Is this trailer a “steal”?

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #21  
I would be curious as to why there is a missing lug nut on the picture of the tire/wheel. That is a severe no-no as far as th D.O.T. is concerned! Plus it really is more of an issue with 3 axle trailers and the scrub effect when turning. Lug nuts are cheap!
David from jax

/ Is this trailer a “steal”?
I would be curious as to why there is a missing lug nut on the picture of the tire/wheel. That is a severe no-no as far as th D.O.T. is concerned! Plus it really is more of an issue with 3 axle trailers and the scrub effect when turning. Lug nuts are cheap!
David from jax

A missing lug nut is very little concern to me. A broken-off stud would be though.

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #23  
When you stop and think about it, you can't get chit for $4k anymore and you'd probably be angry with yourself if you walked away.
Then there's the massive amount of suspension there with 3 axles and once you "get into" it you discover some egged out hangers and other little things. For me once you've determined that it needs some parts there, that project can quickly grow into a complete re fresh that probably involves flipping the trailer and welding.
Tough decision but probably still a good trailer for $6k.
Bring a jack and take the weight off of the axles at a few places looking for the dreaded "egged out" spring hangars, equalizers, etc.
Air or electric brakes?

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #24  
...and it would be a good trailer to supplement your big g/n.
I can't remember, are you only making big squares? The beaver tail is a handy spot for a pair of round bales up against the ramps when moving hay.

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #25  
A missing lug nut is very little concern to me. A broken-off stud would be though.
Agreed, unless the nut got left off for a reason, such as stripped threads or damaged stud...then it might as well be broken off, as it takes as much time to fix!
David from jax

Went and looked at it yesterday. It’s pretty much the perfect configuration and load capacity for MY needs, but there were reasons to be a little skeptical.

The seller met me at the place of business where it’s parked. Nice man and we chatted a bit. He said he bought it from the previous/original owner nearby. Said he ordered a new aluminum trailer and this one needed to be sold. OK that’s fine.

Things I noticed:

1. I grabbed several of the wheels and “shook” them. One of the wheels actually clicked a bit in and out. I think the lug nuts may have been slightly loose.

2. If you notice in the pictures, the wheels do not match. The visual appeal of all the wheels matching isn’t a big deal to me, but I wondered why they don’t match? All the tires match, but the wheels don’t? The wheels are obviously much newer than the trailer. They look maybe 2-3 years old. Tires all match and look excellent-albeit chinese tires of unknown quality.

1668351502429.jpeg

3. It’ll need repainted in the next couple years. The factory paint job is pretty weak. I don’t expect perfect paint on a 10 year old trailer.

4. Battery box and wiring junction box are beat up and need replaced. I would assume battery is toast, too.

1668351608559.jpeg

5. The trailer is 97” wide (8’-1”) I like a 102” wide trailer, but not a big deal. I could add rub rails for more areas to hook on ratchet straps, but again-more money $$.

6. Seller will not include inspection in $4,000 offer. This trailer is parked at a truck/trailer inspection station. I talked to them and they are happy to do PA inspection, but that cost is all on me. Could be $100. It also could be $1,000.

Last edited:
   / Is this trailer a “steal”? #27  
To me, painting a trailer properly is a huge job. How's the wood?
I could deal with a major suspension "refresh" for mechanical reliability and safety over close to the same money for cosmetics. It's also pretty simple to make a realistic suspension estimate of cost to figure your total investment vs. value to you.
It's a lot of work (and luck) to save $5-6k vs. a new trailer. 👍
I'd oil the underside and run it after your satisfied with the running gear. Slopping on some paint on the major visual horizontal steel (deck channel, ramps and tongue) will be all that the regular customers will notice anyway.
Just stop the corrosion underneath. 👍

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #28  
Any idea why the inspection price varies? Jon

Any idea why the inspection price varies? Jon
Because we don’t know what it could need to pass inspection. Basic one time inspection that passes with no repairs is $100. If it needs brakes, suspension parts, break-away battery & box, etc. etc. it could quickly add up.

I offered $4,000 inspected. He wants $4,000 and I pay for inspection.

A comparable new version of this trailer would be $12,000+. I don’t have $12,000, so that’s why I’m considering this one.