interesting log splitter

/ interesting log splitter #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
Maybe that it has been shared before but I seen this video of a interesting concept for a log splitter . Actually appears to be some what safer than some others I have seen , but still there are some safety issue's .

Wood Splitter 1 - YouTube

Fred H.

/ interesting log splitter #2  
That's a fast unit. It looks like it's gonna get you sooner or later, however.

/ interesting log splitter #3  
wouldn't work with the stringy oak we have around here.

/ interesting log splitter #4  
Thanks for posting that. Looks like good, satisfying fun. I bet that guy has thick callouses on his hands. I wouldn't need as much firewood as that thing can put out. But I'd like to build it.:D

I was looking at the truss-arm at the top, wondering why he has the "truss structure" backwards. Tension members (straps) in compression, and the box-beam in tension. Probably because its strong enough. But it bothers the engineer.:D

465851d1461430094-interesting-log-splitter-splitter_truss-jpg

Attachments

• splitter_truss.jpg
    splitter_truss.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,682
   / interesting log splitter #5  
Maybe that it has been shared before but I seen this video of a interesting concept for a log splitter . Actually appears to be some what safer than some others I have seen , but still there are some safety issue's .

Wood Splitter 1 - YouTube

Fred H.

No thanks. Looks dangerous, besides I wouldn't want to have to lift all the heavy rounds up off the ground with my back. Even though they have to be pretty short rounds to get up under that blade. The shorts make for fast burning wood, too fast IMHO. Might be OK to fuel a wood fired cook stove but not for heat.

/ interesting log splitter #6  
Interesting concept, the pieces are pretty small for finish product. For heating it might be a little on the small side. But it's a nifty set up.

/ interesting log splitter
Yep , I 2'nd the Stringy Oak . Yep , I also 2'nd the lifting rounds . Most of My Oak and Madrone rounds are 16" long and minimum 12" - 14" diameter on up .
My vertical Harbor Freight splitter works just fine for those . Run the splitter vertical and simply roll the round under the wedge . :D

Did find it a interesting build My first thought was I wonder how much the thing weigh's ? Some pretty beefy steel in it .

Fred H.

/ interesting log splitter #8  
Looks like it gets a little sloppy at the end. Slanted bottom causes log to tip over instead of splitting.

/ interesting log splitter #9  
I like it... looks like they had the wood at the correct height (or almost) to where there was minor lifting..
If you cut wood to sell, it would probably be worth it..
Just use your FEL to bring several chunks to the level of table & go at it..

/ interesting log splitter #10  
If I'm remembering correctly, looks similar to a shake splitter. Would be a different splitter, shake splitter would have just a knife.