JD 1070 Wont Start

/ JD 1070 Wont Start #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
I noticed a spark on the right side (sitting on the seat) of my tractor when I started her last. I had a friend start it so I could actually see where the spark was. It came from a rusted bolt, maybe the ground for the battery, on the right side. The bolt actually got red! I tried to start her last night and not enough juice, just a bunch of clicking. I did get her running with a battery charger, and I ran it for a long time. I tried it this morning and same clicking. I guess my first step is to take a better look at that bolt, and see exactly what it is, and why it would spark. If it is the ground I would see how the alternator wouldn't charge the battery. How would I test a tractor alternator as my 2nd step. I remember way back testing a car alternator by pulling off the positive terminal from the battery while running. Not sure if that was safe for me or the car. Does the alternator testers at auto stores test tractor alternators?

Any help please. Can't have her down for long. The "W" months have almost set it.

Thank you,
DaveD

/ JD 1070 Wont Start #2  
Sounds like you have a loose connection, that needs to be fixed first! Clean all grounds with a wire brush or sandpaper and make sure they are tight. after it's running use a voltmeter to check the voltage-you should see about 14 volts if the alternator is good.

/ JD 1070 Wont Start #3  
Replace the bolt that glowed red. Clean all connections on ALL ends of wires.

/ JD 1070 Wont Start
I changed out the positive battery cable and the negitive cable. I cleaned up the ground and replaced the bolt. She fired right up. The reason I replaced the positive was I had replaced the battery last year and the cable was real tight. I figured while I was in there, might as well make it right. I went to a JD dealer and they priced me the new cables at $100.00, I decided to go to NAPA instead and saved $50. I also think these cables are better quality than the stock JD cables. Love my local NAPA!!!!

Big Green Sexy back in business!!!