Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp?

/ Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #1  

Yander

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mine - Yanmar SA425 - Wife's LLC - Massey Ferguson 1750M - JD 3010, Kubota G6200 GT. All Diesel
I just bush hogged 5 acres of pretty thick 2' grass (3mph) and was also able to do some 4' tall grass (2 mph) with 19 pto hp and a 5' Landpride cutter. It seemed to handle it fine. It was thick grass and I realize if we were talking bramble or brush, it would have been a different story.

For most of my uses though, I'm cutting weeds or tall grass. I'm thinking of getting a 7' cutter for a tractor that has 32 pto HP. Anyone running a cutter using 4.5 pto hp per foot of cutter?

/ Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #2  
I just bush hogged 5 acres of pretty thick 2' grass (3mph) and was also able to do some 4' tall grass (2 mph) with 19 pto hp and a 5' Landpride cutter. It seemed to handle it fine. It was thick grass and I realize if we were talking bramble or brush, it would have been a different story.

For most of my uses though, I'm cutting weeds or tall grass. I'm thinking of getting a 7' cutter for a tractor that has 32 pto HP. Anyone running a cutter using 4.5 pto hp per foot of cutter?
That's pushing the limits of the 32hp tractor but if the conditions are right and or you are willing to gear down and cut slow under a little taller grass you should be able to do it.

/ Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #3  
I used to cut with a 6 foot with a 21 pto hp tractor and it worked alright, then I went to a 45 pto hp with the same brush hog and it cut so much faster

Last edited:
   / Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #4  
I have a 9.5’ belt driven rotary cutter (yes has swinging blades 3 pairs) Woods C114. I use it behind my TC45DA with 39 PTO HP.

IMHO heavy thick grass cuts harder than brushy stuff.

Rhino has a 10’ batwing rotary cutter that has a minimum HP power requirement of 25 HP the TS10.

Now would I like more PTO HP yes I would love to have 50 PTO HP.

If you have a hydrostatic transmission it may work for you.

/ Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #5  
my question would be regarding safety & weight. a 7' cutter is an odd size cutter as well. what's your 3ph weight limit capacity? are you on slopes? to me a 7' cutter might wield your tractor rather than the reverse. look at the implement weight as a starter...
if you go that route, recommend loading rear tires as a starter

thee are many on this forum with compact tractors that push the limits of safety & application. to me, this is such a case.

Last edited:
   / Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #6  
my question would be regarding safety & weight. a 7' cutter is an odd size cutter as well. what's your 3ph weight limit capacity? are you on slopes? to me a 7' cutter might wield your tractor rather than the reverse. look at the implement weight as a starter...
if you go that route, recommend loading rear tires as a starter

thee are many on this forum with compact tractors that push the limits of safety & application. to me, this is such a case.
My thoughts as well.

I've never really understood the desire to put huge implements on these sub compact and compact tractors.

As wide as the tractor is often plenty good but I'm used to work in tight places where wider implements would only be nuisance.

/ Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #7  
correct, such as hitting fence posts & trees with the wide rear overhang
the tail may wag the dog in this case.

Last edited:
   / Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #8  
First question is what is the tractor?

32HP at the PTO is enough. Just have to go slower. Too many people on this site think that if you cant maintain 5mph that the cutter is too big. I'd rather cut with a bigger cutter and slower speed but at the same acre/hr rate. Bigger cutter and slower speed is a smoother ride.

Until you have used the slowest gear on your machine....you are NOT out of power or have too big of a cutter.

I use an 8' cutter with 42 pto HP and light conditions (things I mow 3x per year) I have no trouble maintaining 6-7 MPH and a good clean cut.

But back to the tractor in question....as well as a 7' hog. Are we talking a single spindle (which is long and heavy) and will require a physically larger tractor just to pickup and handle? Or are we talking a 7' offset twin....which is shorter and lighter?

32PTO HP tractors can be something as small as a deere 3000 series or kubota economy L. Which are light ~2400-2500# tractors and wont physically handle a 7' single spindle cutter. But will a 7' offset twin.

OR a 32PTO HP tractor could be as big and heavy as a deere 5 series or something that weighs 5000lbs. Literally twice the tractor with similar power. Which would easily handle the size and weight of a 7' cutter from a physical standpoint

/ Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #9  
I'm using a 7ft flail on a 6ft wide 52 hp tractor. Works good when the rpms are up. And the offset mount has advantages like 1 wheel in the uncut path and cutting close to fences without getting too close to fences.
Also using a 6ft BH on the 5ft wide SS with 50hp. Both work really good.
I did try a 7ft BH on the 5 ft SS and found it too much mower for the machine.

/ Is anyone running a 7' cutter with less than 32 pto hp? #10  
OP: are you looking for a pull type or 3ph type mower? makes big difference on tractor your size.