It's time; either get started or....

/ It's time; either get started or.... #201  
sad-emoji.png

keep us updated.

/ It's time; either get started or....
The repairs/modifications I listed in my previous post are all done and I just found a few minutes to try it out. The dipper cylinder is a 12" and I could use a couple more inches there but for now it will have to do. The swing cylinder seems to be behaving so that's good too. The clutch for the hydraulic pump still allows the belt to slip but for now I can dig so other than lengthening a linkage I'll leave that as it is. For now I believe I can call the project completed and I thank each one of you who have helped me along the way. All the advice was appreciated and helpful.:):):)

Last edited:
   / It's time; either get started or....
Well, though I declared the project completed, the belt slippage issue has not gone away. Consequently, I'm opening the thread again to pump TBNers for opinions/advice/criticism!! Due to drought conditions, the clay soil I need to dig is like concrete. As a result, as soon as I try, the hydraulics stall. I've modified the belt tightener to no avail. It's not helping that the oil seal of the vertical shaft engine seeps just enough to wet the belt a little and you all can guess the rest. Since that engine is old and tired anyway, I'm looking to replace rather than repair. When I do, I want to put in a horizontal shaft version so I can direct drive the hydraulic pump off the output shaft and eliminate the belt drive. Has anyone reading this done a conversion like this and "lived to tell the tale?"
I've looked at the underside of the tractor to get an idea what could be involved and the possible rerouting of belts and repositioning of clutch components, etc. Once I remove all the gear I added for the installation of the belt drive for the hydraulic pump, I think there should be enough room to get 'er done. Thoughts? Advice????