It's time; either get started or....

/ It's time; either get started or....
Thanks aczlan, that helps a bit. I should have clarified that I am working with what must be old-fashioned system here - spool valves operating one cylinder per valve. So I have four valves to operate the boom, dipper, bucket and swing. I have a separate set of three valves to deploy the stabilizers and the dozer blade that serves as a substitute for the FEL that one normally finds on a backhoe. What I am leaning toward is to assign as follows: from left to right - swing, bucket, dipper and boom. Since I am left handed, I would keep my right hand ready to operate the boom and move my left from one to the others as needed. Most operators are not lefties which is why I'm looking for the accepted standards for these controls. I am ambidextrous enough to handle whatever the standard may be.

/ It's time; either get started or.... #152  
Why not make two spools on each side into a joystick?

I will try to remember to draw up the adapter I saw once.
Was $20-30 in parts IIRC.

Aaron Z

Hmm... Never heard of that before but sounds interesting and makes sense. I'd like to see how that's done.

/ It's time; either get started or.... #154  
Hmm... Never heard of that before but sounds interesting and makes sense. I'd like to see how that's done.
IMG_20210224_210825937.jpg
They had 3 swivel rod ends bolted to a triangle shaped piece of plate lined up like the ball joints in that picture.

Aaron Z

I'm not seeing how I would modify the spool valves that I have. In post #145 I show a picture of the four spool valve I am using. It does not show much detail but I can try posting a picture with better detail once I figure out how to do that. Its been a while.

/ It's time; either get started or.... #156  
That should still work, flip the handle bracket around, then use a rod end like this:
uxcell 12mm Rod End Bearing M12x1.75mm Rod Ends Ball Joint Male Right Hand Thread: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
One bolted to the end of the lever bracket (that currently faces the tractor) and one bolted to the same spot on the other with an extension that is as long as the space between the two valves and a 3rd to a bracket on the frame that makes an equilateral triangle with the other two rod ends.

Aaron Z

/ It's time; either get started or.... #157  
An image search found a drawing that might help understand how the joystick operates two valves:

joystick.jpg

You guys are early risers :). What I'll probably do is search the manufacturer of the valves and see if they offer a mod kit and see if I can copy it somehow. Failing that, I'll look into adapting the information you good folks have offered, thanks.

/ It's time; either get started or.... #159  
You guys are early risers :). What I'll probably do is search the manufacturer of the valves and see if they offer a mod kit and see if I can copy it somehow. Failing that, I'll look into adapting the information you good folks have offered, thanks.
Surplus Center carries them.

Aaron Z

The valve set I have I bought at Princess Auto, a Canadian outfit similar, I think, to Harbor Freight.