JD 4300 won't start

/ JD 4300 won't start #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
I have a JD 4300 that cranks but won't start. I checked the air and fuel filter and all is ok with them. I just recently purchased the tractor and it has always started and ran strong. My uncle took it upon himself to drive it to the corner gas station and put some diesel in it. I was thinking it could possibly be bad gas, but don't really know. Any suggestions would help. I can troubleshoot a gas engine but am new to diesel engines.

/ JD 4300 won't start #2  
Did he actually put diesel in it? Maybe gas instead? If that checks, I would ensure that you are actually getting fuel to the injectors.

/ JD 4300 won't start
Yeah, I thought the same thing and made him take me to the pump and it is diesel. How do you check if fuel is getting to the injectors?

/ JD 4300 won't start #4  
Take a look at the water separator...see if there's water in the system.

However, it really sounds like the infamous thermistor problem (TBN search for "thermistor").

/ JD 4300 won't start #5  

However, it really sounds like the infamous thermistor problem (TBN search for "thermistor").

That would be my guess as well.

/ JD 4300 won't start
RoyJackson said:

Thanks Roy, I looked at and emptied the water seperator. There wasn't anything of consequence regarding water in the glass. I was thinking thermistor also after reading some posts here on TBN. Is there anyway to test it and where is it located?