Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n?

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #31  
   / Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #32  
About 5 yrs ago I sold my Harry Ferguson (similar to 8 N) for 2500

to or te?

20 / 30?

scarce around here.. but you see them now and then..

Soundguy

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #33  
soundguy, te or to.

I understand TO stands for tractor overseas and TE stands for tractor Europe. Harry Ferguson was an American. Did he build tractors in Europe before he built them here or maybe was he based out of Europe? I need a history lesson.

I know the deal between Harry and Henry Ford, but where does the Europe/overseas come in?

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #34  
ahhhh, I answered my own question, should have googled it before asking.

Harry Ferguson was from Ireland, the Ferguson tractors were built in Europe, so therefore to compete with Ford in the USA, the TO came into the picture.

I love it, www dot, whatever we want...lol

also, I called my Ferguson "old American iron" when it actually is old European iron.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #35  
more research...Harry sent TE-20's over from England (TE, tractor England, not Europe) to compete in the Ford market while he was setting up a plant in Detroit to build the TO models in the US. That is why there are still a lot of TE tractors, but the article said they were all in the same except for the name, TE or TO, just in case anyone buys a TE, TO patrs should fit it fine.

So I guess the TO tractors are old American iron.

Another thought for the original poster of this thread. Harry Ferguson designed the TE/TO tractors to be simple and easy to work on so the farmer could keep them going without the help of a professional shop, saving the farmer money and less downtime for repairs. They are simple tractors, compares very much to the N series Fords. That might be something to think about as well. Even in todays high tech era, the older tractors are easier to work on and maintain than the newer more sofisticated tractors. I'm all about saving a dollar as long as I can get the job done.

Not sure who posted it, can't scroll back and look at this point, but the poster was praising his 8N compared to his Kubota for all round use. That was basically how I compared my TO-35 to my Yanmar. The KUTs are great tractors, but do not offer the versatility of the older simple tractors.

And to the poster saying a good tune-up would be to put a flare and a match in the gas tank. That was a funny statement, I did laugh, but I can bet you he never owned a N series Ford or a TO series Ferguson and used it long enough to really see its potential or grow to really appreciate it. But it did make me laugh...lol.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #36  
more research...Harry sent TE-20's over from England (TE, tractor England, not Europe) to compete in the Ford market while he was setting up a plant in Detroit to build the TO models in the US. That is why there are still a lot of TE tractors, but the article said they were all in the same except for the name, TE or TO, just in case anyone buys a TE, TO patrs should fit it fine.

So I guess the TO tractors are old American iron.

Another thought for the original poster of this thread. Harry Ferguson designed the TE/TO tractors to be simple and easy to work on so the farmer could keep them going without the help of a professional shop, saving the farmer money and less downtime for repairs. They are simple tractors, compares very much to the N series Fords. That might be something to think about as well. Even in todays high tech era, the older tractors are easier to work on and maintain than the newer more sofisticated tractors. I'm all about saving a dollar as long as I can get the job done.

Not sure who posted it, can't scroll back and look at this point, but the poster was praising his 8N compared to his Kubota for all round use. That was basically how I compared my TO-35 to my Yanmar. The KUTs are great tractors, but do not offer the versatility of the older simple tractors.

And to the poster saying a good tune-up would be to put a flare and a match in the gas tank. That was a funny statement, I did laugh, but I can bet you he never owned a N series Ford or a TO series Ferguson and used it long enough to really see its potential or grow to really appreciate it. But it did make me laugh...lol.

The primary difference between a Ferguson TO and TE is the electrical system. TO's typically have Delco starting, charging and ignition components while TE's use Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.
One of our customers, an Irish native, recently imported his family's TEF20 from Ireland to the US. It is equipped with a Standard (brand) Diesel engine and a Lucas starting and charging system. A very unique (at least in North America) tractor. THe 'F' designation is for 'Fuel' as opposed to 'Petrol' I have been told.

As a tractor mechanic, the primary reason I have a poor view of 60 year old tractors is the vast majority of those that I see have problems that are due to decades of hard use and/or poor maintenence and shortsighted penny-pinching. Many N series tractors that folks continue to dump $$ into would be of more use to humanity by being melted down and used for other purposes.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #38  
As a tractor mechanic, the primary reason I have a poor view of 60 year old tractors is the vast majority of those that I see have problems that are due to decades of hard use and/or poor maintenence and shortsighted penny-pinching. Many N series tractors that folks continue to dump $$ into would be of more use to humanity by being melted down and used for other purposes.

I have seen some tractors that were so beat.. that it was actually cheaper to just keep bandaiding them vs fixing them. quite literally, 'fixing the tractor' would require replacing every component on it.. save perhaps the seat or name badge.

it's a testament to old iron.. though a PITA for a collector or one who needs a worker and stumbles across these rough units.

soundguy

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #39  
the 1 I had was beat. I was just happy to get a tractor that the lift would stay up / in 1 spot. I had a guy ( that know alot about these tractors) look at it & said that the hydraulics would have to come out from the botton of the tractor & he wouldn't guarantee that it would ever stay in 1 spot. That's when I sold it

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #40  
the 1 I had was beat. I was just happy to get a tractor that the lift would stay up / in 1 spot. I had a guy ( that know alot about these tractors) look at it & said that the hydraulics would have to come out from the botton of the tractor & he wouldn't guarantee that it would ever stay in 1 spot. That's when I sold it

yep.. the 9-2-8n used a belly pump.

however.. the 8n's position control 'magic' all happened under the top cover.. not in the pump itself.. so unless you had a low pressure or relief problem. the pump shouldn't have to come out.

in fact.. the relief itself can be chaged without the pump coming out.. though it would be nice to remove the pto shaft.. but can be done without that even..

soundguy