachments the price is getting up you might as well step into a sub compact. I also understand 2 acres might not be allot but I would like to change some land slops, do some landscape and dig some trenches to run weeping system. All in all anyone care to add anything to my research? Is it worth the extra money for the 2520? For the job's I will be doing would the 2305 do the job just as good?

Lastly, what is the deal with Canadian John Deere dealers why are their prices so much higher than the USA dealers? I have called countless Canadian dealers and they seem unwilling to accept the selling prices in the USA offer much better value. I can also see the duty rate is 0% , so aside from an exchange rate of 13% (Canada dollars to USA dollars) why do the John Deere dealers in Canada feel charging 25% more is fair and acceptable?

Also great site and awesome information, I hope to join the club of a happy JD owner.

Thanks for all the help in advance. :)

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #2  
Hey JDCAN, welcome. I know from experience that you'll find answers to questions you hadn't even thought of here, and everyone seems to be genuinely decent folk, more than willing to help.
Your property sounds similar to mine, and some projects also. I've run a 425 for 15 years for plowing and mowing, and it was and still is more than capable. I wanted something with more capability to handle some larger landscaping projects, and I wanted a new toy too. I had figured that a 2305 with fel and bh would handle the job, but after reading alot of posts, and asking some questions, decided that buying something reasonably bigger than what I had anticipated my needs to be was smart advice. I considered this to be a one time purchase, and did alot of comparisons between engine output, compression and rpm range. Hydraulic capability, output, and adaptability. The ability to switch between implements, or run additional implements without having to unhook something, was something I had never thought of.
For instance, on my 2520 if I wanted to run a MMM, I would have to take off the bh...every week. Some of the other models are able to have both attached and use both at the same time. I kept my 425 and mmm for the lawn, and use the 2520 for everything else.
I have found the 2520 to be an excellent choice, almost too large for my needs (don't tell the wife), but I've many times been happy to have the additional size and power. I feel that a machine with more capability to perform the job at hand, will in the long run be a more economical purchase from the durability perspective. Happy shopping!

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #3  
Hi:

I have a 2305 (and a 3320) and used to mow 5-6 acres with the 2305 (Now I mow about 2 with it). I also blow snow on a 250' driveway with maybe a 10 place parking lot also.

It handles great (Better than my 3320) when mowing and although I never feel right on slopes it handles them fine. Up and down slopes is no problem and I've mowed some side slopes without feeling too tippy (I feel very tippy on the same slopes on the 3320).

You can also corner at full speed on level ground and it'll feel as stable as a lawn tractor. (I think my 3320 would land on it's side if I cut the steering all the way at full speed).

I have R4's but if your soil is very soft you might want to consider R3's. Mine are loaded and I mow with the loader (-bucket) on.

For blowing snow the 47" snowblower works great. With the quick hitch you can lift the wheels off the ground to put downforce on the blower. This is one area I'd prefer a 2320 or 2520 due to them having independent braking to skid steer when doing this.

One other note, the 2320 and 2520 are wider than the 47" snowblower and I've heard a few folks on this side complain about the rear tires on a 2520 (I think) 'riding up' the unblown snow (Since a few inches of each stick out past the blower). The 2305 and the 47" blower are almost exactly the same width and you won't have any issue with this.

My only complaint on the blower is that they don't have a standard elevation chute cable or something. No matter what I initially adjust the chute to elevation wise it always ends up being the perfect 'blow back in my face' angle within minutes. ;)

My driveway is relatively flat but I've never had traction issues with the R4's in the snow. I've even driven in the snow with the blower up but you won't have much ground clearance on the 2305 after you mount the front PTO bracket/shaft so you'll blow up a good pile of snow and stop in deep snow if your just driving around. If you are running the blower you'll go through just about anything (including a few shear pins as you run stuff over you forgot was there)...

Anyway, hope this helps.

When I look at all three I kind of like the 2320 since it isn't much more than the 2305 but has a bigger frame, more ground clearance, more loader capacity (higher psi), etc. The 2520 is so much more than a 2305 IMHO you might as well jump into a 3000 series unless a 3000 series would be too big.

Also, with regard to when sub cuts and cuts will tip, I think the ANSI spec is 15 degrees, but I would get nervous going much over 10. I have a 'tilt meter' on both tractors (From an advertiser on this site) that let's me know how much tilt I have.

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #4  
gunmaker said:
Hey JDCAN, welcome. I know from experience that you'll find answers to questions you hadn't even thought of here, and everyone seems to be genuinely decent folk, more than willing to help.
Your property sounds similar to mine, and some projects also. I've run a 425 for 15 years for plowing and mowing, and it was and still is more than capable. I wanted something with more capability to handle some larger landscaping projects, and I wanted a new toy too. I had figured that a 2305 with fel and bh would handle the job, but after reading alot of posts, and asking some questions, decided that buying something reasonably bigger than what I had anticipated my needs to be was smart advice. I considered this to be a one time purchase, and did alot of comparisons between engine output, compression and rpm range. Hydraulic capability, output, and adaptability. The ability to switch between implements, or run additional implements without having to unhook something, was something I had never thought of.
For instance, on my 2520 if I wanted to run a MMM, I would have to take off the bh...every week. Some of the other models are able to have both attached and use both at the same time. I kept my 425 and mmm for the lawn, and use the 2520 for everything else.
I have found the 2520 to be an excellent choice, almost too large for my needs (don't tell the wife), but I've many times been happy to have the additional size and power. I feel that a machine with more capability to perform the job at hand, will in the long run be a more economical purchase from the durability perspective. Happy shopping!

Good point and I will add one - Too bad Im not able to keep the 3pt arms on along with the backHoe. I cant tell you how many times I had to drop the BH, to move my 3pt attachments around ( put 3pt arms on, then remove to put BH back on) It never fails and after a while, slows you down to a crawl. Its not really the machines fault - but a "nice to have" maybe somebody other than Deere does this -dont know.
Othwerwise the 2520 is a great machine, and for the OP he has to see the machines up close and decide which one fits him best.

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #5  
JDCAN said:
Hi Gang

I am currently in the market for my first mini tractor. I have narrowed it down to a 2305 or a 2520; the 2320 does not seem worth it next to the 2520, is this true or am I wrong in this thinking?

Now I have around 2 acres of land, I will be buying the machine to cut grass, do snowplowing/blowing in the winter. The driveway is around 150 feet long. The ground is pretty level, expect for the edges of the property. The property has steep run off hills. My question is as follows, will a 2305 handle better on steep side of the property for cutting grass than a 2520? What is the angle of the hill these machines can handle before coming to the point of possibly rolling over?

I also want to add this is a first for me and I started looking at the home depot 100 series, after reading this site for hours I have figured out the 100 series seems to be a total waste. I also looked at 500 series and by the time I add a few attachments the price is getting up you might as well step into a sub compact. I also understand 2 acres might not be allot but I would like to change some land slops, do some landscape and dig some trenches to run weeping system. All in all anyone care to add anything to my research? Is it worth the extra money for the 2520? For the job's I will be doing would the 2305 do the job just as good?

Lastly, what is the deal with Canadian John Deere dealers why are their prices so much higher than the USA dealers? I have called countless Canadian dealers and they seem unwilling to accept the selling prices in the USA offer much better value. I can also see the duty rate is 0% , so aside from an exchange rate of 13% (Canada dollars to USA dollars) why do the John Deere dealers in Canada feel charging 25% more is fair and acceptable?

Also great site and awesome information, I hope to join the club of a happy JD owner.

Thanks for all the help in advance. :)

I am the proud owner of a new 2305. The 2305 is a powerful little tractor. It corners as tight as my Craftsman 42" LT. I have the tires loaded with antifreeze and water which helps considerably with the stability. I didn't buy the MMM, but it is in my future. Currently the 2305 is earning its keep with driveway building, landscaping, and pond digging. After that, I will retire it lawn mower duty with the occasional "utility" work. As for size, I have 3.5 acres of woods and with the FEL and Box Blade, it is ALMOST too big. For me and my use, this is the perfect size and capability utility tractor.:D

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #6  
JDCAN,

First, welcome to the forum! :) As you have figured out, the 2305 tractor is a hard to beat package with a lot of attitude. Its shortcomings are minor (lack of position control on the 3PH, minimal ground clearance but which also adds to its stability on slopes, and limited height clearance on the 3PH). Don't disregard the 2320 if any of the above are show stoppers for you. It delivers on all three for only a few thousand more. The disadvantage to the 2320 is the power to weight ratio. What is really good on the 2305 becomes less on the 2320. For many this is a non-issue, but for some the high-range on the 2320, which really scoots along, isn't able to do things like mow on slopes (added weight and taller tires) and to some, it is too slow (compared with the high-range on the 2305). The 2520 is a huge jump up with much faster hydraulics and a larger more stable chassis.

As for pricing, that is a regional thing. Deere has tightened up dealer margins, so discounting has been crunched some, but you probably should be more concerned with the quality of dealer than saving a few bucks upfront.

Let us know how your search goes. Oh, and I would like to see you test drive the different tractors on your property (after all, you're paying top dollar!).

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #7  
JDCAN said:

QUOTE]

The 2305 has less ground clearance which is good and bad. Lower to the ground = more stability. Also has less ability to get over obstacles (piles of dirt from using the BH). The 2520 has a slightly wider stance which would add some more stability also. As far as stability, try to drive both on your property to see which one feels better (already mentioned above). The 2520 is a lot more tractor than the 2305, and I don't want to point it out but, (don't tell anyone else) may be more than you need, unless you want it done yesterday. With patience I think the 2305 can do almost what the 2520 can do.

You are definitely right about adding implements to the smaller tractors, you are better stepping up to a subcompact or compact. If you want to switch implements quickly and easily, go with the 2305. The 2520 seemed to be more difficult to get BH on and off due to the subframe issues, but the OnRamp mower was awesome for ease of installation. Are you planning on getting a BH?

As far as cutting grass, the mower is going to be similar for both, don't think you will see any difference there.

Oh yeah, the 100 series is a waste if you want to do anything more than a marginal job at cutting grass.

Are you set on purchasing green? Just wondering?

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520
Thanks for all the quick answers. Once again very useful stuff :)

In regards to testing the different models on my property, I don't think that is an option. I am thinking of actually ordering either of the units from USA. The price difference once again works out to 20 to 30% depending on the model and attachments. I have called John Deere USA and the warranty will still be honored. I would prefer to buy from the local dealer but once again they want an extra 3 grand for a 2305. This is silly. That works out to almost 30% more.

I am interested in buying the backhoe; does the 2520 perform better than the backhoe for the 2305? I am pretty sure the depth is around 6.5 feet deep, is this accurate for both models?

Also I need a pallet attachment, does the 2520 have more lifting power than the 2305?

I seem to think the 2305 is the one but after reading all the reviews I am worried about the snow blower attachment, I don't like the idea of the crazy angle on the PTO to hook up the snow blower?

Also sorry to ask again, but why is the 2305 faster for attachment changes compared to the 2520?

In closing I am sort of partial to John Deere, so I would like to keep it on John Deere.

Thanks again and keep the great information coming.

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #9  
ducati996 said:
Good point and I will add one - Too bad Im not able to keep the 3pt arms on along with the backHoe. I cant tell you how many times I had to drop the BH, to move my 3pt attachments around ( put 3pt arms on, then remove to put BH back on) It never fails and after a while, slows you down to a crawl. Its not really the machines fault - but a "nice to have" maybe somebody other than Deere does this -dont know.

The only smaller machine I know of that you can leave the 3 point arms on is the Massey Fergusen 2310 sub compact tractor. It's a nice little machine that often gets over looked by people in the market for this type of machine. It's not on Deere's level in the comfort zone, but a durable hard working machine none-the-less.

/ Interested in 2305 or 2520 #10  
I have a 2320 that really works well for my wife and I. Having said that you need to buy what really meets your needs and budget. We needed a tractor with a fair amount of ground clearance because right now our property is really rough. I use the 2320 to get it a little bit smoother almost every night after work. Having a position control on the three point was very important for that reason.

Since you cannot bring the tractors to your place go to the dealers and drive them. Pick up a bucket of gravel to see how the tractor handles it. Find out that the little things about each tractor that you like or dislike. Try other brands to. All of the name brand tractors are good quality machines.

Listen to what everybody here says and then use that information to pick the tractor that meets your needs the best. I am new here myself and learn something everyday.

Oh and I like my L120 Before I got the real tractor I abused the dickens out of that poor thing:eek:

Best of luck and tell us what you decided.