Intermittent won't go forward or reverse

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse #1  

mattltlp

Tractor
JD 60, Toolcat 5600
Toolcat SN AOW11*

Periodically won't move forward or reverse. Sometimes just a jiggle or two of the shift lever is all it takes to make it work. Sometimes I've taken the levers off and sprayed the contacts with electrical contact cleaner. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes just giving the base that is clamped around the steering column a little jiggle will make it work. No real rhyme or reason to it. Usually happens when cold; once it works after a cold start I'm usually good while it is still warm.

The "go fast" button still works on that handle even if F/R do not. The turn signals and horn on the other handle also work. Hydraulic joystick works as well. It's just a problem with F/R. No codes thrown.

Wondering if this problem is in the shift handle / board or if it's somewhere deeper than that? Where to begin?

The problem is usually directly related to how badly I need it to work at the moment. :banghead:

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse #2  
I'd begin by looking at the various electrical connectors. It sounds like something loose, broken, or oxidized. It could be an improperly crimped wire going into the connector rather than the connector itself.

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse #3  
When you are driving does it sometimes abruptly stop moving, like if you had raised the tics arm?

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse
When you are driving does it sometimes abruptly stop moving, like if you had raised the tics arm?

Never on its own. It stops abruptly if you were to shut off the cruise control button or tap the brakes while the cruise is engaged. I've never tried lifting the arm while moving.

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse #5  
mattltlp, any update with your problem on the D Series 5600?

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse
mattltlp, any update with your problem on the D Series 5600?

Haven't used it much this week, but when I did, it worked. My last course of action was to check and reseat fuses and relays in the two fuse blocks in the cab. Not sure if that did anything or not. I'm not even sure if these relays have anything to do with my issue. Are there other relay blocks buried somewhere?

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse #7  
I have no experience with the D Series. You can see the electrical parts here: Bobcat Genuine Parts Catalog – Official Bobcat Company site

5600 D.PNG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And order the service manual here: Bobcat Utility Vehicle, Toolcat, & Tractor - Service Manual

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse #8  
i have experienced the same issue. when you stop and get out, leave it running, back in the seat, drop the arm down and put it in gear, nothing. back and forth one or two time and it works fine. but defiantly a very intermittent issue. I thought it might have to do with the seat safety switch. but no clue? hope someone comes up with an answer.
Mike

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse #9  
My Toolcat is doing it again- has anyone figured out how to fix this?

/ Intermittent won't go forward or reverse #10  
I had a similar problem a while ago with my Series A toolcat. I ultimately determined it was in the TICS system and removed the safety interlocks from the arm rest. I bound the two halves together and never experienced a problem. I reinstalled them again and my problem came back. My belief is the switch became weak and unresponsive to the magnet from the other half of the system. Purchased a new TICS switch, installed it and have not experienced the problem to date.