Is sub compact big enough?

/ Is sub compact big enough? #11  
Go for the SCUT, especially if you get a decent price for it. I had used a SCUT (LS MT125 TLB) to prep the land for our new cottage, installed a full septic system, driveway, utility trenches, final grade, fence posts, etc.

was it as fast as a larger tractor? No. Did it do everything that I needed to do? Absolutely YES!
Bigger is not always better.... my neighbor has the same size property (5acres) and he purchased a JD 50hp cabbed tractor. He can barely move it around his property. Granted, he can pick up 3x the amount of material in his bucket.... but if you can't get the tractor in to where you want the material.... what are you saving? I watch him almost weekly hand shoveling out of his bucket....

I sold the SCUT and upgraded to the same HP tractor (25 hp), just a larger framed tractor (CUT). Yes, it lifts more, digs more, and carries more, but I still miss having the SCUT when working "in tight" around the house. It fit easily in a lot more spaces. I have been contemplating buying another SCUT just because of the size.

I did use a 5' mower on the SCUT without any issues, but it could definitely get bogged down in tall grass as you mentioned. I now use a 6' mower on the same 25hp (19.2 PTO hp) without issue. I never let the grass get higher than a foot though.

/ Is sub compact big enough?
Obviously a big draw for a SCUT is that it can be used around the yard and buildings more easily. (Instead of my wheelbarrow!) No one has addressed my question of soil compaction/cutting tracks. If I'm only moving mulch, will the small tires of a SCUT give me better results vs larger tires (and weight) of a compact? This is something I haven't really seen mentioned elsewhere.

Massey Ferguson GC1705 Dimensions​

Massey Ferguson GC1705 tractor photo
2013 - 2018
GC1700 Series
Sub-Compact Utility tractor
Iseki built

Dimensions
Wheelbase57.1 inches
145 cm
Length:97.6 inches
247 cm
Width:47.25 inches
120 cm
Height (ROPS):72.8 inches
184 cm
Shiping weight:1433 lbs
650 kg
Ground clearance:6.7 inches
17 cm

Two distinct Loaders were optional for the GC1705.

VIDEOS:
I'm well aware of the difference in weight as compared to a 2010. How practical is a 5,000 lb tractor for doing small jobs tho? That's kind of where I'm at right now. But I have some questions that still need an answer...

The common advice to visit lots of dealers, test drive, etc isn't helpful when inventory is almost nonexistent and you're shopping used. I'm not afraid to travel for the right deal, but not just to see how comfortable the operating station is.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #14  
Obviously a big draw for a SCUT is that it can be used around the yard and buildings more easily. (Instead of my wheelbarrow!) No one has addressed my question of soil compaction/cutting tracks. If I'm only moving mulch, will the small tires of a SCUT give me better results vs larger tires (and weight) of a compact? This is something I haven't really seen mentioned elsewhere.
This depends on the kind of soil is in your area. Tire selection can also make a difference. My ground is hard so I would not have a problem driving a large ag tractor across it.

I say fix your 2010, keep it for larger task and get a SCUT for your other smaller needs. Sounds like turf tires on a SCUT is in order.

I say fix your 2010
Somewhere on this site I've read the following (true) observation: "A good 2010 can't be broken, and a bad 2010 can't be fixed." LOL! It also leaks oil in many places, and tires are wearing out.
I'm not worried about a few tire lug marks or grass torn in places. We've got pretty heavy clay soil, but quite a few low areas. The lane around our field and to the woods is fairly soft most of the year. If a SCUT weighs only 40-50% more than my garden tractor with basically same size tires, it shouldn't have much greater impact, correct?

/ Is sub compact big enough? #16  
I doubt you will notice any difference at all.

As far as fixing the 2010, I always say if it ran once it can run again.

Oh the engine runs beautifully! Everything else not so much.

The loader is nice, but 2wd with no diff lock makes it kinda helpless at times.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #18  
I owned a Kubota BX, similar in size to the Massey you are looking at and currently own a JD 2025r. The JD I own is a size up from a CUT, but still fairly small. If the ground is really soft either tractor will leave ruts in the yard but not bad, not much worse than a riding mower. The JD is bigger and heavier but the tires are larger so it’s no worse than the Kubota.

For me personally the smaller size of the Kubota could be frustrating, mainly the small bucket size. The JD is much handier in my opinion, bigger but not to big. On the other hand if the price is good on the Massey it might be a good buy.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #19  
I'm well aware of the difference in weight of GC 1705 as compared to a 2010. How practical is a 5,000 lb tractor for doing small jobs tho?

Of the 100 or so regular T-B-N contributors perhaps three (3) will have some idea of what a fifty plus year old Deere 2010 is. As subcompact tractors are often first tractors, the community of Massey-Ferguson subcompact owners will have some idea of the capability of a twelve year old GC 1705, lets me guess six (6) contributors. Perhaps none of those combined nine (9) contributors have logged on to T-B-N today. Zero (0) will know both tractors.

If you want useful responses all need to consider the same data.

Last edited: