Box Scraper Is there really a difference in box blades?

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #21  
Are the scarifiers the weak point? Can you just use them bent for awhile, and just buy new ones?

I think any weak link will depend upon the quality of the box blade, the size of tractor used, the soil conditions and operator experience.

My ROBB is moderately built (72" x 710 pounds) and used in very hard clay, very large rocky soil and has many very hard use hours on it. I broke the replaceable tip off of one of scarifiers early on and it must have been a factory defect as since then no other tips have been damaged and this ROBB has seen lots of very hard use.

I also bent one scarifier a bit sideways when I suspect the ROBB was digging deep in wet clay and got wedged to the side of the tip of a small, buried boulder. Something had to give and the shank bent somewhat- maybe 15 degrees or so. I still use it as is but do have a couple replacements I could install that I purchased as spare parts when I purchased the ROBB new. I can't imagine bending a quality shank along its length.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #22  
As others have stated weight is a big key especially if you have clay.
Hydraulic retractable is awesome
1461252056903.jpg

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #23  
Very nice Gannon box scraper, wish I had another for our other farm.:thumbsup:

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #24  
Very nice Gannon box scraper, wish I had another for our other farm.:thumbsup:

I hitched up my LP BB last week. Did some ditch work along the public road. Used the scarifiers to rip up some heavy clay so I could carry it with the FEL. Did some Grapple work removing some dead stumps and then smoothed the areas with the BB.

Had been feeling a little detached from it since I hadn't used it since last Fall. A few minutes into these tasks I felt lots better about having it sitting in the corner of the machine shed all Winter. I'll never wear mine out and I'll never sell it. Great tool, especially with hydraulic scarifiers. You and Dave make me jealous with your new shiny BBs. :)

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #25  
I hitched up my LP BB last week. Did some ditch work along the public road. Used the scarifiers to rip up some heavy clay so I could carry it with the FEL. Did some Grapple work removing some dead stumps and then smoothed the areas with the BB.

Had been feeling a little detached from it since I hadn't used it since last Fall. A few minutes into these tasks I felt lots better about having it sitting in the corner of the machine shed all Winter. I'll never wear mine out and I'll never sell it. Great tool, especially with hydraulic scarifiers. You and Dave make me jealous with your new shiny BBs. :)

At least until you think how much we paid for the shiny paint.:eek:

I had mine on my 5740 all winter and it never even left the shop, man I had big plans. My brother put the rotary cutter on last week to begin the mowing season, so it'll set for some time.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #27  
I went dealer. $200 more then king kitten and a little lighter. Being a novice I am basing a lot of my choice on weight, to indicate how sturdy it is. I realize that is not perfect, different types of metals.

I am on a sand pit. My only worry are roots in the woods. Which I realize are a concern.

Unless I am cone across something used, I am just going to fleet farm and get a KK.

I need to get one, some jerk tore my yard with a tractor.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #28  
I've got a KK 5' that I originally used on a 30hp B series Kubota. I welded all the hitch bolted joints and got along with it fine. I still use it on my little JD2210.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #29  
   / Is there really a difference in box blades? #30  
I went dealer. $200 more then king kitten and a little lighter. Being a novice I am basing a lot of my choice on weight, to indicate how sturdy it is. I realize that is not perfect, different types of metals.

I am on a sand pit. My only worry are roots in the woods. Which I realize are a concern.

Unless I am cone across something used, I am just going to fleet farm and get a KK.

I need to get one, some jerk tore my yard with a tractor.
All things being equal, that's right. While not always true, it is probably more than 85% of the time with box blades. Heavier = stronger, as well as digging/cutting better.

I'd find that jackass & make him spend a lot of tractor time fixing that damage & do some other work for good measure. Might even get some new implements just to make sure he has plenty of work to do.