Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost?

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #81  
My Nappa guy says he gets the same amount of failures of agm and lead acid and the both seem to last the same . Why spend the extra money ?:drink:

Look at and price the battery cables on a new pickup with all the connections and fuse links.
When I replaced my battery in my 2015 RAM I was going to switch to a standard battery because of the cost.
Then when I realized that there was absolutely no corrosion anywhere on the connection or the cable,
the same week we had just had to replace the cable ends on the NH T6050 which had a T connection on the battery terminal
and the trouble getting that repaired and trying to find the needed cable length to put new ends on it.
No way would I want to try and replicate the factory connection on my RAM it would take a few days to find and order the pieces.
So to me the complete lack of corrosion and required maintenance to use a standard battery it was no choice spend the money.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #82  
My Nappa guy says he gets the same amount of failures of agm and lead acid and the both seem to last the same . Why spend the extra money ?:drink:

To each his own, but for me it comes down to maintenance and corrosion. I don't like dealing with battery acid, or the terminal cleaning and replacing corroded connectors required on lead acid wet cells. But if I don't do that, then I can't say that they last the same as AGMs, because without that maintenance they don't.

And it seems that about every other time I check acid or clean the battery connectors I eventually find that a drop of acid has put a hole in a favorite pair or blue jeans or scalded a good old tool.

So for me it's easy. AGM.
YMMV,
rScotty

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #83  
The AGM in my pickup did not have a vent hose and the one i installed after the first one did not have a vent nipple or hose,
the AGM in my motorcycle does not have any venting either also neither of those have had the least bit of corrosion on them, a 2014 and a2015.

Same here for my 2014 Optima I put in my tractor. It is kept on a battery tender.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #84  
Look at and price the battery cables on a new pickup with all the connections and fuse links.
When I replaced my battery in my 2015 RAM I was going to switch to a standard battery because of the cost.
Then when I realized that there was absolutely no corrosion anywhere on the connection or the cable,
the same week we had just had to replace the cable ends on the NH T6050 which had a T connection on the battery terminal
and the trouble getting that repaired and trying to find the needed cable length to put new ends on it.
No way would I want to try and replicate the factory connection on my RAM it would take a few days to find and order the pieces.
So to me the complete lack of corrosion and required maintenance to use a standard battery it was no choice spend the money.

I agree. One of my cars had a flooded battery in it and the terminal corroded from battery leakage. I cleaned it up a few times and a mechanic did once as well when it was in for a repair...... Now fast forward to when the battery died...... When I went to put an AGM in the vehicle the terminal was frozen from corrosion and it partially snapped off. As discussed above, no way I wanted to deal with a whole new cable assembly so I made a homemade clamp to what was left of the end of the cable after cleaning it thoroughly. It is that way yet today. Battery terminal corrosion is nasty, particularly in these tight engine compartments of today.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #85  
i just dont understand. i maintain 100's of batteries for a living. generator service.

not a SINGLE one has battery corrosion. that is to say none of the ones i have installed and maintain. if i get a new customer..thats a different story.

i have ALWAYS used the felt rings and the exide paste since beginning to service and install generators. the only battery terminals i have replaced are on units i did not install.

even my truck, tractor, lawnmower, kawasaki mule, dump trailer...etc. not a bit of corrosion. the paste neutralizes the acid before it causes any damage.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #86  
If a battery is loosing ground toward end of life, it would be nice to get a new one sooner rather than later. Easier done with lead accid.

I love thoe el-cheapo treated felt washers. I buy a bunch when they are on sale.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #87  
If a battery is loosing ground toward end of life, it would be nice to get a new one sooner rather than later. Easier done with lead accid.

I love thoe el-cheapo treated felt washers. I buy a bunch when they are on sale.
mi used to buy them in 100 count cans with treatment soak included. both red and green. now exide only sells them in black. not sure why. the ones in the cans were soaked in the NCP2 goop

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #88  
I appreciated the additional polarity marking afforded by the Green and Red ones.