Tractor Sizing Is Powerstar 75 enough to round bale

/ Is Powerstar 75 enough to round bale #21  
I just priced the Powerstar 75, $50,000, and the Workmaster 75, $46,000. That included third function, 1 more remote for a total of 3, and 4 wheel weights. Same configuration for the JD 5075E was $49,000 and the Kubota M7060 $51,000. I am going with the Workmaster 75, the cab fit me better than the other brands and it does not have to regen. The Case 75C will be right there with these. I will be trading in one of my NH tractors so I hope the NH dealer gives me a better deal on trade.

/ Is Powerstar 75 enough to round bale #22  
I round bale with a Workmaster 75. I use a jd 335 baler that makes 4x4 bales. I roll them as tight as I can and the tractor can handle it just fine. I知 in central Texas and most of the pastures are generally flat. You can always tune the tractor and bump up the horsepower. I got a quote for $1800 from econmax tuning to bump up the power to around 100hp. I do plan on getting a 4x5 baler next year so if more power is required there is always that option. Adding more weight is another story. Here is a link to a video I made on the tractor.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NouMJ3mH_3s&t=131s

/ Is Powerstar 75 enough to round bale #23  
I'm learning the advantages of a 4x5 round bale and think that size would be beneficial to me in several ways. I've also researched some 4x5 options that from Vermeer, MF Hesston and others that claim they need a minimum of 40hp at the pto. As you all have mentioned I suspect a unit with a minimum of 40hp would run much better with a 60hp pto and the weight that usually accompanies that pto hp.

It seems realistic, given a flat enough property, that a 75 hp tractor with a 60 hp PTO should handle a 4x5 baler if you research your baler requirements before purchasing.

I realize there are better option but the 75hp tractor will be stretching my budget and with the information I have I think it is capable, even if marginally capable, of round baling 4x5's with the right baler. Everything else I would use a 75 hp tractor for would be well within its capability on the properties I'm looking at.

Now the question becomes can I afford a 75 HP tractor. I really like the Case 75C or the New Holland Powerstar 75 because of the weight per horse power. What price is a good price for either of these cab and FEL models new from a dealership?

Hey Nitro, I'm a former NH dealership manager. We sold a handful of Powerstar 75 tractors; only had one customer I know of that used it to bale. It has 65 PTO hp which is the minimum recommended to pull a 4x5 silage baler per New Holland brochure. He pulled a BR7060 silage special (4x5) with it but said he wish it had more power and weight on the hills. He still has it, but also bought a JD 5100M to bale with now. NH makes what they call a Roll Belt 450 Utility (4x5, economy version) which we also sold. It only requires 40 PTO hp and would match up very well to the 75. You could probably get by with a deluxe twine or net wrap (ie. non-silage) 4x5 baler OK, too. Like the regular NH Roll Belt 450. NH was running some serious deals on Powerstar 75's a few months ago when I was still in the loop. We were selling them in the low to mid $40K range. I'm sure they have gone up now closer to $50K+ to make room in the market for the new Workmaster 55-65-75 Cab series which Repowell has. Those seem to be good tractors for the price, although they are new this year and have the smaller engine, thus lower PTO hp when compared to the Powerstar series. I see used Powerstar or T4.75 with low hours in the upper $30K range asking prices.

Summary: If doing 4x5 on hills or silage, I would recommend going to a T4.90 (73 pto hp) or T4.100 for the extra weight and power margin. If doing 4x4 or econo 4x5 baler, a Powerstar 75 or even a Workmaster 75 will be adequate, in my opinion.

/ Is Powerstar 75 enough to round bale #24  
I round bale with a Workmaster 75. I use a jd 335 baler that makes 4x4 bales. I roll them as tight as I can and the tractor can handle it just fine. I知 in central Texas and most of the pastures are generally flat. You can always tune the tractor and bump up the horsepower. I got a quote for $1800 from econmax tuning to bump up the power to around 100hp. I do plan on getting a 4x5 baler next year so if more power is required there is always that option. Adding more weight is another story. Here is a link to a video I made on the tractor.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NouMJ3mH_3s&t=131s
The EPA is cracking down on companies that tune emissionized off-road equipment. If you are considering a tune for your tractor I’d do it sooner than later.