Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread?

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread?
Spyderlk, you are correct... I had to look it up and I learn't something... thank-you! The new breakers are indeed labeled for parallel conductors! BUT you shouldn't on the old style! 20171112_151019_1510517470714_resized.jpg20171112_151026_1510517468683_resized.jpg
If you look closely, it is marked 2 conductor copper, 1 for aluminum. I would check out the code before doing it however I looked at an early version 310.10.

Last edited:
   / Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #82  
I,m sure there is a lot of interest but think it is not a wise thing.
Just too many amateurs that consider themselves to be experts and just too many code changes over the years.
Sure it works but can it kill you?

While I have wired a few houses and even went overkill I am amazed at many code changes.

New color codes have been added for different circuits, copper vs aluminum, GFI's, generator panels and appropriate switches just to name some.
Then code is not same for all areas, CANADA, USA, Europe etc etc.
Might also be some legal slants for TBN.

IMHO there would need to be a master electrician that would monitor such a forum and a daily basis and he would need to delete any bad advice or at least explain and correct that content.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread?
Just too many amateurs that consider themselves to be experts and just too many code changes over the years.

While I have wired a few houses and even went overkill I am amazed at many code changes.

New color codes have been added for different circuits, copper vs aluminum, GFI's, generator panels and appropriate switches just to name some.

IMHO there would need to be a master electrician that would monitor such a forum and a daily basis and he would need to delete any bad advice or at least explain and correct that content.

A lot of wisdom there... I am certainly not a Master Electrician, and I wouldn't have the time even if I was... perhaps it might be better left alone..

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #84  

I'm not aware of any restrictions on advice unless it's legal advice. Appear's to me you are giving legal advice or simply crusing around doing drive-bys to make people afraid to preticipate. Which is it and where did you find this pearl of wisdom?

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #85  
People need to realize that even if they are given the wrong advice it's still up to them to make sure the job is done to their jurisdiction's code. That's why you take out a permit when necessary!

If I Google "wiring codes in Alberta" I get enough information that I can do my own wiring. As previously mentioned I can go to my friends business and get all the answers I need. There's no excuse for wiring in an unsafe manner.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #86  
Anyone who conflates "house wiring" with electronics is advised to NOT solicit information regarding either from an internet tractor forum.

Common sense seems as rare as ignorance is prolific.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #88  
You joke - but Early VW had unique fuses not available everywhere. Wrapping a blown fuse with tinfoil from a Marlboro box was standard procedure to get the thing home.

I remember pennies in the old home fuse boxes.......ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #89  
I remember pennies in the old home fuse boxes.......ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
I think the penny was derated after 1982.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #90  
I think the penny was derated after 1982.

I've seen pennies in fuse panels but they were not bypassing the fuse. It was used to make a contact point on the bus bar where it had been burned and pitted from poor contact with the tip of the fuse.
As someone stated previously, tightness of electrical connections is most important.