Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650?

/ Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #21  
The dealer said i can switch them out if i find the B2650 too small would just have to pay the fees for transport $130

If you go up in tractor weight from 1,600 pound bare tractor weight "B' to a 2,700 pound Kubota "L" tractor width will increase from ~48" to ~60" greatly increasing tractor stability.

I owned a Kubota B Series. I do not believe increasing tire/wheel size is possible. If practical, purchasing four new wheels and four new tires would be expensive. The dealer cannot bear that considerable expense.

Tractor rear wheel/tire spread is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working uneven ground. Rear axle is the tractor component on which rear wheels/tires mount. A 6" to 10" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

Larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris permitting higher ground speed with less operator perturbation

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.​

Last edited:
   / Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #22  
If you go up in tractor weight from 1,600 pound bare tractor weight to a heavier tractor width will increase from ~48" to ~60" greatly increasing tractor stability.

I owned a Kubota B Series. I do not believe increasing tire/wheel size is practical. If practical, purchasing four new wheels and four new tires would be expensive. The dealer cannot bear that considerable expense.
There are two tire size combinations available.

/ Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #23  
I am thinking about buying a 72" bush hog and rear finish mower and using the old garden mower to get around the trees and house for the trim work.

I do not know how rough the field is i'm sure it's full of holes.

If your land is fairly flat and fairly smooth you may be able to mow at 5-mph.
A 72" bush hog will mow 3 to 3-1/4 acres per hour @ 5-mph, seven hours to mow 17 acres with a break or two and fueling, cutting full mower width.

35 horsepower will power a Light Duty 72" Rotary Mower weighing ~450 pounds.

Last edited:
   / Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #24  
I am in the middle of researching a lot of the same stuff. I am looking at closer to the 4701 size as my needs are different.

Just as a point of reference. A Titan Implements 72" standard duty cutter (1200 series) has a minimum PTO HP of 40. That is a fraction above the PTO HP of the 4701.

The 60" cutter has a minimum of 25 HP and the 48" says 15 HP.

Using this one manufacturer as a guide, the biggest width for a 2650 would be 48". I think with that tall of grass, you are going to bog down a lot.

Generally, the cutter manufacturers are saying 2-12" cutting heights. The first time through tall grass could be brutal with that small of tractor. If you don't want the bigger one, I would use the advice given earlier and hire out the first cutting.

/ Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #25  
I am in the middle of researching a lot of the same stuff. I am looking at closer to the 4701 size as my needs are different.

Just as a point of reference. A Titan Implements 72" standard duty cutter (1200 series) has a minimum PTO HP of 40. That is a fraction above the PTO HP of the 4701.

Using this one manufacturer as a guide, the biggest width for a 2650 would be 48". I think with that tall of grass, you are going to bog down a lot.

Generally, the cutter manufacturers are saying 2-12" cutting heights. The first time through tall grass could be brutal with that small of tractor. If you don't want the bigger one, I would use the advice given earlier and hire out the first cutting.

Power required is partially determined by the weight of the mower.

60" rotary cutters vary in weight from 400 pounds to 1,000 pounds.

It takes more power to overcome friction and inertia associated with a heavier rotary cutter with a Class 4 driveline.

/ Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #26  
Power required is partially determined by the weight of the mower.

60" rotary cutters vary in weight from 400 pounds to 1,000 pounds.

It takes more power to overcome friction and inertia associated with a heavier rotary cutter with a Class 4 driveline.
Yes. This particular standard duty cutter is just under 600 lbs at 60". About 60 pounds less for 48". That does not include any additional weight for chains or a slip clutch.

The 48" Land pride RCR 1548 has a minimum of 20HP and weighs only 424...bit it is 12 g steel vs 11 g.

In general, weight is a rough indicator of quality. Heavier gauge steel in more places, etc. Of course, that is only part of the story. Design and welding quality can make a big difference, too.

/ Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #27  
Design and welding quality can make a big difference, too.

The original rotary cutter was trademarked as the "Bush Hog" in Georgia about 1955 - some 66 years ago. There is not much design difference within the various Rotary Cutter weight and driveline categories for COMPACT tractors, all that evolved to nearly generic designs during 66 years. Almost all Rotary Cutter components come from Asia and are assembled in USA plants.

When Batwings are considered Bush Hog still dominates the market with mower components mostly made in the USA.

In general, weight is a general indicator of quality.

YES

Last edited:
   / Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #28  

The dealer I recently retired from ALWAYS sold 60" cutters with L2501's, LX's and larger B series. Never had a complaint about the capability of the pairings. Well over 100 L2501's alone in the time I was there, the vast majority left with rotary cutters.

/ Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #29  
I own a B2650. Didn't buy a rotary cutter initially, felt that I wouldn't need it. I ended up needing to maintain some trails. I contacted my dealer (they have been excellent to work with on a few issues). They recommended a Landpride RCR1260.

I know it is a lightweight mower. But, it has mowed everything that I have gotten it over. I was able to mow a couple saplings about 2" in diameter. As some of the others have said slow will win that race. Some of what I mowed I couldn't see over the top of the weeds/brush. It handled everything that I threw at it the first day. I mowed in low and mid range. I had to slow down a few times in mid range, kept the pedal on the floor in low.

The tractor and the cutter seem to be an excellent match. The tractor is extremely stable with the mower, even with the mower lifted off the ground. I have had the tractor and mower in places that had me a little puckered when I had the tractor and tiller.

Randy

/ Is a 60" bush hog ok on a B2650? #30  

Minimum pto requirements from implement manufactures aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Case in point is you thinking a 4701 is just barley big enough for a light duty 6' cutter