interesting log splitter

/ interesting log splitter #11  
My opinion is that any tool that has an uncontrolled (constantly moving) part that is unguarded is unacceptable. A hundred years ago this kind of machine was normal but today I don't think there is any excuse for manually working under a moving part. Each to his own but if I owned it would be in the scrap pile.

/ interesting log splitter #13  
Each to his own but if I owned it would be in the scrap pile.

I think it CAME from the scrap pile.
Its motion kind of reminds me of oil well jack pump. A major redeeming feature is the gap below the wedge. In theory, you can actually put your hand between the table and the wedge without getting hurt. Just never have your hand on top of a piece of wood and the risk is reduced. Still, after an hour or two of doing this, it would be too easy to get inattentive/careless.

/ interesting log splitter #14  
Not only no, but heck no!

/ interesting log splitter #15  
Cost=welding rods, belts, used chain fall, grinding rocks. The rest from junk pile that has been lying around for yrs.. Out come=loss of any limb. Conclusion= NOT FOR ME. boy howdie some ppl. "Hey Look Maw, Now Hand".

/ interesting log splitter #17  
Why was he making toothpicks. Those are tiny pieces. Burn up way to fast.

/ interesting log splitter #18  
All of these make more wood than I could burn but if I was selling firewood I'd build a processor. Slow motion but lots of splits simultaneously or sequential (tortoise vs hare), and no lifting of rounds are appealing features.

This could be made pretty easily with the carriage assembly of a large forklift.

/ interesting log splitter #19  
All of these make more wood than I could burn but if I was selling firewood I'd build a processor. Slow motion but lots of splits simultaneously or sequential (tortoise vs hare), and no lifting of rounds are appealing features.

This could be made pretty easily with the carriage assembly of a large forklift.

I don't see why you say not lifting rounds, he is clearly picking them up and dropping them in the splitter. Sure are short rounds though, what's he using the wood for, a barbeque grill?

/ interesting log splitter #20  
When I lived in Germany many had beautiful older wood fired kitchen stoves they used in winter... the fires box was quite small and the wood many used came from chippers... the chips were very large for chips but it was efficient and all you needed to do was scoop some in a pail...