JD 4100 Electrical Question

/ JD 4100 Electrical Question #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
I have a JD4100 that's about 5 1/2 years old. I guess it's a 2003 maybe. It's the last year of production.

I'm considering purchase of an electric sprayer to mount on the 3PH. Any idea were I can tap off the power to run the pump on the sprayer? I think they are diaphragm pumps and don't draw too much power.

There may be a connector under the seat, but I'm not sure when, or if, it 's live.

Thanks.

/ JD 4100 Electrical Question #2  
I run an electric sprayer rated at 7 amps. I had a 12 ft heavy extension cord which I ran from the battery back to the sprayer on the 3ph. I inserted a switch on the positive side and mounted it on the fender for easy on/off access. Also, used clamps for convenient connection to battery. Works well for me.
Be careful using too small wire to prevent excessive voltage drop across the wire resulting in lower voltage to pump and lower pump pressure.

/ JD 4100 Electrical Question
That would work, but I'm hoping that there's already a power connector back there somewhere.:)

/ JD 4100 Electrical Question #4  
Have you considered a pto pump? Way more pressure and volume than the electrics. I've got one on my 60 gal. sprayer that I use to fertilize my pine trees.

/ JD 4100 Electrical Question #5  
I am 99% certain that my 4300 has an extra hot wire in one of those plugs under the seat just for things like this. You will have to start pulling things apart and use a test light or meter to locate which is the right one. Look for a plug with a looped wire, possibly red and check it first. It will probably be hot only when the key is on and fed from the accessory relay.
I needed extra power for my radio, power outlet, work lights etc so I just ran a new fused wire straight from the battery up front to the ROPS and up to the roof. This way I knew what capacity wires I was installing instead of the #16-18 that JD used.

/ JD 4100 Electrical Question #7  
You might look on the back of the tractor under the seat, it might have a trailer wiring harness option. You might be able to tap into it, if you have it

/ JD 4100 Electrical Question #8  
On the 4100(same as my 4110) There is no extra power lead in the rear. The only wire there is for the light circuit and I would not recomend using that as is goes through the light switch.

The best way is hook it to the battery as SunnySide suggested, or if you want a permanent solution you can wire a new 30 amp circuit to the rear through a relay like I did HERE.

Thanks KennyD, I looked at the other thread and may stop by West Marine and see what they have available. I did steal your hydraulic valve install data last year and furnished the pictures to my local JD dealer. They duplicated your brackets and all. :D

I need to look tonight if I get home in time, but I'm pretty sure I've seen an unused Molex connector under the seat near the back of the tractor. I need to take another look before I get too far ahead.