Box Scraper Is there really a difference in box blades?

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #31  
The key metric is weight per unit of width.

100 pounds per foot is OK. 125 pounds per foot is better. 150++ pounds per foot is nirvana.

Pictured Bush Hog (brand) 60" Rollover Box Blade weighs 630 pounds = 126 pounds per foot.

Soil: Florida sandy-loam.

I have the Frontier BB3272 6' Box blade on order. It is their construction grade and weighs 790 lbs

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #32  
I have the Frontier BB3272 6' Box blade on order. It is their construction grade and weighs 790 lbs

Yep. One needs the weight. I have the 6' version of Jeff's and it weighs 700+ pounds. For my hard, rocky, clay soil I could really use something more like 1000 pounds. But 700+ works and just takes a bit longer time.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #33  
Weight is everything with a blade. I added ~700 lbs to my 10' box blade that was already pretty heavy to begin with and it made a huge difference.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #34  
Yep. One needs the weight. I have the 6' version of Jeff's and it weighs 700+ pounds. For my hard, rocky, clay soil I could really use something more like 1000 pounds. But 700+ works and just takes a bit longer time.
This is why I ordered my 4066R with the down force kit that gives you 450 lbs of downforce

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #35  
This is why I ordered my 4066R with the down force kit that gives you 450 lbs of downforce

As I recall the down force option eliminates too many other hydraulic options to make it reasonable. I don't think you will be able to do near as much with it as a tractor with proper ballasting and heavy implements. My 4520 has 1100 lbs of steel weights and WWF in the rear tires. The box blade pictured is 7' and 1260 lbs.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 186
   / Is there really a difference in box blades? #36  
Down force on the 3pt also means up force & corresponding loss of traction on your tires.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #37  
Down force on the 3pt also means up force & corresponding loss of traction on your tires.

It means I can drill a post hole in hard ground and can actually force my scarifiers into the ground. Having a heavy tractor does nothing for a implement like a blade or box scraper. You need the weight on the implement not the tractor axle.

Getting the down force kit kept me from getting the tilt/turn option which I don't need anyway as I have a dozer blade for my CTL

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #38  
My L3200 can barely pull my box blade full. I'm sure downpressure would reduce my traction enough so I could barely pull it empty.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #39  
As I recall the down force option eliminates too many other hydraulic options to make it reasonable. I don't think you will be able to do near as much with it as a tractor with proper ballasting and heavy implements. My 4520 has 1100 lbs of steel weights and WWF in the rear tires. The box blade pictured is 7' and 1260 lbs.

Notice the 3 pt arm hookup, normally goes along with a better quality than the single pin tab on other's, other's may disagree, my .02 cents.

Ronnie

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #40  

How much? Paying for shipping? Delivered to dealer?