Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n?

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #21  
I have to admit.. I managed a good chuckle out of that one too!

soundguy

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #22  
I guess I am partial to an 8n. When I was in high school, my father bought his first one and it supplemented his small grading business and put many a meal on our plates. No it wasn't powerful and it would push you through a fence when you were bushhogging(before overunning clutches became widely available) and the brakes did oil up until we replaced the seals and it had a higher gear than we needed but it did the job. We planted trees with it for 3 or 4 winters too...keeping up with its high speed first gear was a challenge. Used it to finish smoothing and spreading gravel and digging holes for trees and a lot of other things, until we got something else. Never had to do anything but put a seal in the carburetor and a starter drive. We converted it to 12 v, and for the tree planting put on remote hydraulics.

Some of the 8n's used in tree planting a long time ago when they were new had sherman transmissions on them that would slow them down and give them a lot more pulling power.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #23  
"Now I don't care what kind of tractor your partial to...that's funny!"

Funny? No. Patently idiotic? Yes. A lot of postings does not equal good advice.

The Ford 8n/Ferguson TO is just about the most universal motorized agricultural device invented in the last 80 years or so. The reaper/binder/combine only surpasses it. The 8n is the basis upon which all modern small tractors are built to one degree or another to this day.

If you had to buy one tractor today, 2010, that you could get fuel and parts for good prices AND that anyone with a nominal understanding of mechanics could work on themselves AND that could handle just about any implement sized for it AND that would generally be able to do so on equal or lesser cost to operate than it's average competitor.......it would be an 8n/TO. Seventy years old...........and they can still kick some meaningful arse.

How do I know this? Experience. I use both new and old. My little 8n can cut 5 acres with a 5' shredder for a noticeable bit less in fuel than can the little Kubota. The Kub' is FWA with a loader and independent PTO, etc. It's a comfort and convenience dream and darned handy that little Kubota. BUT, when it comes to delivering PTO power out the back for the money to run it.............the little 8n wins the day. The 8n has no loader or modern features and thus suffers when it comes to the loader, etc. That's the trade-off. The 8n can handle any implement related to it's weight and mass. The Kubota can do wonders until you hook it up to a ground engaging implement that the 8n can handle. The 8n's weight/mass/size do it well to handle any type of field work. The Kubota, on the other hand, tramples it on utility duty.

If I had a small piece of property to take care of I'd opt SERIOUSLY for a little Ford/Ferguson for 2000-3000 far more than a Kub/Kioti/etc for 10 times that.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #24  
"Now I don't care what kind of tractor your partial to...that's funny!"

Funny? No. Patently idiotic? Yes. A lot of postings does not equal good advice.

I won't apologize for your inability to find the humor in my comment.

If you think I'm idiotic for not sharing your views, that's more a reflection on your (lack of) openmindedness than my shortcoming. You are free to skip over anything containing my user name.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #25  
I like DB's.. but parts availabilty scares me.

Ditto your price range.. 8xx and 9xx db's can be had for about 2000$ here..

soundguy

I thought they merged with Case? Can parts be found though them? My neighbors brother has one and a big farmer I know, 8,000 acres, has 2 of them and they love them for a chore tractor.

Only negative I have heard is weak pto shafts.

Chris

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #26  
I admit I have a soft spot in my heart for the 8N as I farmed with one many, many years ago, but was tickled to death when we traded for a Ford 600 which we still have.

They are not as popular or expensive as they once were, but I still slow down and look when I see one for sale.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #27  
Asking for a diesel equivalent to an 8N Ford at $3000 is akin to asking for $10 bills for sale for $3. :D

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #28  
I thought they merged with Case? Can parts be found though them? My neighbors brother has one and a big farmer I know, 8,000 acres, has 2 of them and they love them for a chore tractor.

Only negative I have heard is weak pto shafts.

Chris

I bought a DB885 to fix and flip. Problem is, I liked the darn thing and have kept it. Now I like it even more.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #29  
Why does it have to be diesel? $3000 will not buy you very much tractor, especially a diesel. Good suggestions already here are MF135, but parts will not be as readilly available, nor will you get one for $3000. Have you looked at a Ford 600 or 800 gas? Very similar to 8N plus more power. You could probably pick one of these up for $3000 to $4000. Around here, a nice 8N will run you $2500. Philip.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #30  
Why does it have to be diesel? $3000 will not buy you very much tractor, especially a diesel. Good suggestions already here are MF135, but parts will not be as readilly available, nor will you get one for $3000. Have you looked at a Ford 600 or 800 gas? Very similar to 8N plus more power. You could probably pick one of these up for $3000 to $4000. Around here, a nice 8N will run you $2500. Philip.

a 601, 801, or 901 diesel should be able to be had in the 3000$ range.. at least around here it can be.

I's stick with the 801/901 as it has the better 172ci diesel.

might find an ugly 2000D ( 3cyl ) near that range as well.

soundguy