Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good?

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
My 2310 is the first diesel engine I have ever owned or operated. So being that inexperienced I have been reading here for advice on how to care for a diesel engine. Since the tractor I had just bought sat idle for 2 years I figured it could maybe use some injector cleaner. From reading here Power Service looked like a good brand so I bought some and added it to some fuel at the proper ratio. Now my tractor will start with the decompression knob pulled out. Before adding the stuff it would not. Could the slightly higher cetane be making the difference?
Eric

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #2  
Now my tractor will start with the decompression knob pulled out. Before adding the stuff it would not. Could the slightly higher cetane be making the difference?
Works for me. I've read that diesel in Japan has higher Cetane than here, so a Cetane increase makes these Yanmars run closer to what was intended.

I hardly notice a difference in the YM186D (more modern 3-cylinder). But in the YM240 2-cylinder engine designed in the early 70's or earlier, Power Service Silver Bottle improves starting as you noticed, and substantially reduces the clanking these thumpers are famous for. And it reduces exhaust smoke when the engine is lugged down, going uphill in too tall a gear. Recommended!

There is another aspect. When diesel went to ultra low sulphur several years ago some applications, particularly VW's, soon had extreme injector pump failures due to increased wear. Sulphur wasn't a lubricant but extracting it also took away some of the oiliness of the fuel. Many people thought a fuel supplement became essential then, to protect their injector pumps. Power Service and others claim to improve this lubricity but reviews have shown there are other supplements that do this better. For me I think PS is sufficient.

In summary using PS is a good idea.

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #4  
It is a great product. So is SeaFoam.

Raising the cetane helps the older engines, but so does the increased lubricity. Your injector pump and injectors will thank you.

(and like the old ad, even though you can start the engine without the decompression on, please don't. Your starter and battery will thank you.)

All the best,

Peter

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #5  
On a 3rd party independent study by a chemistry analysis and diesel testing firm, PowerServe rated in the bottom 3 of 25 brands for effectiveness.

And as PonyTug just mentioned, SeaFoam, that ranked high in the 25 brands. I had downloaded a PDF of the report a few years ago, 2018. I'll see if I can dig it up to post here.

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #6  
On a 3rd party independent study by a chemistry analysis and diesel testing firm, PowerServe rated in the bottom 3 of 25 brands for effectiveness.

And as PonyTug just mentioned, SeaFoam, that ranked high in the 25 brands. I had downloaded a PDF of the report a few years ago, 2018. I'll see if I can dig it up to post here.

Cummins (largest manufacturer of Diesel engines) officially recommends PowerServe products.

MoKelly

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #7  

As I recall that was a comparison of lubricity. PS, and adding 2-cycle oil, didn't do as well as the better additives in reducing friction wear.

But I think it does fine as a Cetane improver. I'm not aware of anything that is substantially better in this aspect.

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #8  
Wouldn’t higher compression be easier starting than lower compression (assuming battery and starter turn equally fast). Don’t more cylinders try? I thought decompression was so starter could turn faster.

Isn’t being able to start with full compression a sign that starter and battery are good? How would fuel treatment help with full compression starts? Perhaps, injector spray pattern gets better so start is quicker before battery get weak?

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #9  
The OP asked about PS Diesel Clean.......As I read the label and have heard from other such discussions, Diesel Clean is best used to prevent fungus growth in the diesel fuel, as well as increasing the cetane level.... but not to be used at winter temps.....just plain PS is good for winter and some TBN'ers use the white bottle year 'round.
Cheer,
Mike

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #10  
Wouldn’t higher compression be easier starting than lower compression (assuming battery and starter turn equally fast). Don’t more cylinders try? I thought decompression was so starter could turn faster.

Isn’t being able to start with full compression a sign that starter and battery are good? How would fuel treatment help with full compression starts? Perhaps, injector spray pattern gets better so start is quicker before battery get weak?
I think any of the Cetane improvers improve starting by igniting more readily than straight diesel.

Similar to adding a little gasoline in a diesel Mercedes in cold weather.