Is this trailer a “steal”?

/ Is this trailer a “steal”?
When you stop and think about it, you can't get chit for $4k anymore and you'd probably be angry with yourself if you walked away.
Then there's the massive amount of suspension there with 3 axles and once you "get into" it you discover some egged out hangers and other little things. For me once you've determined that it needs some parts there, that project can quickly grow into a complete re fresh that probably involves flipping the trailer and welding.
Tough decision but probably still a good trailer for $6k.
Bring a jack and take the weight off of the axles at a few places looking for the dreaded "egged out" spring hangars, equalizers, etc.
Air or electric brakes?
lectric
Even though I have an air-braked dump, I’d rather have electric for the times I will use it behind the Ram.

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #32  
Should be able to get your money out of it if the perfect one comes along later.

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #33  
I still dont understand why the inspection price varies? Its just an inspection right? Not an inspect and fix?

If the trailer were perfect and nothing wrong, vs an inspector pointing out a dozen different things.....dont understand why the cost difference?

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #34  
I would guess those wheels are 16" and maybe they couldn't find 6 all the same. Per the web site, they were originally equipped with 16.5's.

Even with small repairs I don't see a downside with the selling price. The wheel clicking is likely a slightly loose bearing.

I still dont understand why the inspection price varies? Its just an inspection right? Not an inspect and fix?

If the trailer were perfect and nothing wrong, vs an inspector pointing out a dozen different things.....dont understand why the cost difference?

The inspection price varies because it is unknown what repairs will be needed for it to pass PA inspection and be road legal.
So the final price of purchase PLUS repairs price varies for ME and I’d prefer not to pay another $500-$1,000 or more making repairs to it. I don’t have the time.

Sellers who sell trailers, trucks, cars with no valid state inspection do it for a reason-it probably needs significant repairs. Otherwise, the seller would have it inspected and ready to legally tow home.

$4,000 in roadworthy condition is a steal.
$5,000 (price plus time spent & repairs) is just an average buy.

Make sense? Probably not lol

Last edited:
I would guess those wheels are 16" and maybe they couldn't find 6 all the same. Per the web site, they were originally equipped with 16.5's.

Even with small repairs I don't see a downside with the selling price. The wheel clicking is likely a slightly loose bearing.

It felt like loose lug nuts. I could see the wheel moving a bit off the drum.
But if it IS a loose wheel bearing, then there’s repairs coming.

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #37  
A slightly loose wheel bearing is normal on a trailer, don't mean it is bad. A bare 7k axle is only $400 or a complete with brakes is only $1000. You are talking about repairs on a $14k trailer, that's peanuts. You have always said you aren't interested in a tri axle, so you are looking for excuses not to buy it.

How many trailer threads have you started? You have yet to buy one:D

A slightly loose wheel bearing is normal on a trailer, don't mean it is bad. A bare 7k axle is only $400 or a complete with brakes is only $1000. You are talking about repairs on a $14k trailer, that's peanuts. You have always said you aren't interested in a tri axle, so you are looking for excuses not to buy it.

How many trailer threads have you started? You have yet to buy one:D
I bought one in 2020. 🤣
My thread premise was if if the trailer was a steal, not that I’m buying it.

Last edited:
   / Is this trailer a “steal”? #39  
Yea, you dont want overly tight wheel bearings on a trailer. Not like packing old 1980's truck front axle bearings where you wanted a little preload.

If there is zero play and a little on the tight side, going down the road will heat things up and they wont last as long.

Most recommendations on trailer bearings is hand tight/zero play on the bearing, then BACK the nut off to the next available cotter hole. IE....slightly loose/a little clunk is better than too tight.

But hard to tell exactly without jacking the wheel up

/ Is this trailer a “steal”? #40  
It is a steal, if it works for your needs. If not, then yes, keep looking. What did you buy in '20? I guess I missed that one. I don't think it was your big one.