It's time; either get started or....

/ It's time; either get started or.... #141  
An update. I recorded a video yesterday of the excavator in operation.

Finally got a bit of gasoline for it. :cool2: When I edited the near 300 MB video in windows movie maker I somehow lost the sound.

So I figured instead of having a quiet video I would add some music to it. Didn't want to add something that would get the music muted for copyright.

So I used the backing track to Brad Paisleys song "Water" and made up a song. I call it the excavator song.

I just made the words up to the song on the spot.

I'm uploading the video to youtube and will post a thread when it gets uploaded.

Chad

/ It's time; either get started or....
I'm gearing up to get moving again on this project. One of the issues I've had is the chuck-speed of my drill press. It has been just too fast for the hole cutting saws and a related issue has been that the motor it came with is simply "puny"!:grumpy: Sooo... as I threatened to do quite some time ago on another thread - rawinok2's mini dozer build -, I have made some modifications;). I considered posting this on his thread but decided against it in case that attracted unwelcome attention to what he has going on right now.

I have two drill presses like this so there is no need to retain the variable chuck speed capabilities on this one. First photo shows the step-down thing-a-mabob. Second photo you see the hidden components. Both the bearing and the short shaft are press-fit. Third one shows a conveniently positioned threaded hole where I'll bolt the thing-a-mabob into place. Fourth - the puny motor I swapped out for a 1/4 hp. That motor does not have a plate to identify brand nor power/rpm info. Hmm...:muttering: The last one shows the way it looks now with the changes and ready to drill. I've done a test hole with the 1.5" hole saw and although I can still stall it, I can easily control that. The chuck speed has dropped from 570 rpm - no load, to 320 rpm - no load. Load speed will be quite a bit less, of coarse, and that is just fine by me. I hope to put in some shop-time soon and get this machine a-diggin'!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1624.JPG
    IMG_1624.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 231
   / It's time; either get started or.... #143  
Good to see you back at it again!!

I know that a slower speed drill press made a HUGE difference in my projects.

/ It's time; either get started or.... #144  
Might have to try that trick on my drill press. It could really use some slowing down.

Chad

I think I am ready to restart or resume this thread - it has been rather a long time since I did any work on this machine.:ashamed: Like someone in another post once wrote "Life got in the way!" I have been putting in an hour or three here and there for the past month or so and I am moving on to the hydraulics issues. I am far from expert where hydraulic systems are concerned so I will lean heavily on any advice I can get from you good folks on this forum.:)

I have a pump salvaged from a bale-loader and am trying to use as much of the hard line from it as is IMG_1921.JPGpractical. Where flexing is going on, I will switch to hoses. Because of budget constraints, I am scrounging wherever possible which brings me to the advice I need. For the boom, dipper, bucket and swing functions, I have purchased a 4 spool set of controls. That leaves me to somehow add controls for the outrigger legs and the dozer. One of my coffee-shop buddies had a two valve spool lying around for years that he let me have. For the dozer blade lift I have one of the valves from the bale-loader. The 4 spool and the 2 spool are both plumbed for 1/2" while the single spool is plumbed for3/8". Is it possible to connect them all in series? This is all open-center stuff.

Sorry the pics are scattered around on the page. I mostly don't know what I'm doing with this computer.:confused3: The first one is of the 4-spool control and my messy:eek: shop. the other two are of the rest of the valves and the dozer setup. It came off another garden tractor I have.

Attachments

• IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1926.JPG
    IMG_1926.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 311
Sorry its been so long, folks. About seven and a half years since I last posted anything to this thread. I'm wondering if any of the guys who were following and lending me advice are still around. I had to do a long, long pause due to other responsibilities and lack of funds to finish the hydraulics. I am getting ready to resume the final push and get this backhoe ready for work in time for Spring.

/ It's time; either get started or.... #147  
Just now finished reading your thread from the first post. Very interesting and good luck finishing it 2_thumbs-up.png.

Thanks Xfaxman, the challenges are real and numerous, but once the temperatures in the "Great White North" ease enough to allow for working without mitts or gloves it should help. I just dug this machine out from under a significant pile of stuff I had draped over and around it and was relieved to discover that the engine is NOT ceased nor is the hydraulic pump. While I'm waiting for milder conditions I'll do an inventory of the lines I still need to run and watch for a sale on a triple spool valve in place of what I was originally intending to use. The rest of the project should then be just a matter of assembly followed by building the "shoes" on the outriggers and finishing the teeth on the bucket. I have all the materials for that. Once I re-learn how to post pix on this thread I'll do that. Cheers everyone!!

I need some advice related to assigning functions to the spool valves operating the cylinders of the bucket, dipper, boom and swing. I could assign them any way I like but if another operator tried to use it and the valves were not standard arrangement, there could be problems. So I'd rather do it right the first time. The remaining cylinders for the stabilizers and dozer blade will be operated from a separate set of valves using power beyond and I do not anticipate any issues with them. Thankyou in advance for any helpful tips.