interesting log splitter

/ interesting log splitter #21  
The wood hes splitting is macrocarpa, its about the same weight as sycamore, and I think its easy to underestimate the power of that splitter, it gets through a few knots that i see without even slowing at all.
NZ is pretty mild winter wise, so we dont have to deal with sub zero temps for months on end generally. Many of the older fires take pretty small wood, especially kitchen stoves, so I would say hes splitting for both.

They can be sizable trees so cutting them into narrow rings makes sense for lifting, 6 feet at DBH is common, seen some over 12.

LjMjLRU.jpg

/ interesting log splitter
Kitchen Stoves in Germany was Mentioned , Instantly I remembered growing up the first " Stove " in my parents House . Everyone called it a " Trash " burner ??

Basically it was maybe 14" wide by several feet long stove that had 2 removeable lids were you could drop in wood . A door on the front opened were you got access to another small door towards the top , that if opened , one could slide in longer wood if desired . Below that door was a square knob that the handle for the lids on top fit onto . By attaching the handle and rocking the knob back and forth , it moved the grates inside and the ashes would fall down through the stove into a metal box that slid out . Not growing up Rich by any means , We used that stove for several years before My parents bought a wood stove .
We mostly used 2x4 ends to burn in it . We would get pickup bed loads and shovel into a pile . Then stack blocks in card board boxes and carry in . Although it would not burn over night , usually have to load 3 maybe 4 times from evening to morning , It woud keep the living room , kitchen , dining room , 1st bathroom , parents bedroom and sisters bedroom , Very Comfortable .

That stove now sits out in my dads shop , were it is actually going to be replaced with the old gas stove out of the back rooms of my parents house , ( which was replaced by another , newer gas stove ) .

Dang , Funny I happen to see that video and Shared , Many people post comments and then just a couple of words in a later comment trigger memories from 50 years ago as a child . Never seen that coming when I shared It .:)

Fred H.

/ interesting log splitter #23  
Similar to the one I remember as a child...

Typically she would drop the chips in from the top and it had two "Burners"... thin longer pieces could go in from the front.

/ interesting log splitter
Like This :

stove.jpg stove 2.jpg

When We take it out of my Dad's shop and replace with the gas stove , Going to hang on to that old thing for ???? reasons . Not that it is a antique , just cause , I guess .
Fred H.