Is it possible to lengthen PTO/driveshaft??

/ Is it possible to lengthen PTO/driveshaft?? #1  

Garycw

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1025R w/ fel, Farm Pro 2425, ford 841 & 851
I have a older 3pt. seeder/ spreader that has a short square tube drive shaft. I have a tractor it will barely work on but I'm wanting to use on another tractor. The shaft is about 8-10" too short to go on PTO spline. Wondering if there's a simple solution to extend the length of shaft or PTO ?

/ Is it possible to lengthen PTO/driveshaft?? #2  
I guess it could be done by replacing shaft with longer one but these light duty shafts are not that expensive. can get new everything for around 100 dollars or less.

/ Is it possible to lengthen PTO/driveshaft??
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to use it on the tractor it works on. Since the spreader was light, I thought I'd put on a compact tractor.

I'll check out the extender. I looked at the spreader PTO shafts at tsc, but my sor rated doesn't have a spline. It bolts to spreader with two bolts.

/ Is it possible to lengthen PTO/driveshaft?? #6  
Square & rectangular telescoping pto shafts are easy to lengthen/shorten. I've done that task several times. One must remember to keep u-joints in time(phase) but no balancing is required.Just cut female section off with a chop saw and insert a piece of rd tubing. BTDT

On telescoping shaft I could shorten easily. However this is a solid one piece shaft. It's about 1 1/2" square tube. Splined on one end for tractor & a flat plate that bolts to spreader

/ Is it possible to lengthen PTO/driveshaft?? #8  
I had my PTO shaft extended. The welding shop WOULD NOT extend it by welding on additional shaft lengths. They put a new shaft on each end. The owner told me - too much liability when welding on add shaft length. A new PTO shaft was $264 - having it reworked was $100.

/ Is it possible to lengthen PTO/driveshaft?? #9  
On telescoping shaft I could shorten easily. However this is a solid one piece shaft. It's about 1 1/2" square tube. Splined on one end for tractor & a flat plate that bolts to spreader

On drive shafts I worked on the female inside square was only about 6"s long the rest was just plain old round tube. Plus 540 rpm isn't going to GRENADE if a competent welder does the welding.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 232
   / Is it possible to lengthen PTO/driveshaft?? #10  
Machine shop should do it. Locally we have a shop that does driveshaft work that will also work on these.

TX Jim, I have found the same. Only the last 6"'s is square.