JD 2305 wont start

/ JD 2305 wont start #1  

BrockInCG

Tractor
JD/2305
Hello and hey.
First post, long time lurker though. I've searched and while some of the results have been helpful (pics of parts, schematics, etc) have been helpful I've not been able to fix this **** tractor. I'm not *exactly* an idiot, but I'm pretty close to an useless with internal combustion engines I think. I know electronics and other stuff, but engines are a mystery. On to the issue(s)...

A JD 2305, eight or so years old. Not a lot of hours (~400). I can be a couple months between uses in the winter/spring. It's been a good little workhorse and gets the job done in tight spaces and STEEP terrain.

I went to use it to plow a bunch of snow off our drive a while ago and it started fine, but when I would shift into gear it would die immediately, several times (turning on PTO would do the same thing). Eventually ran for about 15 minutes, ran "normal" then died. Hasn't started since. It's been in the garage since. I've checked the fuses, v4 diode (that many have reported having issues with), fuel shutoff and other minor electrical stuff. Everything was operating as it should. I've ventured into the engine compartment a bit more and took the fuel filter out/checked flow and it's good there. There's good flow at the braided hose that goes into what I'm calling the pump/injector block (hose comes from fuel filter and then hardlines leave it to the engine block). I took the hardlines off the engine block end to see if there was good flow there and it was just a tiny bit from each. It wasn't a spurt or much, even while cranking. A tiny drip, if that. Cranking it with the hose off the "pump" the fuel flow was obnoxious (constantly spurting). I took the hardlines all the way off and "cleared" them. No blockages. Still won't start.

A buddy said drain the fuel and put new in, perhaps the fuel is "bad". What else should I do? I don't need to hear "Buy a Kubota". We have what we have. Thanks in advance and I definitely appreciate the assistance. Feeling a bit frustrated.

Brock...

/ JD 2305 wont start #2  
start with the obvious-- check you seat switch first, mine went bad in a month

/ JD 2305 wont start
Thanks for the reply.
It cranks, like a champ...just won't run, catch. In my understanding the seat switch interrupts the process and won't even let it crank. FWIW, I bypassed the seat switch years ago.

/ JD 2305 wont start #4  
Do you have GOOD fuel flow from tank to inj pump???? Is tank vent open IE not plugged?

/ JD 2305 wont start
No clue about vent, but I'll find it and check. The injector pump squirts an obnoxious amount of fuel while cranking. I didn't measure it, but it was quite a bit. Thank you.

Brock...

/ JD 2305 wont start #6  
After you took the lines apart did you bleed the system? Even if the injector is working properly the tiniest air bubble in the system will keep a diesel from starting.

/ JD 2305 wont start
See, this is one of the reasons I feel like an *** with this engine stuff: didn't know I needed to bleed it. Don't know how. I can bleed brakes! Doesn't help here though. I'll figure it out and make it happen. Thank you for the tip.

Brock...

/ JD 2305 wont start #8  
Not familiar with your tractor but on most there are slotted screw heads or tiny bolt heads that are opened until all bubbling stops and pure fluid flows through. Some of these bleed areas are at the top of the bowl filter, where the fluid line flows into the injector and on the exit side of the injector. Someone familiar with your unit will write in and let you know where you need to do this on your unit. Bleed in order from the tank forward. This also needs to be done if you ever run out of fuel.

/ JD 2305 wont start #9  
Hello and hey.
First post, long time lurker though. I've searched and while some of the results have been helpful (pics of parts, schematics, etc) have been helpful I've not been able to fix this **** tractor. I'm not *exactly* an idiot, but I'm pretty close to an useless with internal combustion engines I think. I know electronics and other stuff, but engines are a mystery. On to the issue(s)...

A JD 2305, eight or so years old. Not a lot of hours (~400). I can be a couple months between uses in the winter/spring. It's been a good little workhorse and gets the job done in tight spaces and STEEP terrain.

I went to use it to plow a bunch of snow off our drive a while ago and it started fine, but when I would shift into gear it would die immediately, several times (turning on PTO would do the same thing). Eventually ran for about 15 minutes, ran "normal" then died. Hasn't started since. It's been in the garage since.
So far it sounds like fuel starvation- dies when you put it into gear, (load on engine) and try to move. Not sure why PTO engaged would make it die, unless it's getting very little fuel... I've checked the fuses, v4 diode (that many have reported having issues with), fuel shutoff {What did you do to verify this item?} and other minor electrical stuff. Everything was operating as it should. I've ventured into the engine compartment a bit more and took the fuel filter out/checked flow and it's good there~ How did you check flow here? Did you replace the filter with a new one? Was there any evidence of wax or water in the fuel bowl? What was the outside temperature when it stalled out? There's good flow at the braided hose that goes into what I'm calling the pump/injector block (hose comes from fuel filter and then hardlines leave it to the engine block). I took the hardlines off the engine block end to see if there was good flow there and it was just a tiny bit from each. It wasn't a spurt or much, even while cranking. A tiny drip, if that. It could be something blocking the flow inside the IP, (injection pump), depending on exactly how much fuel is at each injector nozzle... Cranking it with the hose off the "pump" the fuel flow was obnoxious (constantly spurting). I took the hardlines all the way off and "cleared" them. No blockages. But you haven't tested the individual injectors to see if they are spraying or just dripping fuel. If they're not spraying and at the correct pressure and pattern then you would have run issues... Still won't start.

A buddy said drain the fuel and put new in, perhaps the fuel is "bad". What else should I do? I don't need to hear "Buy a Kubota". We have what we have. Thanks in advance and I definitely appreciate the assistance. Feeling a bit frustrated.

Brock...

Answer what you know about what's above in red text, thx,

CM

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2014 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Pickup, (A35430)
2014 Chevrolet...
2015 John Deere 6105M Slope Mower 4WD Tractor (A35915)
2015 John Deere...
2017 Ford F150 Crew Cab Pickup, (A35430)
2017 Ford F150...
2016 Altec S/A Material Trailer 7 1/2ft x 10ft (A35915)
2016 Altec S/A...
2024 Wolverine TQH-26-01C 3-Point Hitch Trailer Mover Attachment (A35915)
2024 Wolverine...
1998 Woodchuck Brush Chipper, (A35430)
1998 Woodchuck...