Is there something wrong with me?

/ Is there something wrong with me? #23  
My property is not in the middle of nowhere - its on the far side of nowhere. The outer gate on the mile long driveway is posted. Folks that know me or have business with me come to the house and let me know they are there. Been here 34 years and only twice have folks "jackrabbited" when I came out of the house to talk to them. Otherwise, many folks open the outer gate with the big no trespassing sign and end up in my yard with the excuse - they are lost.

Only once did I encounter an individual that challenged my right to ask him to leave. I don't know/care if he was drunk, on drugs or just belligerent. The state police didn't seem to care either as they cuffed him, impounded/towed his pickup and put him in grey bar city. He actually told the officer that there was no way in h--l that he was going to leave my property. Maybe he was just an idiot.

I would think that common decency would indicate that the three come and talk to you about being on your property, etc,etc.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #24  
One problem is that many harmless but stupid people have no common decency. Then you have the small minority of people that are worthless pieces of human crap that are intending to steal from you or harm you. Like I said before, most people are good, some are harmless but stupid and uncaring, and some are evil.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #25  
I don't get too excited about people taking photos of the trees/woods/and such if it is from the public road. Now if you come back the driveway I would not care for it. If someone took the time to come up and introduce themselves and ASK if they could take photos of the trees/animals from my yard I would be fine with it if they gave me that feeling they are normal and legit.
As a kid we did not have much property so I would ask people to hunt on their land or even just hike. A lot of people were VERY nice and allowed me to but I would have NEVER just went and did it without asking permission. Even when turned down it never bothered me, always thought it was theirs and not mine so they were allowed to do what they want with it.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #26  
I've had similar instances with people taking photos on my property without asking. Last spring, a guy knocked on my door and handed me a copy of a photo he had taken around Christmas time of the snow and lights on the house and such. I just find it odd that they feel they have the right to do so. .

Having worked around some more artistic types (often in the clueless category) I am guessing he was really trying to be nice and share his work with you. If he took the time to print it, and deliver it to you I would imagine it was gesture of kindness and personally look at it as an opportunity to talk to someone that is a little different than myself and learn something new.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #27  
Having worked around some more artistic types (often in the clueless category) I am guessing he was really trying to be nice and share his work with you. If he took the time to print it, and deliver it to you I would imagine it was gesture of kindness and personally look at it as an opportunity to talk to someone that is a little different than myself and learn something new.

How interesting, You see my first thought was his next move was to ask the homeonwer for money for his picture. Kind of like a "squeegeman" Cleans you car window at a stop light and holds his hand out for money.. By the way.....the glass is "half empty":D

/ Is there something wrong with me? #28  
How interesting, You see my first thought was his next move was to ask the homeonwer for money for his picture. Kind of like a "squeegeman" Cleans you car window at a stop light and holds his hand out for money.. By the way.....the glass is "half empty":D

Funny - that did cross my mind also..... I am hoping from the above statements it was just a friendly gift and not a ploy for money.
Our backgrounds/work sounds like they maybe similar and I share a lot of the caution you suggest. I worked for a while in an area where we had a lot of artistic types and became friends with some and learned they often look at things a bit different than I did. While I didn't always agree with their lifestyle/ideas it did help me broaden my view of things sometimes.
I must say I am trying hard to see the "glass half full" now a days but often think it is just broken and should be thrown out!

/ Is there something wrong with me? #29  
I don't get too excited about people taking photos of the trees/woods/and such if it is from the public road. Now if you come back the driveway I would not care for it. If someone took the time to come up and introduce themselves and ASK if they could take photos of the trees/animals from my yard I would be fine with it if they gave me that feeling they are normal and legit.
As a kid we did not have much property so I would ask people to hunt on their land or even just hike. A lot of people were VERY nice and allowed me to but I would have NEVER just went and did it without asking permission. Even when turned down it never bothered me, always thought it was theirs and not mine so they were allowed to do what they want with it.
My friends and I did the same. The difference is that if we were to fall and break a bone or something, we did not sue the landowner. The very idea that some idiot can be on your property uninvited or not, get hurt, and then sue you is rediculous.

We don't have to post. We only ask the sheriff to list our property as no tresspassing though I never have. My neighbors preserved woodlot is but that does not stop some people. My "super Hot" fence and briars do a pretty good job for the most part.

People slow and/or stop all of the time on the county road to look at our horses. Fine by us. We only have ever had one person inquire if we wanted to purchase a photo of our property. She identified herself and where she lived (local) before she asked about buying a photo. It was actually taken from an airplane and showcased our place very well. (I have had this experiance with prior properties and the photo did not properly encompass our place) Anyway, we ended up buying an enlarged frame print of our place.

Anyway, people will come onto one's property and immediately knock on the door, etc. trying to sell something or solicit, etc. While I am wary of such things usually based on the person's look and mannerisims, I won't get to alarmed. But to just waltz onto the place an start taking photos? Some places that would get you in the crosshairs.

Yes, there are more good than bad. To bad the bad are getting more brazen, more desperate and more protected at the taxpayers expense.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #30  
Many years ago I took my young son to a neighbor of my father in law. I introduced myself and asked if I could take the boy squirrel hunting out back on his farm
We talked for awhile and he said I ain't giving permission and I ain't saying you cant. It was something about getting sued and liability. But he said good luck. Then we went out back for a squirrel hunt. It was a good day. And I appreciated his point of view.

That was probably 30 years ago or more.