Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #41  
I noticed it when I couldn’t back up around a corner. It does it when moving at slow speeds as well and in the brush with no load. It's just easier to demonstrate with the tractor stopped.
Now that's COOL.(y)(y)

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #42  
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check the axle fluid as well. Agreed on other topics. This is my situation exactly. New owner. Had a large project this week and ended up buying kubota b/c I didn't want to be dealing with issues while trying to get the work done.
It should all work out fine. Don't know all the answers yet but I don't think I've ever heard of a problem Kubota out of the gate.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #43  
Ohh boy... this has been quite the experience thus far. I was quite happy to finally get a tractor and start putting it to use. Tried it out by moving a bit of dirt and notice a clicking noise. Checked and one of the grease fittings wasn’t greased. No problem. I added some. Then I noticed none of the 3 point hitch fittings had been greased. Then I noticed the fitting on the front right knuckle was broken (not me, tractor was brand new at the time). So they sent me a new fitting and I replaced it and topped off the grease. Then I noticed all of my quick attach pin bolts were like hand tight. Literally 1/2” or more of threads showing. Did a thorough check and assume I’m good....

Today I took on one of my first big projects which involves clearing some of my land. There’s a lot of grapevine, privit and small sweet gums that have taken over the property. So I get to work pushing over some small trees and dragging the box blade/bucket around to clean up the area. Most of the work was in 2wd only using 4wd when needed... then something seems odd... It happens when I’m transporting a very heavy load of bricks on a pallet.

I noticed that I can turn the steering wheel when stopped and the wheels won’t turn sometimes. Almost like it’s slipping. It’s definitely noticeable in the brush where there’s thick top soil and brush on the ground. I also begin to notice it seems to do it some when moving slowly. When shut off, the wheel turns and feels like it’s kind of clicking. Wheels turn a little but not much before the steering wheel slips.

Given the issues I’ve had thus far, I’m worried something is wrong. Am I just paranoid? I definitely don’t trust this dealer at this point given my experience so far...

Thanks for all the help.
Contact the dealer‘s manager &/or owner & try to reason with him. If that doesn’t work, start by contacting the manufacturer. I am certain that they don’t want any bad press. They will force the dealer to act or take it upon themselves to make sure your tractor is in good operating condition. The dealer might have a bad employee that is screwing things up or if the dealer himself is at fault, he risks loosing his concession...

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #44  
Any tractor (any brand) should be delivered with all pins and points greased. That is a terrible oversight. After that, Kubota usually says to grease every 10 hours. Sloppy shop procedures and oversights do happen. I have a friend who has the same model tractor as I. After using the tractor about 2 weeks, his front hyfraulic 4wd assemblies would not work. Limped backed home and called the dealer. The dealer picked it up, inspected the tractor, and found the tractor was delivered somehow without sufficient fluid in the front wheel drive units. They replaced both sides and cleaned up the hydraulic system (not sure what that means) and delivered it back in about 2 weeks. They fired the person who was supposed to be responsible for making sure it was ready for delivery. Apparently this was not the only time.
There was another discussion here on TBN about all the fees regarding a new tractor purchase. Maybe they shouldn't have charged you the "assembly fee" if the tractor was not ready for delivery. I also have a Kubota and love my tractor from the first time I started it. What you are experiencing (to me) doesn't reflect badly on Kubota, but it certainly does not speak well for the dealer. Anyway, sorry to hear your experience has not been better. I think the MX series are really good tractors. I also remember another post (in a discussion of best tractor) I stated that most tractors are really good if sold by a good dealer. Best wishes, I hope the tractor becomes what you wanted it to be, SOON. Larry

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #45  
I have same issue with TN80F with slow hydraulic oil leak. Like steppenwolfe says fill up your fluid level. Thank your lucky stars if this is only problems you have. Tractors are 3 major systems in one machine (not counting smart computer chips involved in newer machines). You got 3 point, hydraulics, and engine/transmission. You gotta be your own mechanic most of time - or you will be hitched to the dealer. If you keep it shedded, lubed, adjusted and started at least once monthly you will be ok.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #46  
Let's calm down about the grease or lack of it. It was the manual-screw top link, and hand crank on the side link. Possibly the least critical points for grease on the tractor. They should have been greased, but a single pump will last years on those.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #47  
Ohh boy... this has been quite the experience thus far. I was quite happy to finally get a tractor and start putting it to use. Tried it out by moving a bit of dirt and notice a clicking noise. Checked and one of the grease fittings wasn’t greased. No problem. I added some. Then I noticed none of the 3 point hitch fittings had been greased. Then I noticed the fitting on the front right knuckle was broken (not me, tractor was brand new at the time). So they sent me a new fitting and I replaced it and topped off the grease. Then I noticed all of my quick attach pin bolts were like hand tight. Literally 1/2” or more of threads showing. Did a thorough check and assume I’m good....

Today I took on one of my first big projects which involves clearing some of my land. There’s a lot of grapevine, privit and small sweet gums that have taken over the property. So I get to work pushing over some small trees and dragging the box blade/bucket around to clean up the area. Most of the work was in 2wd only using 4wd when needed... then something seems odd... It happens when I’m transporting a very heavy load of bricks on a pallet.

I noticed that I can turn the steering wheel when stopped and the wheels won’t turn sometimes. Almost like it’s slipping. It’s definitely noticeable in the brush where there’s thick top soil and brush on the ground. I also begin to notice it seems to do it some when moving slowly. When shut off, the wheel turns and feels like it’s kind of clicking. Wheels turn a little but not much before the steering wheel slips.

Given the issues I’ve had thus far, I’m worried something is wrong. Am I just paranoid? I definitely don’t trust this dealer at this point given my experience so far...

Thanks for all the help.
Been there done that…

new l3659 HSTC 100 hours I noticed the sane thing. A trip to the dealer to see the Kubota rep.
Texted all pressures for steering and ever thing was nominal.
What this tells me is that on the newer tractors, at least in this soze range, the Blk be bodies that split up the fluid for the steering and the power beyond (or the loader), seems to give more priority to the loader under load, starving the power steering circuit of fluid or pressure.
I know, it doesn’t sound right, but when it gets down to holding up a load or a situation where you need to turn the wheel while not moving, the load gets the fluid and pressure.

I have not tried pulling the refs up to see if I still experience that when the loader is under pressure to perform. It’s possible that it’s just that one can’t do many things at once when the tractor is in more of a stand still position, possibly under a lower general RPM than when moving.
The HSTC Grand L has throttle advance, which allows the engine to idle when your not working and then throttle up when yiu hit the pedal. So at idle, under load at the bucket, there isn’t a lot of fluid pressure or movement going on under the hood. I suspect that was what was causing the exact same thing you experienced, to happen to me.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #48  
Don't be shy; your money, your investment. Dealer needs to hold up his end of the bargain. It's his job...
In my view the issues you are seeing & fixing and experiencing are all because the dealer did not do a proper setup. I've had multiple Kubota tractors and they don't have these issues. Get the dealer to do a full thorough proper fixing.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #49  
Horse Hocky. You get that tractor back to the dealer and have him do what he was supposed to do before delivery. There is a very detailed process

to delivering a new tractor. He didn't do it. There should be no clicking noise in the power steering. My wheel turn easily while sitting still. I don't like your dealer.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #50  
Posts like this are exactly why I always question people or their motives when they try to publicly defame a brand or dealer.

The ONLY thing that the dealer overlooked was ONE broken grease zerk. But now too many keyboard warriors that dont know how to read beyond the first page and get to page 3 where I asked for pictures.....and they finally got posted and we realize these loose bolts and dry fittings is NORMAL. STOP MAKING A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT AND READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE COMMENTING.

The steering issue is questionable......certainly worth the dealer to look at it. But again....no fault of the dealer. They aint gonna load a heaping bucket of stone in a customers new tractor and scratch the bucket paint now would they:cool:. Otherwise you'd be demanding a new bucket.