interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #31  
Then there is something like this that takes all the hassle out of connecting a generator....

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #32  
Then there is something like this that takes all the hassle out of connecting a generator....

If your meterbase is handy to where you plan to set your generator I guess that might be a usable setup.
For the price if you also have to pay to have it installed, it's not less then an whole house manual transfer switch.
With an interlock kit and a 100 AMP two pole breaker in my main load center and 300 volt rated #2 welding lead run through liquid tite conduit for protection I have less money tied up in my complete setup with much greater capability.

The same setup for a 30 or 50 amp 120/240 hookup would be very reasonable.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #33  
Had to use the Generlink 2 nites ago, with my Westinghouse Generator. (The same one that Daugen has.)

Interestingly, it was so cold that the renters had a number of 1500 W portable heaters on, and so the generator breaker tripped. The generator did not shut off, just the breaker tripped. So I got them to turn off a bunch of stuff and go back outside and reset the breaker switch.

All worked well, and the power outage was only maybe two or three hours, so they did not freeze to death.

When the power came back on, there is no indicator unless you go outside and look underneath the meter where the general link is. I thought that would be too complicated for them, so I called them when the power went back on, because Hydro One, the power utility, sends you a text message when they have fixed the problem, which they did.

It all worked out very well, although the renters felt that they were inconvenienced by this little operation.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #34  
.....although the renters felt that they were inconvenienced by this little operation.
Easy to fix that problem, don't hook them up next time power goes out....problem solved.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel
   / interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #36  
We too have our service entrance panel (with meter) about 350' from our home. Our service entrance panel has a built in generator disconnect that keeps our generator near that panel. Walking up and connecting and starting up the generator is one thing, but wondering when the power has been restored is difficult when we live in a remote area where we cannot easily see if any neighbors are back on. Wiring some easily noticeable lamp of some sort to attach on the panel on the service side of the main disconnect to be able to "see" when service is restored would be awesome, but would be challenging to install without pulling the meter which would also require breaking a seal. Some sort of inductive pickup to "connect" to that would be pretty cool, but I cannot find anything like that.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #37  
   / interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #38  
Someone had put in a breaker box and 30amp hookup for a camper before I bought the house. I changed out the plug and now use it for when the power goes out. I have to flip the 200amp main breaker before pluging in the generator. Two years ago I was able to pretty much run the entire house off a 8000w gen. I would turn off things like the hot water heater, well pump and sometimes the furnace, just depending on what we needed at the time. Neighbors where jealous, they could smell the bacon frying in the morning and see the lights on. Power was out for 2 and a half days. Since then, I added a battery backup system just for lights in my shop and sheds. I have a freezer in one shed and enough battery backup for 4 or 5 days to keep the freezer running. The batteries charge using grid power, I have a guardian brand transer switch wired in that cuts power from the main and the charger/inverter converts the 12v batteries to 120vac. I wired the shop and shed lights, as well as wall outlets to the run on grid power, but then battery via the transfer switch. I havent had to use the system yet, but I can test it by just flipping the main breaker that feeds the shop.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #39  
1665697119233.jpeg

1665697167712.jpeg

Attachments

• 1665697210208.jpeg
    1665697210208.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
   / interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #40  
I went the Generac route due to my ignorance about availability of the Generlink meter plug in my area . So Generac did the pony panel seen with 8 circuits of my choice and switchover with lights so I will know when power comes back on. With 10,000 watt Generac Gas Generator ( elec start) It took two electricians 8hrs to complete, included drilling thru 12 inches of basement concrete wall . So far only one power outage to try it out for real, and that was only 30 minutes :) . But still having it is like an insurance policy and peace of mind it gives to know that a Canadian Winter power outage is feasible to get thru now. 20220223_122230.jpg20220223_122256.jpg