Buying Advice Is this even a 445?

/ Is this even a 445? #1  

MAli

Tractor
GC1710, Ford 3400, Massey Ferguson 50C TLB, Gravely ZTX 52
Hello everyone,

I am interested in buying a Ford 445 that's for sale in my area. I wanted your input on a few different things.

The tractor doesn't have PTO or 3 point hitch. Is it even possible for these tractors to NOT have 3 pt hitch?
The tractor weighs 13,000 lbs. is that correct?
Without influencing your thoughts, how many hours would you consider to be "too many" hours for this tractor?
What are some of the things I should look at before buying it?

I am a total noob when it comes to tractors and your help is greatly appreciated. I have attached a few pictures for you to look at.

thanks,
Ali

back no 3pt.JPG20200329_144005.jpgimagejpeg_0(1).jpg

/ Is this even a 445? #3  
We used to call that a Pippin
Its a backhoe chassis without a backhoe.
It could easily weigh 13,000lbs.
Really only good for doing loader work on good traction surfaces, like loading hay in barns, scooping gravel pushing dirt on parked or stone parking lots, it is a very stable, heavy loading platform. That thing weighs as much as my 135HP 4wd farm tractor with a loader

Too many Hours? Without knowing the price, or if it’s a diesel, that is a tough question to ask. The previous owner(s) determines that. You would have to know if it had regular oil changes, filters and how it was run & stored. If it were me that tractor is probably worth 5-8k with 4K-8k hours. If it were DIRT cheap, you can pretty easily find another engine.
I do know this- in the era that tractor was built, manufacturing was still somewhat married to the idea of making machines that would last a lifetime. Unlike today where it is expected they will be traded in not unlike cars are every 5-10 years.

Obvious things to look at but not everything
Engine smoke at start up
How does it shift
Clutch
Brakes
Tires (cracks/dry rot)
Look for leaks under tractor
Pull dipstick, look for discoloration of oil
Look in radiator at fluid

/ Is this even a 445?
so pardon my ignorance and I will try my best to describe things.

I am not sure if this tractor has a clutch. It has a two-pedal brake and one pedal behind the brake pedals that you use with your heel and that's the acceleration pedal. There is a throttle lever that's behind the steering wheel on the right-hand side. There is a Forward - Neutral - Reverse level on the left-hand side and then there is a lever in the middle that's for gear selections. I did not see a clutch pedal unless its there and I missed it. I test drove it but all I had to do was put it in forward.

A little background. I purchased my dream home last year and then made a stupid decision of buying a brand new Massey Furgeson GC1710. I really like my 1710 but its too small for what I want to do. I want to clear few more acres of my land and move a really long 3 ft wide rock wall. needless to say that Massey is just not build for this kind of work and I won't even want to try. I thought about renting a dozer and a skid steer for a week but then came across this machine. I am really interested in buying it vs renting and just keeping this machine for tasks that require a lot of power such as moving rocks, moving lots of firewood around and perhaps plowing my .25 mile driveway. Is this the right machine for what I am hoping to do with it?

is it possible that this unit had a backhoe and the owner sold it? Can I add my own 3pt hitch if needed? I was hoping to use a rear blade in winter to plow my 1/4 mile driveway. My MF GC1710 can barely move 10 feet if it snows 6+ inches and I have a 5 ft blade :(.

Also there are no active leaks but the engine does have this black dirt/grime/oil on it. Is that normal or is that a red flag? The owner had me touch the machine to confirm that it was ice cold and started it for me. It started fast and compared to my GC1710, it feels like I am operating a crane.

thank you so much for putting up with my silly questions :D. This forum is awesome!!

/ Is this even a 445? #5  
so pardon my ignorance and I will try my best to describe things.

I am not sure if this tractor has a clutch. It has a two-pedal brake and one pedal behind the brake pedals that you use with your heel and that's the acceleration pedal. There is a throttle lever that's behind the steering wheel on the right-hand side. There is a Forward - Neutral - Reverse level on the left-hand side and then there is a lever in the middle that's for gear selections. I did not see a clutch pedal unless its there and I missed it. I test drove it but all I had to do was put it in forward.

A little background. I purchased my dream home last year and then made a stupid decision of buying a brand new Massey Furgeson GC1710. I really like my 1710 but its too small for what I want to do. I want to clear few more acres of my land and move a really long 3 ft wide rock wall. needless to say that Massey is just not build for this kind of work and I won't even want to try. I thought about renting a dozer and a skid steer for a week but then came across this machine. I am really interested in buying it vs renting and just keeping this machine for tasks that require a lot of power such as moving rocks, moving lots of firewood around and perhaps plowing my .25 mile driveway. Is this the right machine for what I am hoping to do with it?

is it possible that this unit had a backhoe and the owner sold it? Can I add my own 3pt hitch if needed? I was hoping to use a rear blade in winter to plow my 1/4 mile driveway. My MF GC1710 can barely move 10 feet if it snows 6+ inches and I have a 5 ft blade :(.

Also there are no active leaks but the engine does have this black dirt/grime/oil on it. Is that normal or is that a red flag? The owner had me touch the machine to confirm that it was ice cold and started it for me. It started fast and compared to my GC1710, it feels like I am operating a crane.

thank you so much for putting up with my silly questions :D. This forum is awesome!!

Take my word for it. Just buy an Old full size Case, deere or NH backhoe with 4WD for 10-12K, do all your bull work with it, then resell it when your done, or keep it if you feel the need to. You wont regret it. As long as it runs and shifts OK, you should be fine. If it drips a little, park it somewhere where it wont matter or over stone/wood chips.
That machine is OK, but you'll get so much more from a 4WD backhoe. remember, youll probably sell it for about the same as you paid for it if youre only talking 1-2 years and a couple hundred hours of use.
Easy for me to spend your hard earned money, but thats my best suggestion. Even a 2WD full size backhoe would be better.

/ Is this even a 445? #6  
Take my word for it. Just buy an Old full size Case, deere or NH backhoe with 4WD for 10-12K, do all your bull work with it, then resell it when your done, or keep it if you feel the need to. You wont regret it. As long as it runs and shifts OK, you should be fine. If it drips a little, park it somewhere where it wont matter or over stone/wood chips.
That machine is OK, but you'll get so much more from a 4WD backhoe. remember, youll probably sell it for about the same as you paid for it if youre only talking 1-2 years and a couple hundred hours of use.
Easy for me to spend your hard earned money, but thats my best suggestion. Even a 2WD full size backhoe would be better.

^^^^^^ AGREED !!!!
The loader only 445(?) is a one trick pony, and will be very hard to resell.

/ Is this even a 445? #7  
No backhoe, no 4wd, no QA on the bucket, probably no AC in the cab. It’s not something I’d want. It is tough and strong.

/ Is this even a 445? #8  
^^^^^^ AGREED !!!!
The loader only 445(?) is a one trick pony, and will be very hard to resell.

Well you did manage to sell that ford backhoe for a big price. I’d a lot rather have this to it.

/ Is this even a 445?
so I absolutely agree and would love to buy a bigger machine with a backhoe but I purchased a home last year and then spent money as if my last name was GATES. I haven't used my Massey backhoe as much as I thought I would and don't have the budget to buy a 10K-15K machine.

The gentleman selling this machine comes across as a really honest man. He recommended that I bring a mechanic to perform an inspection. The machine has 1800 hours and We agreed on $4,000. I will likely not sell this machine and just keep it around for spreading mulch on a few acres. I guess I am asking for some validation since I absolutely resent my purchase of GC1710 and wish I had taken my time to get advice from experienced individuals such as yourself. Oh well, you live and learn :).

/ Is this even a 445? #10  
It's a great loader only machine.....good luck:thumbsup: