Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue.
Looking at the areas I bolded above, I don't think this is unusual. But I'd check to be sure your front tire pressure is high enough to reduce resistance, and be sure your RPMs are high enough to keep your hydro system working at its full capacity. A very heavy load in the air, and trying to turn the wheels while not moving, is pushing your hydro to it's limits.
Thanks. I’ll check that this morning before going any further.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #22  
Multiple things to digest here.

First, steering doesnt sound normal. It is normal to be able to force the steering wheel to turn and make the wheel NOT move like if its in a rut of something....but my experience is that takes quite a bit of force from the operator. So sounds like something aint right.

I wouldnt balk at the dealer too much for overlooking a missing zerk. As to loose bolts....can you take a pic of just what bolts you tightened? I cannot think of very many bolts on my quick attach.....and the ones that are there are usually adjusting bolts for for the mechanism (with a spring too) and if you go messing with them you may make things worse.

Finally....where in the world on you 3PH do you have grease zerks?

Multiple things to digest here.

First, steering doesnt sound normal. It is normal to be able to force the steering wheel to turn and make the wheel NOT move like if its in a rut of something....but my experience is that takes quite a bit of force from the operator. So sounds like something aint right.

I wouldnt balk at the dealer too much for overlooking a missing zerk. As to loose bolts....can you take a pic of just what bolts you tightened? I cannot think of very many bolts on my quick attach.....and the ones that are there are usually adjusting bolts for for the mechanism (with a spring too) and if you go messing with them you may make things worse.

Finally....where in the world on you 3PH do you have grease zerks?
Attached are pics of the zero fittings on the 3ph and bolts on the loader (the ones with the lock nuts). You can see one that’s still loose on the bottom.

Attachments

• 5C3C0984-EE6B-4E01-8A3E-8BE6AB333353.jpeg
    5C3C0984-EE6B-4E01-8A3E-8BE6AB333353.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 207
  • 917C087F-4D31-4C1E-A3DF-1AA3A5CF9E2A.jpeg
    917C087F-4D31-4C1E-A3DF-1AA3A5CF9E2A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 202
Here’s a video. I swear the steering was a lot softer yesterday. Maybe I’m misremembering or temp is a factor.

thoughts?

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #25  
The pin retaining bolts on the loader aren't supposed to be "tight", that's why they have nylon locking nuts on them. The pins need to be able to have some movement, nuts only need to be on enough to get the nylon nut to work.

As for the top and side link, they typically have grease on the threads from the factory and don't really require greasing right away, all it does is make a mess.

As for the steering, almost sounds like the orbital valve has an internal leak.

Also make sure all the steering linkages to the valve aren't slipping, not sure if the MX is like the Grand L where the valve is up front and there is a shaft with multiple joints that runs to it from the steering wheel.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #26  
Just saw the video, that looks normal, did you take a video of trying to turn it with the engine off?

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #27  
Video shows normal steering.

I agree with TMGT on the other two issues.

Sounds to me like you have a perfect working tractor and an overreaction to loose bolts and dry grease zerks. Glad I asked for pics. But everything perfectly normal. Now everything is still normal only you have bolts tighter than needed and a greasy mess on your toplink and sidelink

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #28  
Do you know where in the operations manual it explains how the steering should operate? I looked all over and couldn't find anything explaining what you just stated.
It don't but the WSM (Workshop Manual does, in detail). Of course you have to buy that and it ain't cheap.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #29  
Everything described sounds like normal hydro steering to me. I was confused when I bought my (used) tractor too. As long as it steers well when moving, you're good.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #30  
Am I the only one that find odd that the OP's tractor can't even steer to full lock with barely a full bucket of loose dirt on a packed surface? Is that really normal steering operation for Kubota tractors? I mean, if it was sitting on loose ground, I would give the benefit of the doubt but that's not the case.

The only time my tractor wouldn't steer with a bucket full of dirt (including the heap), was because left wheel was sitting on the bottom of a furrow and couldn't physically turn left or right, otherwise it will just turn easily, with the tractor not moving.

Also, with the amount of money you guys in the US pay for PDI, I would at least expect grease on all the fittings.