Interesting oil brand comparison

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #21  
Point I picked out of the article is Fig 9, hours on oil vs wear rate. Extending oil change interval increases engine life. Lots of data used in creating the chart. The report tops out at about 10,000 miles but my last 2 cars went 15,000 and 20,000 miles between changes (manufacturer recommendation) with no reduction in oil level between changes. My largest tractor, 170 HP, is now at 350 hours since last change and is down 1/3 of the way between full and add. Conversely when I work with my nephew’s older tractors, they use 1 to 2 quarts daily. It will be interesting to see how mine goes as it ages.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #22  
Point I picked out of the article is Fig 9, hours on oil vs wear rate. Extending oil change interval increases engine life. Lots of data used in creating the chart. The report tops out at about 10,000 miles but my last 2 cars went 15,000 and 20,000 miles between changes (manufacturer recommendation) with no reduction in oil level between changes. My largest tractor, 170 HP, is now at 350 hours since last change and is down 1/3 of the way between full and add. Conversely when I work with my nephew’s older tractors, they use 1 to 2 quarts daily. It will be interesting to see how mine goes as it ages.

I'd like to know WHICH car manufacturers recommend 15,000-20,000 MILES between oil changes. Never seen or heard of that before. Or are you talking about your Kenworth?

Some of the new Toyota cars are 16,000km with the newer 0W20 engines...typically 8,000km is recommended. 20,000miles is 32,000km.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #23  
I buy my oil online through amsoil, if you spend $100 or more it is free shipping. I get my oil, filters, diesel additive etc for all my vehicles once a year.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #24  
I'd like to know WHICH car manufacturers recommend 15,000-20,000 MILES between oil changes. Never seen or heard of that before. Or are you talking about your Kenworth?

Some of the new Toyota cars are 16,000km with the newer 0W20 engines...typically 8,000km is recommended. 20,000miles is 32,000km.

My ‘17 Range Rover diesel has a factory recommended 15,000 oil change interval. I use LE 10w-30 oil which is a semi-synthetic. Oil analysis shows everything is just fine.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #25  
My ‘17 Range Rover diesel has a factory recommended 15,000 oil change interval. I use LE 10w-30 oil which is a semi-synthetic. Oil analysis shows everything is just fine.

Actually that makes sense when you think about it. The cleaner an engine burns the less carbon etc that washes into the oil. Oil doesn't wear out as a rule. It just gets contaminated with byproducts of combustion.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #26  
Why do people keep saying that "Amsoil can be hard to find."
For 10 years I place an order on line save 25% from retail
and have it delivered to my front door in two days.

What is hard about that?

Now lets talk price
Rotella t6 at walmart is $55.69 or $13.92 a Quart
Signature amsoil 15/40 is $8.81 a quart FREE SHIPPING

So again why do people say it's exspensive and say Rotella is such a bargain?

I guess facts don't matter.

"Now lets talk price
Rotella t6 at walmart is $55.69 or $13.92 a Quart."

Say WHAT??????

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #27  
Point I picked out of the article is Fig 9, hours on oil vs wear rate. Extending oil change interval increases engine life. Lots of data used in creating the chart. The report tops out at about 10,000 miles but my last 2 cars went 15,000 and 20,000 miles between changes (manufacturer recommendation) with no reduction in oil level between changes. My largest tractor, 170 HP, is now at 350 hours since last change and is down 1/3 of the way between full and add. Conversely when I work with my nephew痴 older tractors, they use 1 to 2 quarts daily. It will be interesting to see how mine goes as it ages.

This article reaches an erroneous conclusion that you just grabbed on. That test in no way , measured iron wear rate. It only measured iron in the oil.

Iron particles are constantly in relocation due to chemical and frictional forces. Iron also erodes from the constant flow of oil fluids from not mating areas such as passageways , cylinder heads, lifter valleys.

The iron is translocated either to another area of the engine during circulation, or to the filter, or remains in the oil itself.

New oil has the highest detergency, and thus the greatest ability to loosen, relocate and carry existing iron, left behind.
So it is no surprise it shows higher levels suspended within it. It is a fallacy to write that this is a measured wear rate, as it is not.
It also most certainly does not prove that leaving oil in for an extended time prolonges engine life. That would be another erroneous conclusion.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #28  
While it is true that modern oils are greatly improved from what they used to be, some of these long intervals between changes are concerning to me. It becomes a selling point...lower cost for maintenance (short term) OK for the person who trades every three years. For those who keep their machines a long long time it could be detrimental.
The manufacturer has a vested interest in the machine wearing out and needing replacement. As long as it makes it through the warranty period, what do they care.
Our 2014 Focus keeps track with computer, puts a light on when oil needs changed...I keep track in a notebook and change every 5,000, oil is much cheaper than engine repair, especially with cam phasers in the system.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #29  
Our 2014 Focus keeps track with computer, puts a light on when oil needs changed...

Shovelmike,
Do you know how the computer determines when the oil needs changing in your '14 Focus? :confused:

I suspect it is simply by # of days or # of miles since the last oil change..... rather than with some sort of onboard oil analysis method.

BarnieTrk :2cents:

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #30  
I have no clue on how the Focus monitors oil life,
I don't know for sure how my 2015 RAM does with its nominal 10,000 mile changes,
but the oil life meter definitely changes with ambient temperatures, the amount of idling,
and trip lengths. I have seen it get close to calling for changes in 5000 (18% life left) miles as well as
indicating 46% life left at 5000 miles.
So it is much more then just miles or days.
I change it at around 5000 miles regardless, may not be necessary but it helps my peace of mind.