Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer?

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer?
Do you want to kill everything or just weeds. Roundup will kill everything but as stated has no residual effect. If you want to kill weeds and leave the grass there are herbicides for each type of grass.

I'd like to kill everything that's climbing & clogging my new Red Brand no-climb horse field fence, which of course excludes grass, however these weeds/vines are so incredibly thick I'm not sure there's any grass in amongst it anyway. So, I think my answer is that I want to kill everything. I'm gonna try one of the glyphosate chemicals, prob the one available at Tractor Supply, Pronto's Big N' Tuf Nonselective Agricultural Herbicide (Pronto Big N' Tuf Weed & Grass Killer, 2 1/2 gal. - 4201103 | Tractor Supply Company)

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer? #12  
The flame can be directed to avoid charring the fence.
The Flame Dragon can be set at a low flame to burn the
vegetation forcing it to boil and explode.

It takes me a while sometimes but it is definetly worth it.

Did You receive my PM's Beppington?

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer? #13  
Just wondering if anyone knows if this 25-gal, 12V tank & sprayer is decent at $150?

CountyLine Deluxe Spot Sprayer, 25 gal. Capacity - 2137081 | Tractor Supply Company

I'm wanting to spray weed killer along my new 3,400' fenceline. I'd set the tank in the bed of my Kawasaki Mule & drive the fenceline while spraying.

BTW, please suggest a weed killer if you could ... I think Home Depot's RoundUp is gonna cost me an arm & a leg :eek:

I just can't believe how quickly & thoroughly dense weeds have overtaken my brand new fence :(

Can't help with the sprayer question still using an old 2 gallon pump but would like to move up at some time.

But on the herbicide I actually did some testing of my own. I only compared two products - they are chemically pretty much the same from reading the label.
Eraser versus Roundup
Both were concentrate from co-ops. The eraser was only 38.00 for 2.5 gallons
Roundup was about 4 - 6 times that when I bought it. ( roundup has dropped a little in price since they lost their patent - but still more expensive.)

What I found was pretty interesting. The roundup did actually kill brush and weeds a little quicker or so it seemed at first . ( With Roundup tHey would start turning brown within about 3 days with eraser it took almost 7 days)
However with eraser small gum tree sprouts , tallow tree sprouts, oak tree spouts would eventually die even with one application of eraser. Roundup in general would take 2 or three applications to completely kill them.

I am convinced that eraser although slower acting really does a better job of killing the real tough stuff.
Hope this helps

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer? #14  
Just wondering if anyone knows if this 25-gal, 12V tank & sprayer is decent at $150?

CountyLine Deluxe Spot Sprayer, 25 gal. Capacity - 2137081 | Tractor Supply Company

I'm wanting to spray weed killer along my new 3,400' fenceline. I'd set the tank in the bed of my Kawasaki Mule & drive the fenceline while spraying.

BTW, please suggest a weed killer if you could ... I think Home Depot's RoundUp is gonna cost me an arm & a leg :eek:

I just can't believe how quickly & thoroughly dense weeds have overtaken my brand new fence :(

I bought several 15 gal sprayers from Northern over the years and they've always perfomed well, no problems at all. I actually have three, one each for weeds, lawn, and trees. Price wise I think what you're looking at is a good deal.

If just grass is a problem than a generic 41% glyphosate w/surfactant will do the trick. If you have a farmer near buy and if its legal you might be able to buy some gly off him. They buy the generic in 250 gal batches so he might be able to sell you 5 gal real cheap.
If you have broadleaf weeds too add some 2-4D to the mix. You talk about smoking some weeds, it'll get it done. I just get some cheap Weed B Gone type broadleaf killer at Lowes and you have yourself a hot mix.

A buddy of mine bought some stuff at Lesco, a gly and preemergent mix, used it on a stone driveway and it worked great no weeds for 6 months so far. It has to soak into the soil to so you have to make sure you spray enough so it goes thru the weeds and in the ground. The gly kills the weeds and the pre keeps any weed seeds from germinating.

There is a chemical, can't recall the name, that makes the ground sterile for about a year. You have to be careful of runoff beause it moves thru the soil so it could harm nearby veg or trees if it got out of hand.

The stuff from Lesco was expensive, about 100 bucks for a gallon but it works and its safe.

I'm a farmer and a lawn guy, I hate weeds with a passion.

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer? #15  
Do you want to kill everything or just weeds. Roundup will kill everything but as stated has no residual effect. If you want to kill weeds and leave the grass there are herbicides for each type of grass. I would check out the Dow Agrosciences website. They have restricted and nonrestricted products based on what you want to kill. Remember there are federal and state restrictions on some products. In Texas you have to get a non-commercial applicators license to buy restricted products.

North America

I was kinda wondering about what you want to achieve as well. I consider "weed killer" to be a broadleaf weed killer, leaving the grass behind. Glyphosate is a herbicide that kills everything. If it's the former, look for a 2,4-d compound. If it's the latter, a generic formula is a lot cheaper than RU. When you price this stuff out, be sure to compare the % active. Some of the cheaper bottles have a lot less chemical.

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer? #16  
I would surely rather not use chemicals, but would flames/ torch not char my new fence?? :eek:

No way in **** i would do this! As dry as its been around here you would either have to have someone with that sprayer and water to put out the fires you started along the way. Or either your gonna have to stomp them out then worry all night that theey were smoldered out!

YES it will char your fence.

Also a 20lb cylinder last time i filled one was $18 not sure how long that would last but i can make enough herbicide for acres applied at the correct rate for $20.

Also Glyphosate is about as harmless a chemical as you can use. Gast-gasp from the crowd! Thats right its so safe that the Dept of Ag allows it to be.. Wait for it... used as a field prep herbicide a few days before plnating as well as .. again, wait for it, to be sprayed directly over soybeans as well as corn to be used directly for human consumption. IE roundup ready corn. This means they spray directly over the plantings as anything that is roundup ready wont be killed by the roundup (glyphosate). And yes this is a labled use of it!!

That being said i dont use more chemicals in my garden than i have to and i use labled rates to apply things. But were talking a fence here down your pasture or road, not your flower bed or sand box your kids play in. I would not even worry if you have cattle in the fence that you eat, its just not that type of chemical. Yes idealy you want to not let people or animals in the wet area but the mist is so fine and in the summer it dries in literaly minutes after application, and is usually rain proof in 4-6 hours depending on brand and even faster if you pay the big bucks for the fast rain proof roundup brand.

Just to put some weight into what i say i hold a non-commercial applicators license.
-Nate

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer? #17  
You will need to go to a farm chemical/fertilizer dealer for the GOOD stuff, and it will only cost a fraction, of what the watered down chemicals do at the big box stores, I use a generic round up, @ about 50% savings, and I also add a generic 2,4,d, Otherwise, you wont get a very good kill on the broad leaf weeds. I use a gallons to the acre formula, Iam setup to spray 15 gallons to the acre, mix in a quart of round up, and a 1/2 quart of 2.4.d, generic of course, with excelent results,.:thumbsup:.. Id buy the 25 gal sprayer, the pump is the most important part, and they have a stronger pump then the 15 gal units. , You can move rite along @ about 4 mph with your atv, if you mix @ 1 quart per 15 gal,...plus 1/2 quart of 24d all you need to do is wet the plant, and its over, repeat when new weeds get about 3 to 4 inches, usally every 6 to 8 weeks

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer? #18  
IThere is a chemical, can't recall the name, that makes the ground sterile for about a year. You have to be careful of runoff beause it moves thru the soil so it could harm nearby veg or trees if it got out of hand.

The stuff from Lesco was expensive, about 100 bucks for a gallon but it works and its safe.

I'm a farmer and a lawn guy, I hate weeds with a passion.

Velpar granuels is the trade name of one, more of a forestry one though, cant recall cemical name. Also Arsenal or Imzapar (chemical name Sp?) is a foliage killer, great on hardwoods wont kill pine and is soil active and kills for a year at least and a bit more.

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer?
The flame can be directed to avoid charring the fence.
The Flame Dragon can be set at a low flame to burn the
vegetation forcing it to boil and explode.

It takes me a while sometimes but it is definetly worth it.

Did You receive my PM's Beppington?

I did, just haven't responded yet :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for all the responses, info & ideas :thumbsup:

/ Is this 25-gal sprayer decent at $150? Suggest a weed killer? #20  
Sorry this is probably too late
I bought a concentrate "Cornerstone plus" from a local farmers supply for $56 for 2.5 gallon jug. Reading the instructions (after purchhasing) it turns out its a 50-to-one dilution for weed and blackberry killing. So the price works out to half a dollar per gallon and I have adequate for 100 plus gallons. This is adequate for about three decadess of my use even after sharing it with friendly neighbors.